Fly Fusion Forums

Feb. Photo Of The Month

This is the entry thread for this month's POTM. This month's theme is Still Life; this should bring in some creative entries. You can use any combo of flyfishing/flytying items to create your image. A 25 word minimum write up is required for each entry. One entry per post only please. Winner to receive a one yr subscription to Fly Fusion magazine, the contest sponsor.

Due date Feb. 28

Good luck to all and looking forward to seeing your creativity.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see if I can win this bad boy by default.

"Gear"

I spent a lot of time this summer and fall hunting cool running mountain streams for Cutthroat and I found myself absolutely reliant on two special things whenever I went out. The first being my 3 weight Scott that casts like a dream and fought my personal best Cutthroat to date, and the second being my German Trenker Hat. Nothing makes one feel more at home in the mountains than a slick looking mountaineering hat. I stared into the eyes of paradise many a time, always with this gear by my side.

DSCF2656.jpg

Obviously with only one entry, could we get a little more clarity on exactly what this subject matter is for this month? Still life? Is this flowers, wildlife shots, weird ice formations, ????? Does the subject have to be "live" thereby rendering the pic of rod / hat above inneffective? just some questions... sorry I just have no idea what to post for a pic :)

Obviously with only one entry, could we get a little more clarity on exactly what this subject matter is for this month? Still life? Is this flowers, wildlife shots, weird ice formations, ????? Does the subject have to be "live" thereby rendering the pic of rod / hat above inneffective? just some questions... sorry I just have no idea what to post for a pic :)

Still life as it relates to the forum, I assumed that was a given. Sorry about that

One of those days on a new piece of water, wet and grey. Walked from about 9 30 in the morning till about 6 in the evening... Some of the best days i can recall on the river don't necessarily include fish but rather those cool fall days full o' color

1zqbu9w.jpg

A still life (plural still lifes[1]) is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which may be either natural (food, flowers, plants, rocks, or shells) or man-made (drinking glasses, books, vases, jewelry, coins, pipes, and so on) in an artificial setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_life

Here is my entry for the month..

What does Winter fly fishing mean to me, well nymphing of course, and of course, what does Fly fishing mean to me! Well as the picture shows Healing waters, which has become a project and a successful endeavor here in Canada and the end of my quite retirement, it's OK retirement is overrated any way..

IMGP0012-1.jpg

A still life (plural still lifes[1]) is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which may be either natural (food, flowers, plants, rocks, or shells) or man-made (drinking glasses, books, vases, jewelry, coins, pipes, and so on) in an artificial setting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_life

This definition is correct, those that submitted the landscape shots, sorry but those are not still lifes. A good example of still life shot is Silver Doctors pic post in the current fly swap section

Anticipation

It's what motivates me to craft my own rods after pouring through catalogues of bits and pieces. Selecting what needs to come together to make that perfect tool for this perfect sport.

Anticipation

It dictates, through the visions in my head, what fly is needed for the conditions of the day. It tells me to put on a dropper, just in case.

Anticipation

It screams at me “This is going to be Great!”.

Anticipation

It keeps me sane.

FlyStill.jpg

this is a picture of a brown from wildhorse lake, which is located in a relentless wind funnel. its very rare for wildhorse lake to be as calm as it was when this photo was taken, especially in april. thats why the stillness of the evening was very eerie, it almost felt like it had to be the calm before the storm, as if we were in the eye of the hurricane.

636_1-2.jpg

My entry,

I had been looking for a reel for my switch rod for awhile and Christmas was around the corner. I must have mentioned something in passing while talking with my Dad about fishing. Christmas came and I got down to my last present, a small box, but felt way to light to be a reel. Sure enough I opened it and this beauty of a reel was in there!! Best Christmas present ever! :)

reelshot.JPG

heres my entry. While touring around Nova Scotia last summer, i could not help but stop at a fly shop in Halifax. I picked up these pretty flies. expensive but pretty. Never got to try them out on the river, but they seem quiet photogenic.

Art Combined

post-2100-1267327741.jpg