Fly Fusion Forums

Pheasant Tail Variations - Lets See Em!

kungfool

just thought I would toss in a quick note about the effectivenss of koolaid for dying fly tying stuff...... could be handy for those of you who might be interested in having some different colours of pheasant tail. I picked up several predyed phasant tails so I have actually not tried to dye them but I imagine koolaid would do the trick.

Great looking flies, Kungfool. Have you seen this video of the traditional tie? It's just a vice, hook, wire, and feather. Pretty cool, throwback stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYlIwDuPiE

Yeah I have seen this one. I thought of buying the mats to make PTs just like the inventor actually did as show in this video but have yet to follow through.

Oliver Edwards is probably my most favorite fly fishing personality and I strive every time I am out to become as good as he is by the time I am his age. What an amazing person and fly fisherman he is :D .

Yeah I have seen this one. I thought of buying the mats to make PTs just like the inventor actually did as show in this video but have yet to follow through.

I haven't tied one either. You probably do have the materials, though. Just some wire slightly thicker than the "human hair", some hooks, and a pheasant tail. The original doesn't have legs, but I think I wouldn't be able to help myself and would put some on anyway!

• 2 months later...

This is my 'go to' PTN, works a treat on still water rainbows feeding on the bottom. Small but deadly.

DSCN0849.jpg

Hook - Kamasan B175 size 12

Thread - UTC Olive

Rib - Hot Yellow UTC brassie wire

Tail, abdomen, wingcase - 5 or 6 long PT fibres - hen or cock

Thorax - Gorse Yellow Seals Fur

This is tied as a one piece - trap the tail fibres after catching in the ribbing wire and then wind on the abdomen, trap with thread and then spiral the rib, trap this and break off then dub on the seal's fur and take the fibres over this to form the wing case and tie down before trimming and whip finishing the nymph.

This is my 'go to' PTN, works a treat on still water rainbows feeding on the bottom. Small but deadly.

Hook - Kamasan B175 size 12

Thread - UTC Olive

Rib - Hot Yellow UTC brassie wire

Tail, abdomen, wingcase - 5 or 6 long PT fibres - hen or cock

Thorax - Gorse Yellow Seals Fur

This is a sweet looking pattern. Thanks for sharing.

BAAAHHHHAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HA!

i think i need to simplify my tying. this might be the way to go. tie one pattern and one pattern only and then call it whatever you want at any given time. then that way when someone asks what you just caught that 23incher on, you can say, a bow river leech or copper john. then watch their faces when you pull out the SJW and explain the action of the material movement in the water when you strip it in at different speeds.