Fly Fusion Forums

Proud Owner Of A New Custom 5 Weight!

birchy

So I had been already fly fishing for a couple years when I found out that my uncle's brother is actually an avid fly angler. Ties his own flies, and even builds his own rods. Well the last couple seasons we've been threatening to get out together, but seeing as he lives in Lacombe, we just haven't had a chance to make it happen yet. This past summer, we were talking amongst a crowd, and as he was walking away he turned back and said "oh, and by the way, you have a gift coming your way!" .. or at least that's what I thought I heard. Fast forward 7 months and this past week my uncle said to me, "hey Ryan, Bro is coming down to visit this weekend. He says he's bringing something for you..". Cool!

Seeing as I'm getting forgetful at the ripe old age of 28 though - I had kind of forgot about it already! So yesterday while we were out and about, he showed up for a visit.

Upon arriving home last night I found waiting for me probably the coolest gift I've ever been given!!...

Rod, Reel (spooled with backing/line/leader), and an assortment of flies:

DSCN5558.jpg

I'm digging the grip! That groove fits my pinky finger perfectly.

DSCN5562.jpg

DSCN5564.jpg

My first inital and last name.. he had trouble with one letter but I ain't complainin!!

DSCN5565.jpg

DSCN5561.jpg

DSCN5560.jpg

My cousin also fly fishes, and he had showed me a rod that uncle's bro had built for him a few years ago. So I kind of had a feeling that's what it would be. But I was NOT expecting this!! Needless to say, I'm absolutely blown away! So excited! And everything else in between. I believe uncle's brother has a Bow River float in store for him this summer as a big thank you!!

Wow.

I thought it might be a rainshadow blank as that is what I made me 5wt 10' 6 switch rod with (Haven't finished it yet as I just don't have the time to do all the epoxy yet, 1 year and not finished I wonder when I will get it finished)

But talking to a couple of guys that I know that builds rods they all said they were very impressed with the rainshadow blanks for the money you pay for them.

Have fun Birchy and maybe just maybe I might be able to get out with you on the bow one of these days for some dry action. I just got a new 5wt 9foot rod that I am absoultly dieing to try out with dries.

Have fun Birchy and maybe just maybe I might be able to get out with you on the bow one of these days for some dry action. I just got a new 5wt 9foot rod that I am absoultly dieing to try out with dries.

Sounds like a plan to me!

• 1 month later...

Fishing was pretty slow on the Crow today but we managed to get into a few.. broke in my new 5 weight with a GORGEOUS fat, healthy ~18" bow, followed by a 14"er on the next cast. Awesomeness. Unfortunately.. I thought CDock was video recording the whole thing.. talked to the camera for a second and then let her go back into the water just in time to hear CDock say "whoa! wait! what?!"

Got a picture of the next one though.. will post it up when I get them. Very happy with the rod! Can't wait to call up Uncle's brother and let him know!