Fly Fusion Forums

Special Carp Flyfishing

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

have a nice day~

The New Fly Fisher had an episode a few years ago highlighting sight fishing for carp in Wyoming... Looked pretty cool!

When we visit Deb's parents in Oliver BC, I always see lots of carp jumping in Tuc-el-Nuit Lake (the lake loacated within the town). Next time we go, I'm bring my rods which means I probably need to invest in a 8 or 9 wt as a 6 wt probably wouldn't cut it!!

P

not about flyfishing, l used to live in southern ontario and the carp there are huge biggest we got was almost 30 pounds and they can bulldog, funny thing was in highschool we use to bow and arrow them and sell them to the americans that came over 2 canada to fish. 1 repeat customer would pay us 20bucks a fish so that would be are drinkin money for the weekend. Good times

That looks real fun!...Medicine Hat has N3 (triploid) "Grass Carp" in a few ponds to control weeds....And a few of them are huge...Did some research, and from what I gather, all they eat is weeds....So I don't think they are fishable??, Unless, you can tie up one hell of a weed pattern... :lol: ..

*Edit*...More research revealed- Cherry tomatoes, bread, bagel, dough balls, sweet corn and floating french fries work well as bait for Grass Carp...Also read they are very smart and are hard to fool...And, are suppose to put up one heck of a battle...I'm thinkin the Carp here in the Hat are not to be fished for??...As they are stocked for weed control and are N3's...

That looks real fun!...Medicine Hat has N3 (triploid) "Grass Carp" in a few ponds to control weeds....And a few of them are huge...Did some research, and from what I gather, all they eat is weeds....So I don't think they are fishable??, Unless, you can tie up one hell of a weed pattern... :lol: ..

I read they also eat berries that fall into the water so a globug might work or just tie some green craft fur to a hook. If your hook gets some weeds or grass caught in it would that be considered using bait?

If your hook gets some weeds or grass caught in it would that be considered using bait?

Lol... :D ...I just sent a email to the regional Biologist, asking about the regs on the Grass Carp...Ill post what I hear back...I have never seen anything in the regs about the Grass Carp...

Cheers...Jeff..

I just fond this on a website...LOL... :lol:...I get a kick out of the mower part...But, the "grass fly" just might work...

"Take a lawn mower to your chosen carp lake (if the owner and law will permit it) and mow a strip of grass along the edge. The mower should be positioned so the grass clippings spray into the lake.

Now, take a small bundle of green grass and attach it to a hook with a little rubber band. If you prefer, you can create a little "grass fly" and use it with a fly rod.

When carp start coming up to eat the grass (if they are present, they most certainly will), cast this lure/bait amongst all those big rubbery lips and get ready to do battle."

Found out the Medicine Hat College Pond was netted over the summer (thats where the giant Grass Carp were) and, no carp were recovered...Must have killed over the last few winters....However, there are Grass Carp still left in Ponds at Golf courses here in Medicine Hat, But Its private property and I cant see gettin permission to fish for them...

Lethbridge Has Grass Carp stocked in Henderson Lake and Nicholas Sheran ponds, and it IS LEGAL to catch them...Maybe you guys in Lethbridge and area can givem a shot in the spring, heck, I might come over and give it a go on a trip to the Crow...Probably be a hoot to get on of those big buggers on thee old fly-rod!!... :catch:

Cheers...Jeff..

Hey jeff I will come out and chase them pigs around henderson with you. back in the day when I first moved to lethbridge and first tried fly fishing I took my sweet canadian tire fly rod combo over the henderson and chucked on a floating foam hook that is meant for walleye rigs in a green and chartruesse color scheme. It took about half an hour and I was hooked into one of those hogs. It ended up snapping the rod and breaking my leader but I did have one hooked up for awhile. Over the years I have headed there but with no rod in hand just to watch them and see how they react. My dad picked up an 8 wt berkley cherrywood fly rod for me at a garage sale so I think I may get a reel and some 8 wt line and see if I can hook into some carp this summer. Maybe we can arrange to do a henderson trip for carp and a trip out to bullshead right at ice off to hook some footballs out there.

Nate

Looks like fun. There is some big carp in the lagoons downstream of Vaseaux lake as well. I had a fun time catching NORTHERN PIKE MINNOWS on dries in the river there one day.

Lots of big carp in the Bighorn in Montana as well.

Your post is now politically correct, sir; you're welcome! :angel:smail:

I was going to be correct...but when I caught them they were still squaw fish. If I ever get back there I will report their new improved name.

I like your new picture....just missing a flower. You are becoming a true artiste. Just catching fish is so boring now...we need to do it with style.

Hey Jeff,

Who did you ask about the Carp?

From what I know, you CAN NOT fish for them (it is signed stating that you can't fish for them too).

The city spent alot of money putting them in the Lakes and they don't want them removed or harmed (like anything can harm a carp). I was also under the impression that they didn't want them taken and moved to other locations.

But that was based on earlier conversations and looking at the signs last spring... maybe I'll take a look again tonight.

For real carp fishing, the Missouri River has a large population in Great Falls.

Cheers,