Fly Fusion Forums

Underwater

EdB

Beautiful shots, guys! Those are classic. Love the bull with the BA streamer hanging out. Great work.

I just wish I could come up with something 1/2 as good.

ok guys, i have been thinking about a 'waterproof' camera, what is the rig you are using for the underwater shots?

Hey there ladystrange,

Olympus SW720.Got it on eBay from Olympus (a refurb) for $400.00, shipping incl. no duty. I absolutely love it. MTB has one as well and really likes his as well. Troutlover has a Pentax W30 (I think) that he swears by. From what I have seen, the Olympus has the best screen in direct sunlight, but all of them suffer some in those conditions. You often will have to point and hope. But if you put the Olympus in burst mode (about 5 pics per second), the problem is solved. Burst mode is just fantastic for underwater shots. Check out my Livingstone posts http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=762) and http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=764) for an idea of what the Olympus can do. These were my first day with the camera.

Edit: I'd also ask LK2 what he is using as it is pretty awesome.

I saw that someone said something on duty in one of the posts. Am looking at a pontoon boat from the states. How do you know what has duty and what doesn't. is there someone to call?

I saw that someone said something on duty in one of the posts. Am looking at a pontoon boat from the states. How do you know what has duty and what doesn't. is there someone to call?

If your buying a new pontoon out of the US..Its gonna be damn near impossible to get it across duty free..a used one or through a personal seller of e-bay or somthing may get by..know anybody in the US?..get them to buy it and mail it to you..tough for high priced items to get past duty..from my experience anyway..

Hey Ed,

The reason that I didn't have to pay duty on the camera, I thought, is that Olympus (from California) charged me GST. Just like a purchase in Canada. Not sure how they pay it to Canada, but whatever. But now that I think of it, I don't really remember paying duty on anything I've bought from the states on eBay recently. Don't know what it is charged on. I just asked my wife and she has bought books from Amazon. No duty. Mayber there isn't duty anymore, or maybe if the purchase is small. Good question!

thanks Rickr, Tee and my buddy Maxwell - we still have to go fishing there boy. summer has been a disaster for house sitting, that is all i seem to be doing. maybe october when i am back from fishing the coast.

the link worked this time Tee, yikes. :huh: i'm not sure on the whole condom thing, maybe if my camera wasnt worth more than my paycheck, i might consider it. but well since it is a little pricier than that, i think i will hold off on trying it until i can find a cheap-o camera that i don't have to worry about...

i would rather have a higher end camera for what i want to take pictures of and the quality that i need.

great pics rickr.

maxwell - your facebook pics, those taken with the pentax? if so, i will go and look a little more carefully.

Ladystrange,

I would look at both the Pentax and Olympus. But if you can, I would highly recommend taking each one outside to test drive in bright sunshine and also scrolling through the features. I don't know how often you are in Calgary, but there is a camera shop downtown next to Hanson's that carries both and will let you take it outside to play with. Their prices are pretty fair as well.

Ladystrange,

I would look at both the Pentax and Olympus. But if you can, I would highly recommend taking each one outside to test drive in bright sunshine and also scrolling through the features. I don't know how often you are in Calgary, but there is a camera shop downtown next to Hanson's that carries both and will let you take it outside to play with. Their prices are pretty fair as well.

i live in calgary but dont get downtown much. i live in the north and work in the south. what is the name and/or address of the camera store.

i live in calgary but dont get downtown much. i live in the north and work in the south. what is the name and/or address of the camera store.

I got my pentex optio at future shop in shawnessy 300$. Best buy has them as well. Future shop has 2or 3 other models to choose from. Pentex was the cheapest.