Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Repair

Anyone done some DIY repairs to their fiberglass?

Nothing major, just a few chunks out of the chines and some wear through the gel coat and into the fiberglass a bit where the trailer bunk hits.

I've heard of guys using bondo, not interested. Epoxy the best bet?

Not really interested in dragging it to the states and don't really think the damage is bad enough to warrant a professional job either. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's going to get banged up again. Just want to do some preventative maintenance.

Also, anyone have anything different than carpet on their trailer bunks?

Some good info online for fiberglass repair on boats (specifically canoes, but same, same)... I've done gel coat repairs on my canoe (fairly simple with either a 2 part epoxy or puddy - sold at MEC- MEC also sell fiberglass repair kits FYI). My reco would be to use the 2 part puddy - sets up much quicker, way easier to shape & sand!

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/1...99/fibergls.htm

I think Dune had the name of a guy (locally) that does gel coat repairs - he couldn't find it last time I inquired so I did my own (mine were not through the fiberglass though!)... I wonder if Alberta Marine (or another shop) does repairs... Anyway, I'm sure if you are somewhat handy and have a little patience you should be able to do it yourself (with the online instructions) I guess it depends on the size of the repair... If it's just gelcoat and is reasonable size, lemme know I can assist (I have enough epoxy to last a life time).

P

Anyone done some DIY repairs to their fiberglass?

Nothing major, just a few chunks out of the chines and some wear through the gel coat and into the fiberglass a bit where the trailer bunk hits.

I've heard of guys using bondo, not interested. Epoxy the best bet?

Not really interested in dragging it to the states and don't really think the damage is bad enough to warrant a professional job either. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's going to get banged up again. Just want to do some preventative maintenance.

Also, anyone have anything different than carpet on their trailer bunks?

hopdrop:

I touched up a few dings in the chines with 3M below water line fibreglass repair. Worked like a charm so long as u don't mind the blue tinge it hardens with. Never bothered to paint and gelcoat - as only visible on the trailer.

terry @ fishtales has the name of a guy he knows of that does repairs...i lost his name/number.

i have the same sitch - few dings in the chines and some scratching etc.

cosmetics aside...i have heard before that over normal wear & tear many boats don't perform quite as well if the bottom is too 'dull and scratchy' [sounds like some of my friends] with additional friction you just don't get up into that water cushion as quickly or easily, and because i row it most often when fishing with some of my dull & scratchy friends i'm considering having a fresh slick coat applied to the bottom of mine as well.