Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing League Schedule

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my league night with Avalanche. The evening started really good, but everything seemed to get lockjaw at about 7 PM. I landed 4 and Avalanche landed 1. I just happened to be in the right place in the few minutes it was firing. And a bit of home field advantage. Thanks Dale, I truly enjoyed it.

Water is going up. Vis is down some, but still plenty good. Two of my fish were on #18 PT. Runoff is coming, get out while you can!

Made it out with Jayvee this morning. Started out like it was going to be a great day! Weather was nice, tad cloudy, but little or no wind. Second, maybe third cast, I had hooked a nice brown. Sadly, he spit the hook about ten feet from me before I could get a hand on the leader or Jayvee to get a net under him. So I can assume it was a brown.

Jayvee ended up hooking into a nice 17-18" rainbow and was about all either of us got while I was there.

Final tally, Jayvee 1 FNG 0

The two that Jayvee landed before I arrived don't count :)

Guest JayVee

It was good to meet you Darrin. Just plain stinkin' bad luck you didn't land that nice Brown....so close. At least 20 I'd say, if mine was 17. Too bad we didn't have a little more time. Upstream was good. See you next time.

Neil

Made it out with Jayvee this morning. Started out like it was going to be a great day! Weather was nice, tad cloudy, but little or no wind. Second, maybe third cast, I had hooked a nice brown. Sadly, he spit the hook about ten feet from me before I could get a hand on the leader or Jayvee to get a net under him. So I can assume it was a brown.

Jayvee ended up hooking into a nice 17-18" rainbow and was about all either of us got while I was there.

Final tally, Jayvee 1 FNG 0

The two that Jayvee landed before I arrived don't count :)

Guest JayVee

Sorry Rick I missed this post. Looking forward to fishing again sometime soon. Reviewing some of the recent results here I was fortunate to eek out a tie! ;-)

N

Jayvee and I tied with two fish each. Great way to start, and we had (or at least I had) a blast. We fished from like 6 or so to 8:30. Great evening to be out, if a little windy.....

Hoping to catch up on my missed matches but we have all summer and the guys I contacted all understood my problems and I give a big thanks for their understanding.

Very happy to see that our little league is going good, and keep those reports coming in, as I am currently stuck at work watching paint dry and the clock go backwards.

Oh and to let everyone know I am gone on vacation from July 5th to 15th

just got back from fishing with Avalanche.

great meeting you, had a lot of fun

got some great pictures of mama and her ducklings. and one really annoyed beaver.

risers everywhere, each and everyone of them laughing at us

as a last ditch effor on the walk out Dale tossed his rig in a pool and hooked a beauty rainbow right in the butt.

1 butt hooked rainbow trumps my 20+ inch white fish.

Avalanche 1 - LS 0

Finally made it out for my match up with timj this morning. Went to a familiar run for both of us and had a good time despite the colder weather. Wind made for some fun casting and some colourful language from yours truly while untangling some pretty nasty wind knots.

Both of us got into some fish, however we were only able to get one each into the net. Tim had a nice brown for his and I managed a nice rainbow. I would guess both of them to be in the 16-18 inch range. Really nice colours on the brown and the bow. I'll get some pics of them both up later once I get them downloaded off the camera. Final Score Timj 1 FNG 1

We both managed to hook into some other fish, but the fish Gods were against us. Tim lost one on a streamer take and I had a big un take off on me and straighten my hook! Caddis pupa was the hook for us today. Both Tim and I caught ours on them.

Great morning and great to meet you Tim, I look forward to fishing with you again!

Made it out with BenBear last night. It was finally nice to be able to fish now that the splint is off and the finger is broken no more. It was a beautiful night for fishing. I hooked on to 6 in total but was only able to bring 2 to the net. Benbear wasn't as fortunate, not from lack of effort though, he hooked 1 but wasn't able to bring him in. I had a good time and look forward to meeting up with Benbear on the river in the future.

Webby 1 - Benbear - 0

Fish_2.htm

Fish_2_Underwater.htm

Fish_1.htm

Webby, thanks. Had a great evening. Learned about new water 15 minutes from home...and a couple of new flys I need to add to my box. I challanged Webby to guarantee there were fish in the final seam we fished. He was right, as iI hooked up to a fighter but lost him. Next time. Good times.

