Fly Fusion Forums

Another Example Of Eco Terrorism

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...s-minister.aspx

She should lose her right to travel. Intentionally crossing an international border to attack someone is pretty bad.

Plus if it was me and there was milk products in that pie...I would of potential has stomach cramps without my lactaid.

Someone should wack her with a seal skin! 100 lashes!

I simply couldn't say it better than this........

Jan 25 2010 4:33

"PETA is so spent. I am hugely into animal rights and I can't stand them, their dishonesty, their disrespect and arrogance.

This woman from New York City publicly attacked a Canadian woman, in Canada, in order to try to change politics in Canada. She timed it to ganer media to send a message of intimidation and anger to Canadians. She crossed the border with the 'purpose of her visit' in reality being: assaulting a Canadian elected politician. All this adds very nasty elements to her crime of assault.

Throw the book at her and try to tie PETA to it, and sue them as well. Enough is enough."

Guest Sundancefisher
Sundancefisher,

Eco Terrorist - you're kidding right?

Beyond a free meal and a clean up bill what was hurt?

Don

LOL ...ya I was kidding...did you not see my reference of missing eating a good quality cream pie...

sigh...dam that runny egg mcmuffin!

Guest Sundancefisher
I think Whacked with a Sockeye might have been more fitting.

Regards Mike

It is a shame that the government can never find a politician with common sense University science education to run DFO or Alberta Environment.

Guest Sundancefisher
This morning, saw on the news she is being charged with assault. ( as she should, no matter my personal thoughs on the minister in question)

A TOFU CREAM PIE????

Not Chocolate cream...not banana cream...????

The fact it was tofu is an affront to every pie manufacturer in the world!

Soya beans are a leading cause of deforestation in South America and a significant source of CO2. That product has a large carbon foot print. Chicken is better by example than tofu...

"Not all meat is created equally when it comes to environmental impacts. Producing a calorie of chicken protein requires only a fraction of the energy that it takes to churn out a calorie of beef protein. Chickens also produce significantly lower levels of greenhouse gases, thanks in part to their dainty diet and the fact that, unlike ruminant animals, they don't go around expelling methane from their mouths and rear ends." http://www.slate.com/id/2232916/

Soybean fever transforms Paraguay

By Jane Monahan

Asuncion, Paraguay

Large investments have been made in soybean processing

A soybean boom has ignited in South America. It is fuelled largely by China's burgeoning demand for soy imports and projections that these will continue to surge, along with China's economic growth, for years to come.

So far, the countries caught up in the fever are Argentina and Brazil, South America's two largest nations, and Uruguay and Paraguay, two of the smallest.

All four have increased soybean acreage at a prodigious rate.

Between 1990 and 2004, Argentina and Brazil increased the land under soybean cultivation by more than 236%, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Overtaking America

In contrast, the position of the US has declined.

In 1982 US farmers produced 80% of the world's soybeans.

Today they produce just 35%.

US production, on about 72 million acres, is dwarfed by Argentina and Brazil's 91 million acres.

Meanwhile the boom is changing lifestyles, ecosystems and economies.

Paraguay transformed

What is happening in Paraguay is a dramatic example.

Sleepy towns in Paraguay are being transformed

Despite symbols of modernity like the Itaipu hydroelectric dam on its eastern border, Paraguay is still largely an isolated, sleepy and pastoral place, where cattle graze beside the roads, carts piled with wood are ox-driven, and the central streets of Asuncion, the capital, are stunningly empty at siesta-time.

But according to Cesar Barreto - director of Development and Democracy, an independent economic think-tank in Asuncion - the change has been dramatic.

"Such is the momentum of the soybean fever that just since 1997 the acreage, (which is all in the eastern part of the country) has grown 5 times," he says.

"Soy now represents 10% of Paraguay's GNP and it accounts for more than 50% of the country's exports."

Carlos Pegoraro, manager of a group of 8 soybean cooperatives located near Paraguay's border with Brazil called Unicoop, believes two phenomena are chiefly responsible for the boom.

The first is the arrival of multinational agribusiness firms, especially the US grains conglomerate, Cargill.

It distributes seeds to farmers, owns the country's largest soybean processing plant, buys 20% of the country's soybean production and is the leading exporter.

