Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Recommendations

hungryhun

Hi all,

The time has come where I am considering getting a pontoon boat for fishing the bow. I am looking for some recommendations/warnings some of you may have that own a pontoon. I am primarily going to be using this boat on the bow. I am 6'5" and around 215lbs, so I want something sturdy that I will be relatively safe in. I don't necessarily want to break the bank, but I also do not want to compromise my safety. From the research I have done, it seems I want around a 9' boat. Some adequate storage space would be nice, in case I decide to do an overnight camp. Ease of assembly is also pretty important, though not necessarily a deal breaker. TIA for all the help!

Mike

Hi all,

The time has come where I am considering getting a pontoon boat for fishing the bow. I am looking for some recommendations/warnings some of you may have that own a pontoon. I am primarily going to be using this boat on the bow. I am 6'5" and around 215lbs, so I want something sturdy that I will be relatively safe in. I don't necessarily want to break the bank, but I also do not want to compromise my safety. From the research I have done, it seems I want around a 9' boat. Some adequate storage space would be nice, in case I decide to do an overnight camp. Ease of assembly is also pretty important, though not necessarily a deal breaker. TIA for all the help!

Mike

Go TO Dave Skadden web site he makes the very best boat on the market place it is pricey you have to pay for quality richmia

I have been very happy with my FishCat, cougar model. 9' pontoons . This model has two separate pontoons on each side, so if one goes down...you don't you if know what I mean. This has proven to be a handy feature to say the least.

Other thing to consider is weight/rust.....mine has a aluminum frame as opposed to steel. This obviously makes it lighter and it will not rust. My wife however does have a steel frame, bit heavier, little bit of rust...but not a big deal.

You may see some boats that attach the pontoons with straps that go all the way around the pontoon. Fishcats use D-rings attached to the pontoon skin on the side which you use tie straps to secure to the frame. Better system in my opinion.

I believe most boats you find will assemble quite easy with metal pins

also consider the rear cargo deck...mesh hanger vs steel plate....obviously a still plate is going to hold you cooler better.

Last thoughts would be more for lake fishing, do you need motor mount for an electric, anchor pully system? Something to keep in mind.

Check back on the trading post as I think someone was selling a pontoon off.

Which ever brand you go with you won't be sorry. Great little boats for when you are going solo or with a group.

cheers

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

does any one know much about the "COLORADO XT PONTOON Classic Accessories" Good price for all the dodads! large boat so it could do the overnight and anchor ready.

any one done warranty with them?

MikePuhl,

I've had by aluminum frame break twice. Several friends have suffered the same problem all different companies. Mind you, we use 'em - a lot.

Go steel or better yet stainless. I got a replacement frame from Outcast that worked on my tubes. Solved the issue.

For a dandy!!

Bucks 9'er

The fly shop in Highriver carries them.

catch ya'

Don

Used to have the river guide by water skeeter, problem was at around 120 lbs, it was extemely hard to manuever with fins if you like to drift and fish. Traded it for a much cheaper Outcast Discovery weighing in around 65 lbs.... Huge difference, easy to manuever with force fins and only have to use the oars occasionally.

Hope this helps

Disclaimer: I spent a couple of years on Outcast Pro-staff.

Outcast Discovery 10 Standup. Incredibly stable on rivers, manueverable, one person can load and unload from a pickup box. Lots of rear deck for a spike camp and grub.

002_G.jpg

j

I can only speak from experience but my PAC 900 has been a very good boat and

I know a few other's with same boat but with 7-8 years on them and they are still

going strong. The 10 yr warranty, high quality bladders, leafield valves and made

in the USA make it well worth the money.

Fish on,

PAV

Hi all,

Mike

I have the 9' Outcast Fishcat. Its a great boat. In hind sight I think its too much for the bow. Easily could have went with the 8' version. My only issue with it is the wieght of the boat. It gets pretty heavy when you have to carry it, and usually need to do multiple trips for the oars, and other junk so you dont through your back out lifting it.

Since you're a big guy and interested in packing plenty of gear, pay close attention to weight capacity. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 500lb if I were you. Ideally, you should stay well below your boat's capacity.

The Scadden style boats, and boats like Watermaster have inherently higher weight capacities. I have a watermaster, and I would recommend it.

Highly recommended BBT. It is a serious fishing craft. Moves well in the water, tracks well, and it is stable enough to stand on in still water. I can throw it on my back and hike in, as well.

I have had some issues with glue failures, but my boat is more than 15 years old, and made in New Zealand by a previous company owner. The current owners offer a lifetime warranty on that stuff.

Not sure what sort of oars come with them now, but mine needed upgrading.

I've heard that BassPro carries them.