Fly Fusion Forums

So Who Crashed Last Night?

I honestly never seen roads as bad as they were last night. Anybody get in any accidents? Supposedly there were hundreds of accidents. I consider my car good on the snow, but I hit the curb a few times. It took me 2 hours and some minutes to get from bowness to douglasdale, it was quite exciting actually. I did a couple of 360's too on elbow, too bad I didn't have my camera with me to take some video. :clapping:

Deerfoot south between 3:30 and 4:00 from Country Hills to Douglasdale was fine, with the usual slowdown after Glenmore. At least the contractors are doing a good job. When I came back around 9:30 it was still good, but most people were paranoid, not going over 70 or 80.

I'm glad I was so pissed off that I left work at 3:00 yesterday. Normal commute home for that time of day. Went from Douglasdale to the Superstore at 4:45 and back at 5:15 and nothing. My son called me at 11:15 and said he finally made it to his destination....Cougar Ridge to Strathcona in 3.5 hours. According to him I live in a cave and don't listen to the news.....but I don't think we got anything here that the north got.

I had a call to patch some things up yesterday, I left Calgary and drove directly to Pigeon Lake, 3 hour trip very normal driving conditions. Got everything repaired and headed back at 1:30. It was smooth sailing up to Red Deer, that's where the snow started. Roads were icey but just slowed down and it was no problem. As I drove past Bowden, traffic was heavy volume but still no problem. A half mile south of the exit to Highway 2A, we ground to a halt. It took 2 hours to get from Bowden to Olds, After that we could pick up a little speed (up to 50 KM/Hour). At the Didsbury overpass the RCMP were diverting all traffic over to 2A again. It took another 1 1/2 hours to get from Didsbury to Carstairs. Once I was back on the QE2, it was clear all the way in to town. All in all it was a slow and frustrating trip of 6 1/2 hours. It was only after reading the paper this morning that I heard someone died as they were standing ouside of their vehicle just north of Airdrie. My heart goes out to the family.

Murray

I'm glad I was so pissed off that I left work at 3:00 yesterday. Normal commute home for that time of day. Went from Douglasdale to the Superstore at 4:45 and back at 5:15 and nothing. My son called me at 11:15 and said he finally made it to his destination....Cougar Ridge to Strathcona in 3.5 hours. According to him I live in a cave and don't listen to the news.....but I don't think we got anything here that the north got.

You don't live in a Cave you live in the Ghetto. Silly Lynn.

I left Calgary about 6 Friday heading to a function in Red Deer. Got there 3 hours later. Standstill traffic for the wreck near Crossfield, went east to the 761 to get around it and promptly came upon a big rig in the ditch. Back to the 2, and the panic stricken that were travelling it. As was said about someone killed near Airdrie, yes, a terrible thing, but as I was heading home tonight I saw a guy south of Airdrie on the shoulder filling his truck with a jerry can, with no hazards on. Honestly, could a person have any more horrible instincts? As well as the 2 other cars pulled over on the shoulder, one guy rooting around in his driver's side backseat for God knows what.. Wait for an approach, or pull off the road a bit more at least. About 2 seconds of someone else not paying attention and you're 6 feet under.

Guest Sundancefisher
Word is Monday will play out the same.

It was pretty slick out. Our three car white limo had no problem staying on the rails last Friday. I think it was warmer down in the SE as the buses seemed to be having no troubles then.

Hopefully a combination of people "re-learning" how to drive in the winter along with the City "re-learning" how to use them sanding trucks will come together for fewer accidents in the days, weeks and months to come.

As I often do when a Chinook looks likely to collapse, I put the studs on my cross bike before I left for work. Rode home in slightly more than my usual 20 min. Took my GF, who works in the same building, almost an hour and a half to do the same.

It was pretty slick out. Our three car white limo had no problem staying on the rails last Friday. I think it was warmer down in the SE as the buses seemed to be having no troubles then.

Hopefully a combination of people "re-learning" how to drive in the winter along with the City "re-learning" how to use them sanding trucks will come together for fewer accidents in the days, weeks and months to come.

yea and hopefuly they dont lay that chemical down they did lastyear that does harm too trout!