Brazilian pioneers

Secondly, Mr Pegoraro says, pioneering farmers from across the border - "gauchos" from Brazil's original soy-growing state, Rio Grande do Sul - are pushing the soybean trade forward.

They have pushed further and further inland, clearing land and extending production not only to other Brazilian states such as Santa Catarina, Parana and Mato Grosso but into eastern Paraguay as well.

"Countrywide, about 40% of the current 600,000 soybean producers in Paraguay are Brazilian; 36% are of German and Japanese descent, or are Mennonite farmers; and 24% are Paraguayans," he says.

Small wonder the boom's effects are far-reaching.

For instance, in previously cultivated areas in Eastern Paraguay, big soybean farms that are highly mechanised have replaced small cotton-producing farms, which employ large numbers of labourers.

Displacement

Small farmers, who constitute many of Paraguay's 6.2 million population and who depend on subsistence farming, have been displaced by the production of soybeans.

Vast tracts of rain forest have been turned over to cultivation

Democracy and Development's Cesar Baretto says the situation is serious.

"It is not possible for these small farmers to use land in other parts of the country (for instance in the semi-arid Chaco area, west of Asuncion) to grow essential produce," he says.

Environmental damage

Other consequences are environmental.

On the plus side, soybean farmers in Brazil and Paraguay differ from traditional farmers in their use of modern technology. They plant the seeds directly into the ground without ploughing the field and also rotate crops around their land.

Such methods reduce erosion.

But on the other hand, the rapid increase in soybean cultivation had led to the destruction of the rainforest.

"There is great concern about the loss of the Amazon rainforest and the deforestation that has been done to clear the land for soybean production in parts of Brazil and Paraguay, because of its possible effects on climate change," says Chris Hurt, an agricultural economist at Purdue University in the US state of Indiana.

The Amazon is the world's biggest source of fresh water, carbon absorption and bio-diversity.

The Brazilian government, in its most recent evaluation of the pace of the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, also sounded alarm bells.

It said in the 12 months to August 2004, the pace of destruction was at a 10-year high, and it attributed the destruction in the state of Mato Grosso - where nearly half of it occurred - to Brazil's economic recovery in general and its soybean export boom in particular.

And economic pressures for further development of soybean production are expected to intensify.

The US share of world markets is likely to decline further, because farmers in the US have virtually no more acreage left for planting, pushing the pace faster in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4603729.stm

Sundance,

I am confused, you are willing to let a person convicted of trying to have someone hired to kill someone else be forgiven and return to a normal life, but yet you slam someone else for attacking someone. Will you now forgive this person and allow them to go back to their job and live a normal life?

This is a great example how a normal joe blow (well as normal as a animal activist can get) gets looked at for doing something wrong and how a professional althelte is viewed diffrent.

How come we veiw these things so diffrent?

Guest Sundancefisher
Sundance,

I am confused, you are willing to let a person convicted of trying to have someone hired to kill someone else be forgiven and return to a normal life, but yet you slam someone else for attacking someone. Will you now forgive this person and allow them to go back to their job and live a normal life?

This is a great example how a normal joe blow (well as normal as a animal activist can get) gets looked at for doing something wrong and how a professional althelte is viewed diffrent.

How come we veiw these things so diffrent?

I am not sure you are reading the post correctly. The hockey player was found guilty...went to jail and now is out looking to be a benefit to society rather than be a negative burden on society. The pie woman...has not been found guilty...if she does and goes to jail...when she gets out...as she is not a citizen she can be deported. If the law states a non Canadian citizen can not return to Canada...then that is the law and the consequences. Once back in the US...she can go about her life to be a good US citizen. There is nothing in the legal system that says punishment will be ongoing for ever and ever for the hockey player. If it did then so be it...that is the consequences.

...anyways...once she serves her full jail time...then we forgive her... :goodvsevil():

While my gut say fry all criminals...my social conscience says we to look at the risk of reoffending versus social ostracism which in itself would most likely just breed more antisocial behavior.

If you want an even more controversial subject...there is a very interesting study that tracked crime and the effects of legalized abortion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impact_of...ortion_on_Crime this is the simplest link to read.

The gist is...put people in a bad environment and you have a much greater chance of raising criminals. Therefore if the purpose of a justice system is to punish...without the rehabilitation you just breed more criminal behavior...assuming the individual can rise to the occasion.