Keith and I made it out Wed eve.... Sure was a nice night, wish I could say the same about tha fishin'. Foutunatley.... the company was better than both. Great to meet ya Keith and shoot me a PM whenever you're in need of a fishin' buddy. This leauge thing just keeps gettin' better

Keith 1 / Me SKUNKED

• 2 weeks later...

effin new guy,troutlover and i got out last night.TL and FNG started out nymphing, well TL did anyway Darrin kept playing with the leaves on the trees behind him.I was tossing streamers and after 2 quick fish TL and FNG switched over as well.We had some action on the dry as well but it didn't last long.Great night boys had funl.Seeing 2 moose at dusk was pretty cool too.

Yes it was, very cool.

Thanks for the great evening! It was good to fish with you again Mike, it was too long since our last outing. Also great to meet troutlover. Nice to get two matches done in one shot. Next up, Avalance.

Maybe next time I'll catch more than just a cold....

Finally Tallys

Tungsten 7 - FNG - 0

troutlover 3? - FNG - 0

• 3 weeks later...

Made it out last night with Avalanche to catch up on some matches. Thankfully, I had a couple bye weeks so I could get caught up. Still behind though...lol

Avalanche took me to a spot that he visits quite regularly, but was particularly surprised about how different it is with the higher water. He thought it was like fishing a new stretch of water.

Due to the wind, and poor casting as a result (my story and I'm sticking to it) the fishing was slow to start off. To say the least. Avalanche did manage to land one little guy before I arrived (I was quick to remind him that it didn't count if I wasn't there! :D). Later in the evening, while I was struggling away in the wind, he hooked into a real nice looking fish. He was on it for a few minutes, and I bounded over to help him land it, with my net ready. Just as I reached him, the damn thing spit it in his face. We were both pissed. I believe he said that he hooked it on a small caddis pupa. Wouldn't surprise me as there were caddis EVERYWHERE. We also notice some really big yellow mayflies hatching all over the place too. Could the be yellow sally's? Anyway, I wasn't having much more luck than Avalanche was, and decided to call it a night. On my way back down the bank, I decided to cast my nymph rig again and go along the bank back to where the path leads back to the car. Well, as always, when you least expect it, you get that pull back. And wow, did it ever pull back! He came up out of the water with a mighty head shake once, he looked like real nice fish too, then, he broke off, but not before he lept again trying to get my hook out of his lip. It was odd, I couldn't feel him on the line anymore, but there he was leaping through the air like he was still on. It was kinda cool, even though he got away.

After that, when I was looking at my line to see if he spit or broke off, I was hearing all these "bloop"'s and splashes behind me, back where I was standing only minutes earlier. Avalanche told me that when he was out there, he saw a number of fish rising, right tight to the bank feeding on caddis a few nights earlier, and low and behold, there they were again. I quickly lined up my dry rod again (de-lined it as I was heading home) and tied on a nice big EHC. Several, and I mean SEVERAL, missed attempts later, and more than a fair share of tree snags, I fool one into taking my fly. I didn't even see it, or hear it, but man did I feel it! Again, more aerials, leaping and jumping everywhere. Right in front of me, the middle of the river, then down deep and runs fast. Leaps again about 50 yds down stream in front of Avalanche. "Is that yours?" He asked, yep. Pulling hard trying to keep him under control managed to get him wound in and close to the bank, thought I was going to land this one. He jumped again and bolted. Middle of the river and down stream. Reel was screaming! Into the backing he went, reel still screaming. I was adjusting the drag, palming it, everything I could to slow him down, but this dude wasn't letting up! Never had a fish into my backing before, and it was a rush. My arms were tired from heaving on the rod, it was nuts! I was following him down stream on the bank, in the river, anything I could do to get him to stop. I was starting to get worried that he was gong to get right to the spool if I didn't stop him soon. I tried to put some more side pressure on him, and that's when I felt it. "TOING" Crap. Thought for a second that maybe the line was on a branch or something and it just released, but nope. 90ft of line and about 50 ft of backing flowing downstream still puts a mighty bend in your rod. I would have loved to have landed that beast I tell you, he was a nice looking fish.

Ah, the one's that get away. They are the ones that keep you coming back.

End of the night, we were both scoreless.

Avalanche - 0

FNG - 0

Great meeting you Av, if you ever want to head out again, let me know.