Fly Fusion Forums

Custom Flyrods On Ebay

wayne

Has anyone bought a new custom made flyrod on ebay?

There are a few guys selling high end rods for what seems to be a good deal compared to the price of the factory equivelant rod. I have found 3 sellers in particular that I am concidering ordering from. any thought on going this way? pro's or con's

I know warranty work will take longer but all three sellers will re wrap free of charge as there part of the warranty

Thanks Wayne

A friend of mine as put together a few rods for me on both Sage and Scott blanks. The advantage of the custom rod is you can get better components such as guides and reel seat for the same price you'd pay for a ready built. But one disadvantage I could see with buying off of Ebay is that if you break something on your custom then you'd have to find someone to fix it for you because you can't send it to the manufacturer as they will only repair the blank.

But one disadvantage I could see with buying off of Ebay is that if you break something on your custom then you'd have to find someone to fix it for you because you can't send it to the manufacturer as they will only repair the blank.

Most of the rod builders on ebay will warranty there work and re wrap for free if you have the new blank shipped to them

You can get some great, custom rods, for a good price. Go with the idea that there is no warranty though. There are so many variables that it's better just to assume ahead of time that you're on your own if you break it.

Still can be a good idea to purchase one, just assume it has no warranty.

The way I look at it, the whole idea behind getting a "custom" rod built is to get it built to YOUR specs (whether components, flex, grip, colour, etc.), getting a custom rod built based on someone else's specs, defeats the whole purpose IMHO...

Just my $0.02.

P

I got one off one of the guys last year and am really happy. The components are decent and I was able to pick blank colour, thread colour to match my primary line, component color to match the reel as well as getting my name added to the blank. He also added markers on the blank I could use to measure the fish. IMO, if I could build my own, this is what I would have done, but I don't have the time or ambition to do so.

I don't think builders who sell on ebay are any different from guys that build everywhere. I've ordered custom rods several times to help me catch up with demands. But "Blooms" advice is spot on, for all intents and purposes custom rods do not have a warranty. Replacing a broken piece for a rod takes time, and that time is deducted from your use of it. Never mind the potential costs involved in shipping, rebuild, etc. Get one built to suit yourself, but treat it with respect and care, not like "just another rod with a lifetime warranty".

j

I got one off one of the guys last year and am really happy. The components are decent and I was able to pick blank colour, thread colour to match my primary line, component color to match the reel as well as getting my name added to the blank. He also added markers on the blank I could use to measure the fish. IMO, if I could build my own, this is what I would have done, but I don't have the time or ambition to do so.

Thanks but I am looking for someone to build a z-axis

Wayne

wayne

do your homework and you'll be way more then happy , allot of good builders today , i never buy a new rod when you can get the same rod custom built for sometimes even less then a new one in a store , your rod will be better with the little extra's that you add on , and the sage z axis is a good common rod that allot of builders useing sage's blanks

if you need some place to start , i know allot of custom builders , email me and i'll send you some guys that will give you 100% warranty and the workmanship will blow your mind , nothing come close to what a custom rod is compared to the rods you see on the racks in the fly shops , you pick and spend the amount you want ,

you buy a new rod off the store rack , walk out the door and use the rod , they go down in value fast , a custom rod built for you should hold it's value more and you'll be so happy with it in the long run , i'v had allot of custom rods built for people , you might want to think of stepping up and get a custom bamboo rod built , they only ever go up in value if you buy the right builders rod and you'll never go back to fishing with plastic sticks after you try em

Can you not find a local builder if you want a custom built rod?

Is it that much cheaper? Are the components the same? The components can be as much to do with the overall price of the rod as the blank. Add to that how do you know the quality? 100% warranty is only good while they are still in business, what guarantee do you have? Add the currency exchange and Pay Pal costs, add the brokerage fees and shipping. I won't take the risk.

I like the support that the local shops provide to Clubs, Trout Unlimited, Streamwatch, Casting for Life and Project Healing Waters just to name a few.

I suggest SHOP AT HOME :derby racer:

We all expect alot from our local shops and every time that we go some where else to save a couple of bucks it weakens our local shops.

I don't know what industry you work in but for an example If you where an Insurance Agent would you care if we all bought our insurance on the net? Please Look At THE BIG PICTURE.

ps: I don't own or work for a shop.

Can you not find a local builder if you want a custom built rod?

Is it that much cheaper? Are the components the same? The components can be as much to do with the overall price of the rod as the blank. Add to that how do you know the quality? 100% warranty is only good while they are still in business, what guarantee do you have? Add the currency exchange and Pay Pal costs, add the brokerage fees and shipping. I won't take the risk.