Therefore the point some make regarding the hockey player is will getting a university education hurt or harm society as a whole. Does it set a good example of rehabilitation or a poor one. Will this encourage antisocial behavior or discourage it.

When looking at the context of this individual...I have expressed my view points.

As for a pedophile or rapist or first degree murderer...I find those horrendous crimes very, very hard to forgive. If I was a victim...it is difficult.

I have worked on fisheries projects and have had 8 convicted convicts helping me as a chain gang. There were drunks, DOI's, B&E's, and a loan poacher in that group. Can any of them become a benefit to society? I was not so sure or could say anyways with certainty...but if you help 1 out of 8 not reoffend or break the law you have saved millions to the tax payers just in finacial benefits. Then keeping hundreds from having their homes broken into helps make society a better place to live.

IMHO...

In a nutshell bhurt...do you disagree and if so what is you basis for disagreement and what would you do in place of the current system? What do you think the hockey player should do for the rest of his life that will benefit anyone?

A Liberal MP ,Gerry Byrne,is trying to portray this act and PETA as terrorism . While that may seem farfetched to some it would mean,if proven lin court,that PETA would be an illegal organization in Canada and would not be allowed to fund raise in this country . I say bring it on if this is where we end up with this bunch of nutcases .........Frank

I am not sure you are reading the post correctly. The hockey player was found guilty...went to jail and now is out looking to be a benefit to society rather than be a negative burden on society. The pie woman...has not been found guilty...if she does and goes to jail...when she gets out...as she is not a citizen she can be deported. If the law states a non Canadian citizen can not return to Canada...then that is the law and the consequences. Once back in the US...she can go about her life to be a good US citizen. There is nothing in the legal system that says punishment will be ongoing for ever and ever for the hockey player. If it did then so be it...that is the consequences.

...anyways...once she serves her full jail time...then we forgive her... :goodvsevil():

While my gut say fry all criminals...my social conscience says we to look at the risk of reoffending versus social ostracism which in itself would most likely just breed more antisocial behavior.

If you want an even more controversial subject...there is a very interesting study that tracked crime and the effects of legalized abortion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impact_of...ortion_on_Crime this is the simplest link to read.

The gist is...put people in a bad environment and you have a much greater chance of raising criminals. Therefore if the purpose of a justice system is to punish...without the rehabilitation you just breed more criminal behavior...assuming the individual can rise to the occasion.

Therefore the point some make regarding the hockey player is will getting a university education hurt or harm society as a whole. Does it set a good example of rehabilitation or a poor one. Will this encourage antisocial behavior or discourage it.

When looking at the context of this individual...I have expressed my view points.

As for a pedophile or rapist or first degree murderer...I find those horrendous crimes very, very hard to forgive. If I was a victim...it is difficult.

I have worked on fisheries projects and have had 8 convicted convicts helping me as a chain gang. There were drunks, DOI's, B&E's, and a loan poacher in that group. Can any of them become a benefit to society? I was not so sure or could say anyways with certainty...but if you help 1 out of 8 not reoffend or break the law you have saved millions to the tax payers just in finacial benefits. Then keeping hundreds from having their homes broken into helps make society a better place to live.

IMHO...

In a nutshell bhurt...do you disagree and if so what is you basis for disagreement and what would you do in place of the current system? What do you think the hockey player should do for the rest of his life that will benefit anyone?

IMHO...

Sun,

To answer your question about what a hockey player can do to help others other then play hockey is simple he can work for any NHL team to help new young hockey players deal with emitional stress of dealing with stuff such as bad agents.

He can also work for minor hockey teams and work with players that have a shot in the NHL and give them tools to help them in case they are faced with situations like he went through. He has first hand experince in these things and can be a great benifet to the Hockey world without having to play.

I am more then willing to forgive people but they have to face the music espically with anything that has to do with murder.

Now to do with this particular thread, I think a pie in the face is a minor thing, still it is assuslat and should be treated like a assusalt, and if the person gets deported then fine. I see no diffrence in what this person did and what danton did, what caused me some shock is that you said they should be whipped, the person is not even found guilty yet but you are willing to pass judgement on the person.

