Fly Fusion Forums

Whitefish

Jim mclennan once said "I'de rather catch rainbows then whitefish, but I'de rather catch whitefish than nothing."

I'm inclined to disagree, I dun like whitefish. Today I landed one rainbow, and 2 whitefish. and I lost about 10 whitefish. I would have been happy if all I had caught was the one rainbow.

HAHAHA yah today was an insane day, I started off with a nice brown trout and then hammered 11 whitefish and they dug in man one took my into my backing, and took me on a walk cause he spit the hook and then it snagged his tail lol I thought i had an iceberg on the end of my line for a couple minutes hahaha. they sure are fat this time of year and love CJ's

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if you dont like them that much you can also change your flys to things that dont fit in their mouths. I have yet to catch one on a streamer (or FH them yet...)

Dude quit giving away all the prime white fish water.... Dont know if this is true but i was reading somewhere that white fish will generally sit higher up in the run in the winter because they are a native species that has a higher metabolism/ better adaptation to the cooler water temps? So if ya start getting in whites, move up or down the run. Anyone verify?

go behind the golf course at glenmore tr. and deerfoot. you'll catch a dozen in a couple hours and lose just as much.

Thanks but I found hole full of them today, landed 8 and lost another 3 or 4 in 25-30 mins. How big do these things get anyway, after catching 5 or 6 of them I hooked into something really solid that acted the same way, did land him or see em to tell what it was.

They look ans dif. smell like a herring to me, but bow river bones do sound cooler.

biggest ive seen barnes is about 3 lbs 21 inches... big browns can behave similar before they wake up! ive bin in a pod of cracker fish before then hooked a big brown who played possum for a minute then finally burned me on a good run/jump/roll!

Thanks but I found hole full of them today, landed 8 and lost another 3 or 4 in 25-30 mins. How big do these things get anyway, after catching 5 or 6 of them I hooked into something really solid that acted the same way, did land him or see em to tell what it was.

They look ans dif. smell like a herring to me, but bow river bones do sound cooler.

Pretty big ;):

RyanWhitey.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
Jim mclennan once said "I'de rather catch rainbows then whitefish, but I'de rather catch whitefish than nothing."

I'm inclined to disagree, I dun like whitefish. Today I landed one rainbow, and 2 whitefish. and I lost about 10 whitefish. I would have been happy if all I had caught was the one rainbow.

I would say you are catching whites cause you are not fishing either with the right technique or location for rainbows.

Without juvenile whites...you don't grow trout as big.

Don't disparage the poor white...at the rate our fisheries seem to go...whites will be the next species on the endangered list.

Nobody really knows how far below historical levels they are...

IMHO