Fly Fusion Forums

Electrical Power For Travel Trailer

I have recently purchased a older travel trailer which I plan on "boondocking" for the summer near my favourite fishing area. First of all, let me say, I know NOTHING about these things and I'm asking you for advice. The area has no power.

I noticed that Canadian Tire has a sale on solar panels and if this is the way to go. I don't plan on needing the electricty for anything other than lights (non LED) on a rainy day.The other option is a small generator.

Please advise me on what system to use and what I will need and where to get it. I know I can count on you guys!!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...2B15%2BWatt.jsp

P.S. I will not be random camping/squatting!!!!

I have a trailer made in 78, it has lights and a pump, it went 8 days without needing a charge on a group 27 battery from costco (kirkland signature). With that said you could just bring the battery back and forth, and charge it when home. Also order your solar panel out of the states, WAY cheaper. My boss gets a sweet deal, like half of what the RV places charge. If you did solar power, it should charge your battery enough for a weekend, thoughout the week. Genny is the best way to go but get a quiet on cause one, and if i hear it at night, i will sabotage it.

MrBotangles,

If the trailer is earlier than the mid 80's, it may contain a space type of furnace that doesn't require electrical power. My old fishing trailer is set up like that. It's amazing the folks that come to visit when it's cold. Their forced air furnaces batteries are crapped out.

If it does have a forced air furnace, using two 6 volt batteries will really help or better yet, some folks are partial to golf cart batteries.. For early spring & late fall camping, solar panels don't put out enough juice. A small generator is your only option. A friend who runs a 50w panel + two 27 group batteries is good for about 4 days. Mind you, he keeps it warm in there. As I don't have forced air furnace, I run the interior lights for about 8>10 days camping in early April and late September.

regards,

Don

I used 2 of the Canadian Tire solar panels on the roof of my trailer to keep the battery charged during the day, worked well for 7 to 10 days trips. I also used a group 31 deep cell battery as my power source so as long as it was fully charged going in I could keep it fairly well topped during sunny days.

Colin

MrBotangles,

If the trailer is earlier than the mid 80's, it may contain a space type of furnace that doesn't require electrical power. My old fishing trailer is set up like that. It's amazing the folks that come to visit when it's cold. Their forced air furnaces batteries are crapped out.

If it does have a forced air furnace, using two 6 volt batteries will really help or better yet, some folks are partial to golf cart batteries.. For early spring & late fall camping, solar panels don't put out enough juice. A small generator is your only option. A friend who runs a 50w panel + two 27 group batteries is good for about 4 days. Mind you, he keeps it warm in there. As I don't have forced air furnace, I run the interior lights for about 8>10 days camping in early April and late September.

regards,

Don

I have a 1976 Vanguard so no blower. Your set up may be what I need. ...but then margarita's from a blender........decisions, decisions!!

2 group 31 battery's hooked together is what i use and i get 4 nights.Wife has the furnace on most nights and its a blower type.We also have a shower each.

But remember your not suppose to drain your battery's past 50% i think.

2 battery's and a small gen set is what you need.Theres no solar panel that can compare to a gen set for the price.

2 group 31 battery's hooked together is what i use and i get 4 nights.Wife has the furnace on most nights and its a blower type.We also have a shower each.

But remember your not suppose to drain your battery's past 50% i think.

2 battery's and a small gen set is what you need.Theres no solar panel that can compare to a gen set for the price.

Deep cycle batteries are designed to get drained completely without damaging the battery.

Last year I purchased a 30 watt solar panel from Crappy Tire (on sale, under $170.00) specifically to top up my single battery for my trailer. It's a newer model w/ many bells and whistles but all we really use are the lights at night and the furnace on occassion. In my experience, the solar panel works fine for topping up if we're only going for a weekend. Anything longer and I would either have to get a second battery or look for power.

Hope this helps.

A 50W solar panel is pretty small. You can get a couple of 220W panels for under a grand. that out puts, 36 amps with the proper electronics that would charge your battery significantly any day of the year.

Yes, but how much under a grand? When we're talking ~1980 travel trailers, often times we're talking trailers that are only worth about a grand. Like ours for example.. it's a 1980 Triple E 16 footer.. only paid $1000 for it. No way in heck I'm dropping another $900 on solar panels. That'd be way too painful! :)

Yes, but how much under a grand? When we're talking ~1980 travel trailers, often times we're talking trailers that are only worth about a grand. Like ours for example.. it's a 1980 Triple E 16 footer.. only paid $1000 for it. No way in heck I'm dropping another $900 on solar panels. That'd be way too painful! :)

I'm kinda in the same boat.

Big guy....you know the Honda generator we had when we had our trailer and I'd do it all over again. IMHO, that's what you want to do. Whisper quiet and can charge your batteries or just run your electrical. The generator will probably outlast your trailer - and you can take it with you wherever you go. It's worth the $1,300 new or I'll bet you can find a good used one.