Fly Fusion Forums

3wt

What length?

I ordered a 7'6" 3wt Redington Classic Trout 4 piece (stellar reviews if you google it and super light, as well) and for just shy of CDN$180 (lifetime warrantee/US$30 replacement). I cast the 8'6" 3 wt at the Expo and it was dreamy - test drove quite a few others and this one felt the best for me (medium action/mid flex)...

P

I'm sure others wil have su

Hello, dont have a lot of $ to spend, and am new to flyfishing,any suggestions on a 3wt and reel for not a lot of $,

Thanks

Amundson has a nice 3wt rod and the price is right. http://amundson.ca/flyfishing/Midge/midge.html

That looks pretty sweet, Chris; kinda cool idea, just switch tips to make it a 4wt.

You could also check with CDone here on the forum. I see he's got a very cool custom-built 2wt for sale ($75) in the Trading Post section.

I'd consider that if I was looking for a small creek rig. I own a 2wt & a 3wt, & find they're kinda redundant; I usually opt for the 2wt.

the TFO 7'6" 3wt in either a 2pc or a 4pc would be worth checking out.

I also have te 7'6" 3wt 4pc and it's absolutely AMAZING, I highly recomend it, run you about 180 bucks, not including tube. But you also get a no questions asked lifetime guarantee with it, which means if your dog chews on it or you sit on it, it's free replacement.

My 3 weight is a 7'6" Scott A2. They've been discontinued and replaced with the A3 since... however I absolutely love it. I casted it side by side with the TFO Finesse, TFO Signature, and GLoomis Xperience - and FOR ME, there was no question. It felt WAY better than the other 3.

I highly recommend that you go in to one of the local shops like Fish Tales, tell them what you're looking for and your budget, and then go out on the grass and cast them all. You'll know the rod right away when you feel it.

also, I don't know how hell bent you are on a 3wt, if you plan on using it for the little mountain streams then might I suggest

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...c=11504&hl=

there is a 6'6" 2wt on there and they are awesome for little streams and at $75 it's a steal, leaving you more money to spend on a nice little 2/3wt reel.

My 3 weight is a 7'6" Scott A2. They've been discontinued and replaced with the A3 since... however I absolutely love it. I casted it side by side with the TFO Finesse, TFO Signature, and GLoomis Xperience - and FOR ME, there was no question. It felt WAY better than the other 3.

I highly recommend that you go in to one of the local shops like Fish Tales, tell them what you're looking for and your budget, and then go out on the grass and cast them all. You'll know the rod right away when you feel it.

x2

Go to FishTales, try out a bunch of rods in your budget...and see what you like best.

"But you also get a no questions asked lifetime guarantee with it, which means if your dog chews on it or you sit on it, it's free replacement."

The TF warranty is actually $30 a section, even if you take it there yourself and avoid the shipping.

Not free replacement with TFO it's $35 + GST (per section), plus shipping if you are out of town...

*Edit* sorry Tim, you beat me to it!!

I also have te 7'6" 3wt 4pc and it's absolutely AMAZING, I highly recomend it, run you about 180 bucks, not including tube. But you also get a no questions asked lifetime guarantee with it, which means if your dog chews on it or you sit on it, it's free replacement.

30 bucks and postage is a good deal if you're prone exploding sections. TFO is the only rod I ever blew up by overlining from recommended and then trying to cast into the backing...twice.

I also have a 4 piece 3wt TFO - I went with the longer 8'6" which allows me a little more "hidin behind the bush" reach for high stickin dries while still able to cast the width of the Bow river pretty well anywhere above Banff. Very happy with the rod - should mention that in my experience I have found beginners find it a little harder to cast than a 5 wt or higher though.

If I were you I would also consider the 5 wt sage launch on the for sale board too - I just picked one up this winter and it is a great casting rod which would give you much more versatility

I have a 3wt 9ft Sage Launch and I really enjoy casting it. I understand that the Launch line is being discontinued so if you can find one around town you can probably pick it up for a nice price (~$150, possibly less). Shop around!

I have also seen some TFO packages for cheeeeeaaaaaap lately. It is a great starter rod. My first rod was a TFO five wt. I treated it like crap, broke a few tips, replaced them, and was back on the river the next day. For me this makes the TFO and obvious pick for newbie anglers. Phone around, one of the big fly fishing stores is bound to have a package on sale.

P.S. I have never been a fan of the low end TFO reels and you may want to immediately upgrade the line. (My two cents)