Fly Fusion Forums

One-day Golden Trout Heli Trips

I've started to do some digging around for information on one-day Golden Trout Heli Trips. I've been in email communication with one company so far, but I really have no frame of reference to determine what is reasonable and expected.

If any of you have done this, and would be willing to share your experiences, it would be great to learn what you've learned :) I tried searching through the forum, but I didn't have any luck turning everything up.

PMs are good too.

I have hiked into Coral Lake, it is more of a fly in lake, hike was around 75 km round trip. Goldens averaged 14-16 inches, beautiful lake, high alpine, unfortunately some sign of harvest with a few clean skeletons. I have also hiked into rainy ridge lake, wouldn't fly into this one though, it is only 2-3 hours hike in. Many fish, mostly small (8-12 inches). I think Icefields heli flies into Coral and Michelle lakes, reasonable rates, based down near the Cline River off the highway. Have heard that Michelle is also a good option for decent sized Goldens. Good luck.

Guest Sundancefisher
Am I the only one that thinks in order to be able to fish for them you should earn it with the hike in?

LOL

I somewhat can agree. Hiking in 1 or 2 hours... The reward feels strong when you catch your first fish. However a 75 km ...one way hike...the only reward is less fishing time IMHO. Many people would horseback in that far...few hike. I would take the middle ground... Heli in and hike out if I could. Still if I have the money and not the time to waste...insofar as maximizing fishing time... I would heli in and out. Helicopters are fun to boot. I feel like an 8 year old every time I fly in one.

i looked into this a few years ago. why?? because i am too lazy.

it was with icefield heli, they were the only ones i could find. i want to say it was around 300 into michelle per person for the 15 min flight plus around $5 per pound of gear. they will take you up for the weekend or the day. done quote me, but that is what i think it was a few years ago.

Am I the only one that thinks in order to be able to fish for them you should earn it with the hike in?

Well, that is certainly a very romantic notion. I, however, am not much of a romantic.

It is also a pretty arrogant notion, from my perspective. These are publicly stocked and managed fisheries. Every tax paying Albertan with a fishing license should have the right to fish these lakes: regardless of physical ability, how they may choose to access the lakes, and how much time they can commit to the endevour.

Guest Sundancefisher
Well, that is certainly a very romantic notion. I, however, am not much of a romantic.

It is also a pretty arrogant notion, from my perspective. These are publicly stocked and managed fisheries. Every tax paying Albertan with a fishing license should have the right to fish these lakes: regardless of physical ability, how they may choose to access the lakes, and how much time they can commit to the endevour.

Being fair I think he was only referring to able bodied capable hikers and how there is a sense of accomplishment when hiking in. Kind of like waiting until Christmas day to open a present. The anticipation and hard work getting rewarded sort of an idea. I am thinking you are reading past his intent somehow suggesting he is biased against handicapped persons.

That being...I am all about catching them sooner than later. I am old enough to have hiked enough...

the accomplishment becomes bittersweet when after two solid days of hiking through snow, rain and grizzly bears you reach the lake. Immediately after arrival a helicopter drops off two out of shape, middle aged men carrying 48 cans of beer. Actually not bittersweet, it was humorous! And sad becuase they were hiking out, so where were they planning on discarding the empty cans...

Someone mentioned horseback--That would be a great option for coral lake. On our hike in there were quite a few small outfitter sheep/elk camps set up along the way. We were the only hikers on the trail, all other users were hunters on horseback. Around 5 km below the lake there is a big camp spot set up at the confluence of Job creek and Coral creek. Turn right to hike/ride into Job pass/job lake, left to Coral lake.

I am thinking you are reading past his intent somehow suggesting he is biased against handicapped persons.

Not at all. I think that he threw out a very poorly thought out statement. Also, the statement is very clear, and it is very exclusionary. I am new to this board, and I know nothing about WesG. As a result, I can't apply any foreknowledge to the interpretation of his post. I'm sure he's a great guy, he just delivered (what I think) is a crummy post (we'll all do it at some time or another).

Honestly, if I was 100% able-bodied I might not find the statement as offensive as I do. But, even if I was 100% able-bodied I would still have time restrictions (I have one day a week to fish . . . that's it), and as far as I'm concerned any Alberta tax payer with a fishing license has earned the right to fish these stocked lakes: regardless of how they get there or how much time they commit to the endevour.

Guest Sundancefisher
Not at all. I think that he threw out a very poorly thought out statement. Also, the statement is very clear, and it is very exclusionary. I am new to this board, and I know nothing about WesG. As a result, I can't apply any foreknowledge to the interpretation of his post. I'm sure he's a great guy, he just delivered (what I think) is a crummy post (we'll all do it at some time or another).

Honestly, if I was 100% able-bodied I might not find the statement as offensive as I do. But, even if I was 100% able-bodied I would still have time restrictions (I have one day a week to fish . . . that's it), and as far as I'm concerned any Alberta tax payer with a fishing license has earned the right to fish these stocked lakes: regardless of how they get there or how much time they commit to the endevour.

I think as a new person to the board...you may be reading insult way to quickly on this one. Chill and maybe be careful about jumping to conclusions...as like you mention above...you know noth about WesG.

Still this kind of weather brings out the cabin fever in all of us...

I think as a new person to the board...you may be reading insult way to quickly on this one. Chill and maybe be careful about jumping to conclusions...as like you mention above...you know noth about WesG.

Good grief, Sun. I'm not reading anything into it . . .

What is there to read into? I'm jumping to no conclusions. His statement is very black and white.

I see this as no reflection on him, but rather I see it as an under-developed thought that was probably typed in a rush. That is the only conclusion I am jumping to with regards to WesG or his statement, and it clearly gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Guest Sundancefisher

I just hope we warm up enough that the high mountain lakes melt...then we can all go fishing...any way we wish. I call dibs on shotgun in the copter!

The wife and I flew into Michelle about 5 years ago for our honeymoon. This was a one day fish and was guided but flown through Ice Field. I in no way feel that we cheapened the trip or lessened the experience by flying. Being a newlywed I needed to save my stamina for other things if you know what I mean. To each is own.

Nope! :P

P

NOPE !

If I have hiked in to one of the Golden Ponds and somebody touches down in a chopper and proceeds to fish in front of me or anywhere near me then they may well need the Chopper to get out again, this time a red and white one!

I do believe that there are some rules as to where the Heli pilots can land in the wilderness areas.

NOTE The first statement only apply s to someone who is rude enough not to come over and introduce themselves and offer their cold beer and or good Scotch and maybe a nice steak!!!!!!

That being said , I hear that due to the Earthquakes in the Rockies that most if not all high mountain lakes have broke open and drained, so now the head waters are silted and all the fish have washed down to the Bow, so you all may as well stay in town and fish the BOOOO W

You should just rephrase it something like 'Unless you have a valid contraindication to hiking, then in order to be able to fish for them you should have to hike in.' And valid as determined by me...

And I'd agree. Being lazy is just boring. And so un-Canadian. Take an adventure and do the hike, I'm sure it exponentially increases the satisfaction. <--poke--<

Have some of you not read between the lines and figured out that a few of the people that have posted may have physical limitations that do not allow them to make that hike at all?

Some are, yes, but not everyone is being lazy.