Guest Sundancefisher
Sun,

To answer your question about what a hockey player can do to help others other then play hockey is simple he can work for any NHL team to help new young hockey players deal with emitional stress of dealing with stuff such as bad agents.

He can also work for minor hockey teams and work with players that have a shot in the NHL and give them tools to help them in case they are faced with situations like he went through. He has first hand experince in these things and can be a great benifet to the Hockey world without having to play.

I am more then willing to forgive people but they have to face the music espically with anything that has to do with murder.

Now to do with this particular thread, I think a pie in the face is a minor thing, still it is assuslat and should be treated like a assusalt, and if the person gets deported then fine. I see no diffrence in what this person did and what danton did, what caused me some shock is that you said they should be whipped, the person is not even found guilty yet but you are willing to pass judgement on the person.

bhurt...I am confused...are we agreeing or disagreeing?

I stated I thought he SHOULD be allowed to play. I also agree he should have to face the music which he did and is out of jail.

Am I missing your point here?

I think more than anything, pieing a politician is symbolic as we all know. The act of hitting someone in the face with pie isn't an assault on the person as much as it is an assault on their emotions for being "pied".

Unfortunatly I would regard this as a case of assault because if you're going to pie someone, you need a hell of alot of people behind you saying "YAH GOOD JOB" but when you pie someone because you and 3 or 4 other people don't like someones point of view, you're just being ignorant. I wonder how the americans would feel if we pied their leaders for allowing people to shoot off fireworks? The facts are that the seal hunt is has a multitude of benefits and in no way jeaporizes the sustainable populations of seals. Seals have been hunted for hundreds of years and although some people may not like the fact that they are bludgeoned to death and see this as "inhumane". This seems quite a random thing to be pissed off about and given the multitude of other inhumane acts going on in the world, I wish this stupid bitch would keep her nose out of our countries buisness.

I am angered by how ignorant and self centered the americans are, to think that they have a legitimate reason to come and terrorise our politicians, as if they have absolutely nothing inhumane happening on their own soil. I'm inclined to agree that this was a form of terrorism based on just that argument alone. If this was a canadian tossing the pie, yah give them a slap on the wrist, but because it's an american who has ABSOLUTELY no right to cross our border and assault our politicians, toss her in jail and keep her there for as long as possible. And I would think canada should blacklabel her and her ENTIRE family as terrorists and not allow them in the country.

I am angered by how ignorant and self centered the americans are, to think that they have a legitimate reason to come and terrorise our politicians, as if they have absolutely nothing inhumane happening on their own soil. I'm inclined to agree that this was a form of terrorism based on just that argument alone. If this was a canadian tossing the pie, yah give them a slap on the wrist, but because it's an american who has ABSOLUTELY no right to cross our border and assault our politicians, toss her in jail and keep her there for as long as possible. And I would think canada should blacklabel her and her ENTIRE family as terrorists and not allow them in the country.

blaming a whole country for one persons stupidity is the stupidest thing i have ever read on this site (that is saying a lot ). wait sorry including the individuals family in this persons actions. jesus i knew there was reason to stay away from here. this statement just rectorates it for me. im going back to the drake

I think more than anything, pieing a politician is symbolic as we all know. The act of hitting someone in the face with pie isn't an assault on the person as much as it is an assault on their emotions for being "pied".

Unfortunatly I would regard this as a case of assault because if you're going to pie someone, you need a hell of alot of people behind you saying "YAH GOOD JOB" but when you pie someone because you and 3 or 4 other people don't like someones point of view, you're just being ignorant. I wonder how the americans would feel if we pied their leaders for allowing people to shoot off fireworks? The facts are that the seal hunt is has a multitude of benefits and in no way jeaporizes the sustainable populations of seals. Seals have been hunted for hundreds of years and although some people may not like the fact that they are bludgeoned to death and see this as "inhumane". This seems quite a random thing to be pissed off about and given the multitude of other inhumane acts going on in the world, I wish this stupid bitch would keep her nose out of our countries buisness.

the EU is banning seal products not the americans

Gee folks,

Last I heard - 1 year in jail cost us about $45,000. A lousy waste of $'s. Deport her in a garbage truck from Toronto to the US. They leave every hour.

NB - they give us acid rain and we give them Toronto's garbage. Good deal or what?

Don