I like the support that the local shops provide to Clubs, Trout Unlimited, Streamwatch, Casting for Life and Project Healing Waters just to name a few.

I suggest SHOP AT HOME :derby racer:

We all expect alot from our local shops and every time that we go some where else to save a couple of bucks it weakens our local shops.

I don't know what industry you work in but for an example If you where an Insurance Agent would you care if we all bought our insurance on the net? Please Look At THE BIG PICTURE.

ps: I don't own or work for a shop.

I dont know of any local builders If you have any suggestions please let me know. I would rather shop local as long as the price is within reason. as for price there is between a $200-$300 saving for a z-axis

Just bought a Sage RPL+ 590 custom build off Ebay. Nice components, including a maple burl handle. Not sure if I'll end up liking it over cork.

But yeah, my impression is, especially with something like an RPL+ - i.e. discontinued - , I have absolutely no warranty. So it is a bit of a wing and a prayer in terms of (1) The builder knows what he's doing and (2) your own responsibility in taking care of the rod.

Smitty

Ebay sounds like a bad idea to me. There are a lot of guys out there throwing together rods and calling them custom (I guess they still are, but no better done then a factory rod).

I'm sure there are some good builders on Ebay, but I would bet most are sub-par. Long standing, reputable builders (the kind you can call up 5-10 years from now about a broken guide and get an answer) do not need the extra work that a site like Ebay would provide.

Take Dutchie up on his offer and use a reputable builder. You will get a rod that is far superior to a factory rod, with your own personal touches, for about than the cost of a factory rod. This is the point of getting a custom rod, right?

If you are just looking to save some money on a Brand name rod, and your not too fussed about the cosmetics, build it yourself. You can get a Brand name blank and similar components for a good chunk less than you can get the factory rod. Whipping a rod is not hard; you can get it done in just a handful of evenings and with nothing more than a bobbin and a cardboard box and a couple borrowed tools (like a grip reamer).

For whatever it's worth. People who assemble rod components get paid very poorly. Below is a work-up of most of the components not including shop materials, wrapping station et al from a component supplier on the west coast.

Sage 9'0" 6 wt. Model 690 Z Axis = $417.60

American Tackle cork handle c/w wood trim = $ 38.00

Reel Seat of Nickel Silver = $52.00

Pac Bay Nickel reel seat = $47.00

Struble reel seat = $62.00

Pac Bay guide set $12.00

Snake Brand Guide set $ 18.20

Finishes and Glue $20.00

Rod Bag = $14.00

Alunimun Tube = $35.00

Give or take about $600 without shipping or labor.

Unless these guys get a real deal on parts, anything less than $ 800.00 is a steal. Takes about 4>5 hours to assemble the components. That doesn't include the assembler ordering/stocking/client contact/work area et al.

Be aware though, snake guides are worth what you pay for them. Pac Bay's are $.51 each whereas Snake Brand and H&H are $1.35>1.50 each.

catch ya'

Don

wayne

don is correct on the cost of the good stuff , yet it is well worth it

not allot of money is made on a custom built rod , most guys do it as they love it , and if i was you i'd try to spend as much as you could to get the very best components , don't try to save like $3.00 when it comes to picking a stripping guide or snakes over the cheeper brands , your rod is going to be a custom build , so pimp it out some , it's your ride and money

lots of good choices , i already sent you a couple really classy builders by email , and if you need advice on whats good components , just ask , allot of guys on here like the good stuff when it comes to there rods ,

bottom line is this is a special rod for you for a long time of use , might as well have a classy looking one that everyone will see and wish was in there hands for casting

if you are looking for custom rods at great price check out pieroway rod comp. jeff makes stunning custom rods for low prices. check out his website www.pierowayrods.com. also email ( pierowayrods@gmail.com ) to get some pics of his work. may have seen him at the expo. also he is located in calgary.

Kyle

I bought my spey rod off a new builder on ebay (Seattle area) 3 years ago - very happy with what I got as I paid about 25% what I would have paid in a store for similar rod with the same blanks etc etc - Rod has cool custom details such as a holographic steelie on the side, hand signed, the usual stuff you would expect - I was lucky to find a fella that was trying to make a name for himself so he was selling his first professional offerings with no reserve - his higher weights sold for more typical prices but the 5/6/7 wasn't getting attention so I won the auction with a very low bid.

I have been using it for three years now without a problem so warrantee just isn't a concern considering what I saved on the price - the seller was also very helpful with tips on how to get the best performance such as ranking his reccomendations on which lines worked best with the rod.

I think with anything on ebay, if your willing to be patient and wait for the right deal you can end up very happy.

BTW - Don't think I don't support my local fishing shops - I do - at the time I bought it I needed it for a course and the locals just didn't have what I wanted in stock