Fly Fusion Forums

Ipod Touch

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I am thinking about getting this for a combined birthday, christmas present for a 13 year old. Any thoughts on if it would be useful? Also anyone shop around and can point me out to the best deal?

I see they come in different hard drive sizes...is 8 gb enough?

Thanks.

Sun

Sun,

Can't comment on the touch, but a suggestion as far as if/when you are ready to purchase one... Use your Air Miles/Aeroplan points, etc. and purchase Future Shop gift cards... IMHO, its better value to put these type of points towards purchasing "things" then using them for impossible to get seats on flights... Just my opinion.

P

I am thinking about getting this for a combined birthday, christmas present for a 13 year old. Any thoughts on if it would be useful? Also anyone shop around and can point me out to the best deal?

Thanks.

Sun

Sun, My 16 and 14 year old daughters each got one last Christmas...and the 11 yr old is now asking...tough life they live...but remember they can then connect via wi-fi to the internet so ensure the proper internet security practices are followed on the Itouch as well as your desktop....i.e. content blocking, virus protection etc...you can also get a bit of break on the price by ordering refurbished devices from the apple online store...we have got a few of those and they work fine...sk

I've had the iphone for about a year and half. Basically the same thing as the touch just with phone capabilities. Really easy to use and navigate and a fully developed app store (most are free apps). i can't think of any real complaints that i would have against it.

As far as hard drive size - it would depend on if you planned on storing movies. I have the 16gb iphone and have music and some movie/podcasts and i find it's just enough.

Can't go wrong with the touch imho

Sun, My 16 and 14 year old daughters each got one last Christmas...and the 11 yr old is now asking...tough life they live...but remember they can then connect via wi-fi to the internet so ensure the proper internet security practices are followed on the Itouch as well as your desktop....i.e. content blocking, virus protection etc...you can also get a bit of break on the price by ordering refurbished devices from the apple online store...we have got a few of those and they work fine...sk

Umm, there are no antivirus products for the iPhone or iPod Touch. Mac users think they're immune to viruses anyhow...

Prices for iPods are going to be pretty much the same everywhere, though some places might throw in freebies like a free case. Refurbs will be cheaper if you're ok with them (some people aren't).

I have an Itouch and it's great. I use mine for medical stuff and songs, and 8gb is plenty ( I can only fill half it so far). But yea, if lots of movies go on it 16 would prolly be better. I dont play a lot of games on it, but I think a 13 year old would find some of the games available fun too. Check email, go on internet, all that. Only thing is no camera on it and no phone and no 3g network.

Also, I kept searching on kijiji and craigslist for mine. I know its a bit sketchy but if they can offer new in box, never opened, I cant really see how it could be a scam. Theres a lot of really cheap ones (of the 8gb) because everyone who bought a mac laptop for a while got a free itouch with it, and if they already had an ipod they go and sell that one off for cheap online. Also, theres some people who work at the stores that carry these things, and they sometimes buy em cheap from their store, sell em for a bit more online to make money, but still cheaper than in store. So if you think you can trust an internet sell, thats where you can get the cheapest.

Thanks.

Sun

I bought one for my then 15 yr old. 2 months until it was smashed. They are not the most robust phones, so the 13 yr old would need to be more careful than mine are.

Get the biggest hard drive you can afford. Movies take up about 1 gig each. I bought the 32 gb earlier this year for the same price that the new 64 gb is now fetching. I will likely get rid of the 32 gb and upgrade within the next year or so.

Great for travel. Awesome little pocket "laptop" with the wifi capabilities. I use it constantly when not at my desktop. They now come with headphones with mic. Download Skype on it and talk to anyone in the world using your iPod! Amazing.

Guest Sundancefisher
I have an Itouch and it's great. I use mine for medical stuff and songs, and 8gb is plenty ( I can only fill half it so far). But yea, if lots of movies go on it 16 would prolly be better. I dont play a lot of games on it, but I think a 13 year old would find some of the games available fun too. Check email, go on internet, all that. Only thing is no camera on it and no phone and no 3g network.

Also, I kept searching on kijiji and craigslist for mine. I know its a bit sketchy but if they can offer new in box, never opened, I cant really see how it could be a scam. Theres a lot of really cheap ones (of the 8gb) because everyone who bought a mac laptop for a while got a free itouch with it, and if they already had an ipod they go and sell that one off for cheap online. Also, theres some people who work at the stores that carry these things, and they sometimes buy em cheap from their store, sell em for a bit more online to make money, but still cheaper than in store. So if you think you can trust an internet sell, thats where you can get the cheapest.

Thanks everyone... Lot's of useful intel.

mvdaog...I will have to check kijiji!

