Fly Fusion Forums

Referee's Screw America

Goaltending (on both sides) and blocked shots is what won that one for the USA. Amazing game.

Biggest difference was that the US Coach pulled his goalie when he should have. Allen should have been gone by after the second goal and definately after the 3rd.

That game reminded me of one I watched in 1980. USA outplayed badly but sat back and waited for the other team to get over-aggresive then pounced on weak goaltending. The best team in the tourney was probably Sweeden, followed closely by Canada - USA was a distant third but they knew how to let the other teams beat themselves.

Funny how just before overtime Gord or Pierre mentioned that the Canadian Coaches had stressed no more drop passes at the blue line in 4:4 and that is exactly what they did.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty epic game to watch... canada's weak spot was sure in net this game. I feel bad the guys are just kids... I hope that Allen can get back on track and play well for his regular team. Marc Andre Fluery choked at the WJ and then went on to win a cup...

Distant third? Hmm.

The US played Canada twice. 9-9 I think in regulation. Lost one in a shootout, won the other in OT. Massively (2-1 margin) outshot the canadians up until midway in the third in game two. They were also outshooting them in game 1 until midway in the third (if memory serves). Canada was in the lead for maybe 5 minutes total in the two game. First goal in both, with pretty quick replies by the US. US blocked WAY more shots, and their team speed was an issue for Canada, so much so that they changed tactics in game 2 to try to counteract the speed. Oh, and the US beat Sweden too, if memory serves and Finland. Canada only beat the US (of the teams that had a significant chance at medalling).

So while I certainly can see an argument for team talent on Sweden and Canada being superior, they certainly are not far superior, at least from what I saw, though I am in no way qualified to make such an assertion.

To use a Jim Rome phrase:

"Scoreboard"

Guest Sundancefisher
Distant third? Hmm.

The US played Canada twice. 9-9 I think in regulation. Lost one in a shootout, won the other in OT. Massively (2-1 margin) outshot the canadians up until midway in the third in game two. They were also outshooting them in game 1 until midway in the third (if memory serves). Canada was in the lead for maybe 5 minutes total in the two game. First goal in both, with pretty quick replies by the US. US blocked WAY more shots, and their team speed was an issue for Canada, so much so that they changed tactics in game 2 to try to counteract the speed. Oh, and the US beat Sweden too, if memory serves and Finland. Canada only beat the US (of the teams that had a significant chance at medalling).

So while I certainly can see an argument for team talent on Sweden and Canada being superior, they certainly are not far superior, at least from what I saw, though I am in no way qualified to make such an assertion.

To use a Jim Rome phrase:

"Scoreboard"

Canada out played the US in the final game. They got sloppy a few time and were scored on. The US on the other hand were just out played on the goals.

The US was very good at blocking the shots and preventing shots close in. They also moved the puck fast and accurately.

Overall...a nicely matched game. The kids on both sides played with real heart!

Congrats Canada...and good job US..

Sun

P.S. The US would not of won without the Canadians playing on their team and the US players playing in the Canadian system. That should also be noted...Canada had a strong part in the US playing a strong game.

That game reminded me of one I watched in 1980. USA outplayed badly but sat back and waited for the other team to get over-aggresive then pounced on weak goaltending. The best team in the tourney was probably Sweeden, followed closely by Canada - USA was a distant third but they knew how to let the other teams beat themselves.

Don't know what tourney you were watching Reh, but saying the US was a distant 3rd is blatantly false, or at least not giving enough credit where credit was due. The US was a strong skating, hard working team, and they deserved their win.

Smitty

P.S. The US would not of won without the Canadians playing on their team and the US players playing in the Canadian system. That should also be noted...Canada had a strong part in the US playing a strong game.

That and the fact the US said they copied the Canadian playing style.

But using the same logic, The CFL is really just a bunch of Americans playing in Canada. And where exactly was Donovan Bailey from? Just wondering aloud.

And for the record, one of the Canadians is a dual US/Canadian citizen. And I bet right now he is questioning his decision to play for Canada!!

By the way, what game were you watching? Shots midway thru the third were 24 to 12. I do not deny that Canada completely owned the second part of the third, but after that it was back and forth. Man, they call Americans myopic............ ;)

Don't worry about it Rickr, surely you realize a couple of things:

1) Canadians are insecure,

2) Hockey is our passion,

Beat us in hockey and you get 1+2+defeat=

tres, tres bitterness.

:D

Smitty

I agree with our local radio talk show host: sucks that we lost, but it will definitely boost hockey in the US, especially considering that the US plays host next year.

But using the same logic, The CFL is really just a bunch of Americans playing in Canada.

