Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Finder

LlamaLeach

Guest tallieho

fishing buddy [cheap one],but to clarify that .I only use it to find the bottom ,temp..make yourselve a holder 1 1/2" piece of abs sewer pipe,2 45degree bends,piece of nylon straping with a buckle 3'x 1/2 ".some abs glue[contact].I've used mine for 10+ yrs.

I have been quite impressed with battery life on my fishin' buddy. 3D's and you are good for 8hrs easy. Then I just charge them in the truck over night. Not sure how the kicking from the belly boat might cloud the signal off the transponder (I think thats what they call it). Also agree with the comment above.."I only use it to find the bottom ,temp" This is true for me also, it is just a tool to find drop off's and other structure. If I wanted to stare at a screen all day I would go to work! Big asset when fishing chronomids

Some people like to use a hummingbird smart cast and just tie the little device to your boat and wear the watch. Its easy and portable. The monitor is a watch and the device its self is about the same size. Designed so you can cast them in to shore or out ot the depths. Ive had guys tell me they tie them on to there belly boat and just let it drag. Wont add any extra weight and they retail for around 150-200 bucks. depending on where you look.

Thanks you guys

Looking to find the bottom, didn't know I could find the temperature as well.

What about the Lawrence models ?

Lowrance and Eagle are the same company. Their product lines are very similar, just different names, and I think Eagle are a little less money. I use mine mostly for the bottom, but who knows, every now and then you might see some fish. Terry

2367.jpg

Llama...

I'm now on my fourth depth finder/fish finder.

The first Fishing Buddy died over winter. They couldn't tolerate the cold apparently. Bought another Fiishing Buddy and the transducer keeps falling off + battery life is not good. Two friends also have F Buddies. One has his with him all the time and occasionally turns it on. Seems to be OK. The other guy's brand new one crapped. Got replacement that seems OK.

Then it was a Apelco Portable that used 2 six volt lantern batteries. Batteries lasted but the head leaked water into it. Occasional water droplets running down the contacts and all of a sudden I was in 500' of water.

And now it's a Humminibird Pirahna that was back to the repair shop 'cause the head leaked water. Returned and it still leaked. Removed back and found out that the "tech" had not replaced the "0" rings and 2 were partly gone. New "O" rings and it still leaks. Now I put a sandwich bag over the head when it rains. The battery using a gel battery will last about 80 hours or so between charges. The newest thing is the connection into the head.

Anybody know of one that hangs in there?

catch ya'

Don

terry

I was noticeing your reading said 57 degrees, was that the water temperature at the surface or at the boottom.

how long have you had your Eagle, and how deep does it read?

Some of the lakes in newfound land are said to be very deep and I am courious to find out how deep they are.

Anybody know of one that hangs in there?

..........................Don

Don, I'd give up on the Fishing Buddy, and get a low end unit like the one in my picture. I keep mine in the saddle bag between trips, and it takes me about a minute to hook it up to the gel cell and mount the transducer. I attach the transducer to the bottom of the pontoon seat, using a rare earth magnet.

ffinder1.jpg

ffinder2.jpg

ffinder3.jpg

ffinder4.jpg

terry

I was noticeing your reading said 57 degrees, was that the water temperature at the surface or at the boottom.

how long have you had your Eagle, and how deep does it read?

Some of the lakes in newfound land are said to be very deep and I am courious to find out how deep they are.

Keith - I've had the Cuda 168 for about 5 years, and it works great as a pontoon or float tube sonar. I've got a jazzier (i.e. more pixels, more power) version (Eagle Fishmark 480) for my fishing boat, but you can't beat the small low end Eagles. Most sonars also do surface temperature, since the thermocouple is in the transducer. The depth capability depends on the power -- in the case of the Cuda 168, it's supposed to be good to 600'. Can't say that I've tried it out at that depth. Terry

Deadly setup, well done!!!!

Don, I'd give up on the Fishing Buddy, and get a low end unit like the one in my picture. I keep mine in the saddle bag between trips, and it takes me about a minute to hook it up to the gel cell and mount the transducer. I attach the transducer to the bottom of the pontoon seat, using a rare earth magnet.

ffinder1.jpg

ffinder2.jpg

ffinder3.jpg

ffinder4.jpg

Keith - I've had the Cuda 168 for about 5 years, and it works great as a pontoon or float tube sonar. I've got a jazzier (i.e. more pixels, more power) version (Eagle Fishmark 480) for my fishing boat, but you can't beat the small low end Eagles. Most sonars also do surface temperature, since the thermocouple is in the transducer. The depth capability depends on the power -- in the case of the Cuda 168, it's supposed to be good to 600'. Can't say that I've tried it out at that depth. Terry

Have you even packed the head and transducer in the same area. Always been concerned that the rare earth magnets have enough power to drag the brains outta computer chips. .............

Don, I've been storing the transducer/magnet setup in the same saddle bag as I store the sonar head. They've been sitting side by side for quite a few years now, and there's been no sign of any problem. I'm not sure why there would be -- a magnetic field shouldn't bother silicon. Terry