Sun

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have a touch and a regular phone and i save $40ish/month on bills. I have WiFi at work and home so i really dont need the 3g network or what ever the heck its called.

in conclusion - itouch is A++ in my books

Guest Sundancefisher

Arggg...

So I got an Ipod Touch for him and now somehow my whole library has been altered. I have so far only been able to recover my purchased songs from itunes and none of the cd's I have transferred over the years...no telling where they are either.

If you were on a Mac I could help you... Sorry!

Maybe Marc (Headscan) can assist?!

P

Arggg...

So I got an Ipod Touch for him and now somehow my whole library has been altered. I have so far only been able to recover my purchased songs from itunes and none of the cd's I have transferred over the years...no telling where they are either.

Thats really weird I got one for windows and that definitely didn't happen...

This might work from the interweb:

Hold down the shift key while opening iTunes. Continue holding it down until a screen pops up asking you to choose a library or create a new one. Select to choose a library. A browser window pops up. Navigate to your H: drive and look for an iTunes file with a .itl extension. This is usually located in "My Documents - My Music - iTunes" folder, but could have been located on your H: drive or elsewhere on your computer. (On my computer this was located in "My Documents - My music - Itunes - Previous Itunes libraries" There were two backed up libraries present in there, hopefully some for you)

If that doesn't work, then go to "My Computer", click on search and run a search for ".itl" (without the quotes). If more than one .itl file is found, then do the shift-button thing while opening iTunes and try each one. One of them is likely your library.

If not, sounds like something may have went horribly wrong. But if you haven't been moving or deleting folders, iTunes may have just randomly lost track of the library .itl file. This happened to me yesterday. I fired up iTunes and it asked me to choose a library even though my external was plugged in and my .itl file intact. I just pointed iTunes in the right direction and things were back to normal.

Guest Sundancefisher
Thats really weird I got one for windows and that definitely didn't happen...

This might work from the interweb:

Hold down the shift key while opening iTunes. Continue holding it down until a screen pops up asking you to choose a library or create a new one. Select to choose a library. A browser window pops up. Navigate to your H: drive and look for an iTunes file with a .itl extension. This is usually located in "My Documents - My Music - iTunes" folder, but could have been located on your H: drive or elsewhere on your computer. (On my computer this was located in "My Documents - My music - Itunes - Previous Itunes libraries" There were two backed up libraries present in there, hopefully some for you)

If that doesn't work, then go to "My Computer", click on search and run a search for ".itl" (without the quotes). If more than one .itl file is found, then do the shift-button thing while opening iTunes and try each one. One of them is likely your library.

If not, sounds like something may have went horribly wrong. But if you haven't been moving or deleting folders, iTunes may have just randomly lost track of the library .itl file. This happened to me yesterday. I fired up iTunes and it asked me to choose a library even though my external was plugged in and my .itl file intact. I just pointed iTunes in the right direction and things were back to normal.

It seems that itunes will redownload what I have bought but all the other music I had has magically disappeared. Also the ipod won't sync now...says it is missing the folder "My Pictures". I am wondering if my kid when he plugged his ipod touch in messed up my account. I have been trying to see how we can all have different ipod accounts but use some of the same music.

Clearly more complicated than I anticipated this would be. Now I have to find all my old cds...TimeLife hits of the 60, 70, 80's etc... :-) I wonder it my none itunes purchases are in a different directory?

It seems that itunes will redownload what I have bought but all the other music I had has magically disappeared. Also the ipod won't sync now...says it is missing the folder "My Pictures". I am wondering if my kid when he plugged his ipod touch in messed up my account. I have been trying to see how we can all have different ipod accounts but use some of the same music.

Clearly more complicated than I anticipated this would be. Now I have to find all my old cds...TimeLife hits of the 60, 70, 80's etc... :-) I wonder it my none itunes purchases are in a different directory?

Make a reservation for the Genius Bar at the Market Mall Apple Store. Bring the Touch with you and if your Windows computer is a laptop bring that as well. Weird problems like this are extremely difficult to troubleshoot without being in front of the computer or having experienced the same problem before.

http://concierge.apple.com/store/R301

Guest Sundancefisher
Make a reservation for the Genius Bar at the Market Mall Apple Store. Bring the Touch with you and if your Windows computer is a laptop bring that as well. Weird problems like this are extremely difficult to troubleshoot without being in front of the computer or having experienced the same problem before.

http://concierge.apple.com/store/R301

Sadly...no laptop...

Guest Sundancefisher
just a question - did the songs disappear from your ipod or from your itunes library on your comp?

They are currently still on my ipod... I can not sync though as it seems to imply it will erase and replace with just my purchased music.