Fly Fusion Forums

How To Teach Women To Fly Fish

How to Teach Fly Fishing to Women

Contributor - By an eHow Contributing Writer

The popularity of fly fishing among women has increased dramatically over the last few years. It's not just men teaching--it's also women who have been fly fishing for years. Teaching fly fishing to women is fairly easy if the woman is interested in learning.

Difficulty: Moderate Instructions.

Step 1

Explain that there are many nuances and details that she needs to pick up on in order to be successful at fly fishing. Fly casting for women is an individual technique. Women are not as much into all the details and nuances as men with the technique required for fly fishing.

Step 2

Teach her fly fishing from her perspective. Understand that women tend to learn better from other women because the environment is much more relaxed and less intimidating.

Step 3

Take her to your local river for a fly fishing lesson. Show her the proper way to hold the fly fishing pole and how to choose the best flies. Show her how you do it, and have her emulate what you do.

Step 4

Encourage her by telling her she's doing a good job and that she's doing it right. Also, be sure to laugh and joke around with her. If she's having fun, she'll enjoy the experience more.

Step 5

Comment about how nice the scenery is. If she doesn't get to experience nature much, help her understand different types of fish and different types of flies. This will expand her interest in the hobby.

Step 6

Maximize her love of the outdoors by encouraging her to attend retreats for women led by woman fly fishing instructors. These retreats offer rest, relaxation and sharing good times with other women who want to learn fly fishing just like she does. A lot of these retreats also have other points of interest like nature walks or hiking.

Step 7

Encourage her to join an online forum dedicated to women who love to fly fish. It's fun, informative and she'll get the experiences and tips of the sport from other women.

June Cleaver was such a good sport, being chained to the stove and all, never gets out into nature to commune with the birds and the see how pretty the mountains are. she just loved it. if it wasnt a E-how, i swear it was written in the 50's. while some of the points are valid some of them are off the wall IMO.

E-How to "teach a woman to fly fish"

Guest Sundancefisher
Bwahahaha!!!

'Nuff said.

Step 9... If she says you are doing something wrong... She is always right. Just nod and agree.

Step 10...If she says she is having problems getting the hang of it...your job is to just listen, nod understandingly and if needed...apply a hug...

Generally speaking, women are easier to teach fly casting to because they already have the "finesse thing" figured out, women are more difficult to teach fly fishing to, because multi-tasking is almost habitual and total concentration on one specific activity is something that is self-developed. Guys can remain focused on only one thing for days at a time, as long as a great rack doesn't come along.

j

Generally speaking, women are easier to teach fly casting to because they already have the "finesse thing" figured out, women are more difficult to teach fly fishing to, because multi-tasking is almost habitual and total concentration on one specific activity is something that is self-developed. Guys can remain focused on only one thing for days at a time, as long as a great rack doesn't come along.

j

Badum Bum, Pisssh!

Step 12 - explain to her it's socially acceptable, on a river full of multi-tasking, serious males, to scream like a giddy school girl when you catch a fish - an experience similar to finding a good pair of Louboutins on sale.

Step 13 - pink fishing reels. Enough said.

Step 14 - it's OK to take your Go Girl fishing with you.

Step 15 - fishing should always be preceded by a manicure so that your nails look good when you're holding that 26 inch brown that you're gonna rub in all the boys' faces

Step 16 - if you catch a fish bigger than your partner's, there is a very real possibility that you won't need the "I have a headache" excuse that night...because he will want nothing to do with you.

Step 17 - waders do make your ass look big. But that's OK because you've got a big rack and that's what the guys will be looking at.

Step 18: Tell her she made you go shopping all those times, it's only fair if we go do something I like to do a few times :)

Step 19: If all else fails, tell her your mother is coming into town on the day you want to go fishing with her... she'll come... trust me. :)

Step 19: If all else fails, tell her your mother is coming into town on the day you want to go fishing with her... she'll come... trust me.

oddly, this did not work in the reverse for me. my ex didnt come fishing but he also didnt hang out with my mom either... apparently i did something wrong

Ladystrange,

Seriously - what are the "rules" for teaching FF to women.

I have been wanting and did try to get a women only course started in Rocky. Not enough interest but I'll keep trying.

FF is a head not physical game. Women are able to do as well as men - probably better from my experience.

regards,

Don

you are on the right track Don. i re-learned in a shorter period of time than most of the men i know who started in their 30's +. I picked up the sublties from watching and reading and fishing with those who have many many years experience.

i have found that in talking to a number of women over the years is that there are a number of obsitacals. there is the misconception about it being power sport rather than a sport of patience and finess.

1. don't want to touch the fish because they are slimy (my mom is a perfect example, can catch fish but will not touch them. i had to do it)

2. those with more timid personallities are intimidated, there is the mystique of it being a boys club and they dont know how or where to fit in

3. they dont have anyone to do it with

4. too difficult and technical

5. dont want to look stupid

i think the key may be to target the kids first and offer lessons to mom and son/daughter kind of thing. it's a bonding time and thing the kids can do with mom that is special. or find a few who are already into the sport and start a club or have the women be instructors. some women just feel more comfortable with and learning from other women.

some of the points that were made are valid, others are kind of stupid and marginally insulting. but i really do love kittens

From my experience with my much beloved wife of 21 years after sking (nordic and alpine), golfing and snorkeling the very best way for her to learn is not from me. I found it very benificial for her development at what ever to learn from a very knoledgeable, flattering, handsome, fit and younger proffesional guides/teacher. My apologies to the Bow river guides I've encountered as I'm afraid they really have to pick up there game to be effective at teaching girls (I'm sure they are knoledgable). The best part is she comes back having learned something to increase her enjoyment of what ever and I get a day to enjoy doing what ever. I don't make this shat up.