I don't no why everybody's all over the sanding trucks,i was out in both storms they were out as usual.They can't be every where.I was on deerfoot at 3pm on the first storm before it really hit and they where sanding.Good thing too because it went from wet at Memorial to ice by 16th and when i got to 64th you couldn't see.

Just an observation about the cities "anti icing agent". They may as well flood the roads with water.

I was heading out to HWY 1 via Sarcee trail yesterday and I passed a truck spraying brown swill with a sign on the back saying what it was.

4 hours later I came back on the same route and the northbound lane that I was on earlier was polished ice that the rink keeper at the Saddledome would have been envoius of.

Same result last year. 1st week of December they started spraying this *hit on the roads and they iced up immediately after. Last year the city claimed it was too cold for this *hit-mix to work and it froze- huh?

what is wrong with good ole fashioned sand and rock chips? It has worked for the past 60 or so years..

Good thing I am one of those obnoxious basturds with a 4x4 and studded winter tires, so I probably passed you...

Good to see someone else in the same obnoxious club Canadensis! Studded tires were one of the best $80 investments I put into my truck. I just wish I could put a big neon sign that would point and laugh at those idiots that were still on summer tires.

BTW All-season Tires=spring, summer, fall NOT winter. "All"-seasons are meant for places where people think they get winter when the mercury drops to 0.

Good to see someone else in the same obnoxious club Canadensis! Studded tires were one of the best $80 investments I put into my truck. I just wish I could put a big neon sign that would point and laugh at those idiots that were still on summer tires.

BTW All-season Tires=spring, summer, fall NOT winter. "All"-seasons are meant for places where people think they get winter when the mercury drops to 0.

Just to be clear, I was talking about studded bicycle tires, but you're right - they're the tits! Now that I know the difference, I'm starting to think that Quebec is onto something with their winter tire law. The difference is so dramatic! I'm aware of the counter arguments (not everone has the space or the capital for 2 sets), but 1. driving is a privledge, not a right, and 2. the same arguments could be made about child seats.

Actually, it's even easier than that, since there are now such things as winter-rated all seasons. I was sceptical at first, but bought a set of these last winter: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...ance+TripleTred

Awesome tires on snow and ice and they have a 130000km tread warranty. I'm probably giving up something in the summer, but not enough to notice. Besides, it's a Subaru, not a Lotus.

The anti icing agent the city is spraying the roads down with is Calcium Chloride. It freezes at -25c and attracts moisture and becomes slippery at -17c

The weather report says we could go to -30 withing the next few days and the city has been spraying this stuff for the past 24 hours getting ready for the blizzard...

Remember last year? Around this time they soaked the roads with this crap; it froze and acted as a bonding agent for all the snow that fell.

I heard there is also urea in the mixture?

Totally agree about the winter tires. IMO, if a person says there's "not that much of a difference",

they most likely have never driven on a good set of winter tires. It should be law in most places in Canada..

Also.. Re: the "too expensive argument" - 2 things:

1. What price do you put on your (and others) life?

2. Up front it may seem like a lot, but if you average it out per mont over the life of the tire, it's pretty reasonable..

The anti icing agent the city is spraying the roads down with is Calcium Chloride. It freezes at -25c and attracts moisture and becomes slippery at -17c

The weather report says we could go to -30 withing the next few days and the city has been spraying this stuff for the past 24 hours getting ready for the blizzard...

Remember last year? Around this time they soaked the roads with this crap; it froze and acted as a bonding agent for all the snow that fell.

I heard there is also urea in the mixture?

Ya I'm not 100% sold on this method and I really think Silly Hall needs to rethink this one.

Funny thing for me is I live in Cochrane and the roads I take to come into the City are in way better shape but as soon as I hit the City it's game over *hit show right from the first set of lights all the way to the core. The Province does a hell of a lot better job of keeping the roads clear.

Guest Sundancefisher

A woman at Walmart backed into a guy and she could understand it. She just looked confused. If you are a senior and can not understand hitting someone...maybe you should not be driving.

Also I almost got rear ended by a guy in a minivan. Accelerated into a light turning yellow. Barely changed lanes in time and slide half way into the intersection.

People are driving like zombies looking for brains...cause they don't have one themselves.

WARNING STAY OFF THE ROAD...STREET ZOMBIES ARE AFTER YOU!