CFL

Import Ratio Explained

Each team may dress a 42-man active roster consisting of:

3 QBs (no designation)

19 imports

20 non-imports

The 19 imports break down as follows:

16 imports

3 Designated Imports

The three designated imports are players who can play on special teams OR replace an import starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters must be non-imports. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of non-import players):

1 QB

16 starting imports

7 starting non-imports

Import / Non-Import Classification

A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of seven years prior to attaining the age of fifteen years qualifies as a non-import player.

Don't worry about it Rickr, surely you realize a couple of things:

1) Canadians are insecure,

2) Hockey is our passion,

Beat us in hockey and you get 1+2+defeat=

tres, tres bitterness.

:D

Smitty

Actually rickr, many Canadians are insecure - they are the ones that go around apologizing all the time for things they didn't say and feel that they can speak for all Canadians.

Actually rickr, many Canadians are insecure - they are the ones that go around apologizing all the time for things they didn't say and feel that they can speak for all Canadians.

Reh:

lol. You should try reading what I said; not apologizing to anyone, and I don't speak for all Canadians; I'm just correcting your misrepresentation of the US team. But go ahead, continue getting your back up. :)

Smitty

Guest Sundancefisher
That and the fact the US said they copied the Canadian playing style.

But using the same logic, The CFL is really just a bunch of Americans playing in Canada. And where exactly was Donovan Bailey from? Just wondering aloud.

And for the record, one of the Canadians is a dual US/Canadian citizen. And I bet right now he is questioning his decision to play for Canada!!

By the way, what game were you watching? Shots midway thru the third were 24 to 12. I do not deny that Canada completely owned the second part of the third, but after that it was back and forth. Man, they call Americans myopic............ ;)

Watching the game I looked to the quality shots. Canada had more quality scoring chances but I would agree...they tried to be a little to pretty with waiting for the premium shot. They should of put more randon shots on net cause that is when luck can get you a goal or two.

Still...without Canada's system...the US would have no hockey team capable of beating the Europeans.

Holy crap!! So even when you guys finally loose a junior tournament you have to come up with all the reasons you should have won? 5 in a row not quite enough for you? Too funny. I actually had no intention of rubbing in the fact you guys lost because it was such a great game, the players on both sides conducted themselves with such class that I thought gloating would be unseemly. But you know what, I don't feel a bit bad about it any more. Oh Say Can You See!!

Mr. B, you are right. Virtually no one in the US watched and I personally don't think this game will make a drop of difference in the the popularity of the game. Too bad, its a fun game to watch. But as I've said before, in too much of the country we didn't play it because there was no opportunity to. I just can't see how it will ever be anything other than a niche game in the US. Again, that's too bad.

BTW, I'm trying to be a better Canadian. Went to Blue Rodeo last night, can sing most of the songs. But I didn't do too good when they let the audience sing on December Night. I know the "Hey, hey I guess it hasn't hit me yet" part (an appropriate lyric for this thread), but not the verses. I'll try harder next time. Knocked Diamond Mine out of the freakin park though. "You say-hey the party's over. But like a druken fool I never know when to leave." (Hey, another appropriate lryic)

However, the real problem in becoming a better Canadian is Hockey will never be #1. I enjoy watching, but the truth is the game between Texas and Alabama tonite (Hook 'em!!) is a WAY bigger deal to me. As is the Cowboy game Saturday night. The games you loved and played as a kid will always be the ones you identify most with.

Watching the game I looked to the quality shots. Canada had more quality scoring chances but I would agree...they tried to be a little to pretty with waiting for the premium shot. They should of put more randon shots on net cause that is when luck can get you a goal or two.

Still...without Canada's system...the US would have no hockey team capable of beating the Europeans.

Sun, why the determined need to somehow tie US's victory to Canada? Can't we just let. it. go.?

Or, how about this sentence;

"Still...without US trading 1 billion dollars of goods with us daily...the Canadian economy would struggle to function."

I mean golly gee, wow, the US won because they adapted some Canadian concepts. Big deal, and we're flattered.

By the way, what does that say about us, who, upon realizing the level of hockey instruction in Europe and Russia in the 70's in regards to skating, passing, shooting, and team play was eclipsing our own, decided to "borrow" concepts employed by European and Russian teams. I remember attending hockey schools where our instructors where giving credit to European and Russian play, systems, and drills.

Or, as the English say, "how dare the rest of the world play football! (soccer)."

Or, finally, will we try to strike down as hollow when China beats us (inevitably) in a curling match (their women's program is completely dedicated to building a world class team that plays over here the majority of the year). Of course their skill will have come by playing in the best tournaments in the world - right here in our own backyard.

Countries having been 'borrowing', 'stealing', 'plagiarizing' winning sports systems since the dawn of frickin' time. Get over it.

Of course, I should too; the 1994 Rangers had 7 ex-Oilers on their team, so I like to think of that as the Oilers 6th cup! ;)

Smitty

The US fully deserved their victory and the credit for playing so well. Kudos to them.