Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Stone Pattern

Xplorer

Hi guys,

I keep hearing about a winter stonefly pattern for the bow but haven't really nailed down what it should look like. Is it the same as a small brown stonefly pattern?

Any pattern info or pictures would be great.

Thanks everyone

Lance

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

dont forget about the green sally on a 12 or 14. if you search the entomology section you can see pics of the bugs and about what time of year you'll see them

Thanks for the info guys.

I was thinking that there was a specific pattern named "winter stonefly". I don't have any black copper johns, will have to tie/buy some. I have a few a.p. nymphs. Will sizes 16-18 be about right?

Lance

Does anyone know details about the life cycle for black winter stones? For example, do the nymphs climb out of the water prior to emerging? What time of day does this happen? Where do the adults mate and how does the ovipositing happen? I've not seen fish taking adults -- am I missing something? Terry

I have to add that I have taken fish on the nymph of these, but try as I might I have never caught anything on the adult. Mind you I have ony tried on the Bow and Crow, rumour has it that on the Red Deer and Stauffer the fish will take the adults.

RDR dry fly is epic! those fish dont see the pressure that bow fish get.

I will agree with a portion of that BUT the RDR browns are way more finiky than those of the bow and on the Red Deer River it is the Skwala hatch that the Browns are looking for and not the winter stone unless you are talking about the Little RDR...lol

Guys,

Was lurking around Stauffer Creek today and took a picture of a Early Black Stone

Body length barely 3/8" long. Overall length maybe 1/2" long. Sorry for the mangled appearance of the bug. Picking one of these up isn't easy.

To imitate one of these nymphs might just be impossible.

catch ya'

Don

post-206-1268019020.jpg