Fly Fusion Forums

Pheasant Tail Variations - Lets See Em!

kungfool

Clive,

You sure that bottom one is not an olive and white clouser? I hate to challenge one as knowledgeable as you, but seems pretty obvious to me.

Oh and Kevin, please drop off a bunch of those red pts, size 16, off at my house. Preferably before tomorrow.

Clive,

You sure that bottom one is not an olive and white clouser? I hate to challenge one as knowledgeable as you, but seems pretty obvious to me.

Oh and Kevin, please drop off a bunch of those red pts, size 16, off at my house. Preferably before tomorrow.

Ill tie you up a half dozen Rickr.

Here's some versions I tie. Sorry for the bad photos. Don't make mine look as fancy as your guys' but they seem to do the trick

Red pt w/ red or black wire

fosho007.jpg

fosho005.jpg

Purple pt w/ black or gold wire

fosho004.jpg

fosho001.jpg

Green pt w/ Chartreuse wire (this one worked extremely well pre-runoff/runoff in sz 12!)

fosho003.jpg

Here is my version of a red pheasant tail....after hearing about Kungfool catching 30+ fish the two days ago I rushed to the bench to tie such a fly. Of course, I found myself without any red dyed pheasant tail so I improvised, red thread, red wire, and a red marker. I was quite surprised at how much redder this turned out than a normal fly.

Rickr, you might want to try this fly also, I have proof that it catches whities.

Dryfly, I was fishing your version of a pheasant tail and caught a nice brown....unfortunately they did not seem to like the "real thing" as much as the imitation red pheasant tail.