Fly Fusion Forums

Need Advice

Hello my friends.

As you know, I normally have no difficulty in forming and expressing an opinion. I try to balance my views by making an effort to understand the average person's position. However, just as it would be difficult for Leonardo to produce a bad painting, it is sometimes difficult for me to comprehend an average person's thought process. Therefore, I'm asking for your help in answering a question that I have. Let me start by furnishing you with some background information.

Earlier this year, I was fishing a stream located in Alberta. The stream was isolated and I was miles from any road. It was a beautiful day, and as usual, I was having an excellent day of fly fishing.

As I rounded a corner, I was surprised to see another fisherman. I struck up a conversation and noticed that he wasn't fly fishing: he had two wet flies on his line. I saw that he also had a spinning rod with him, complete with a treble hook rapala and a dropper hook with a worm on it. Over his shoulder he had a creel, and he was quite proud to show me the eight small bull trout inside. "My dog loves these things", he exclaimed.

I pointed out to him that he was breaking several regulations. He replied that he was unaware of any such regulations. I suggested that he would have received a copy of the regulations when he purchased his license. He indicated that he was a senior citizen and, therfore, did not have to purchase license.

Ralph went on to introduce himself, and when I asked how he'd come to know about the stream, he told me that he flown over it when he was doing some scouting work for a major gas plant many years ago when he was an executive in major oil company. "Later, after I'd cashed in all my stock options and decided to devote myself to public service, I remembered that this stream was within my riding", said Ralph.

This was all very interesting. I mentioned that I was surprised to see him this far into the backcountry. Ralph pointed upstream where is jet boat was parked. "I tried to ride my Quad up the middle of the stream but it was just too deep, so I left it back with my fifth wheel trailer that is parked beside the river about a mile downstream".

"Being a public servant, I get most of the summer off. So I like to come out here to fish all summer.", said my progressive yet conservatively dressed friend. He continued, "Nice place, but a tad dangerous. I've already had to shoot three grizzlies and a wolf this summer."

Ralph began to move on, but as he was leaving, he suggested that I stop by his camp on the way out. He was having trout for dinner and then cake for dessert.

Needless to say, I was in total disbelief as to what I'd just seen and heard. Here is my question for you. What is the most relevant reason for me to hate this guy?

What is the most relevant reason for me to hate this guy?

The big diesel truck he drove to pull all the crap up the logging road would be a good reason but that might be envy rather than hate. Quite possibly the chainsaw he used to clearcut the pad it was all parked on?

1. don't beleive everything

2. why did you not report him?

1. What do you mean? I saw this with my own eyes. (Except for the part about the animals and the trailer).

2. Obviously there is no cell phone coverage where I was. How was I supposed to report him?

I just knew someone would be critical of my actions here. Ralph is the criminal here, not me. No wonder so many of the really good people don't post on here anymore.

1. What do you mean? I saw this with my own eyes. (Except for the part about the animals and the trailer).

2. Obviously there is no cell phone coverage where I was. How was I supposed to report him?

I just knew someone would be critical of my actions here. Ralph is the criminal here, not me. No wonder so many of the really good people don't post on here anymore.

I don't think Ralph is the only one fishing with bait.......

I can't find any records of a person named Ralph working for big oil before turning to politics? I can find one that was a reporter then Mayor then MLA but none that came from big oil?

Maybe he gave a false name to throw you off? Maybe he was in politics in BC and moved here?

I can't find any records of a person named Ralph working for big oil before turning to politics? I can find one that was a reporter then Mayor then MLA but none that came from big oil?

Maybe he gave a false name to throw you off? Maybe he was in politics in BC and moved here?

Mayor of Calgary - work for big oil. What's the difference?

Hello my friends.

As you know, I normally have no difficulty in forming and expressing an opinion. I try to balance my views by making an effort to understand the average person's position. However, just as it would be difficult for Leonardo to produce a bad painting, it is sometimes difficult for me to comprehend an average person's thought process. Therefore, I'm asking for your help in answering a question that I have. Let me start by furnishing you with some background information.

Earlier this year, I was fishing a stream located in Alberta. The stream was isolated and I was miles from any road. It was a beautiful day, and as usual, I was having an excellent day of fly fishing.

As I rounded a corner, I was surprised to see another fisherman. I struck up a conversation and noticed that he wasn't fly fishing: he had two wet flies on his line. I saw that he also had a spinning rod with him, complete with a treble hook rapala and a dropper hook with a worm on it. Over his shoulder he had a creel, and he was quite proud to show me the eight small bull trout inside. "My dog loves these things", he exclaimed.

I pointed out to him that he was breaking several regulations. He replied that he was unaware of any such regulations. I suggested that he would have received a copy of the regulations when he purchased his license. He indicated that he was a senior citizen and, therfore, did not have to purchase license.

Ralph went on to introduce himself, and when I asked how he'd come to know about the stream, he told me that he flown over it when he was doing some scouting work for a major gas plant many years ago when he was an executive in major oil company. "Later, after I'd cashed in all my stock options and decided to devote myself to public service, I remembered that this stream was within my riding", said Ralph.

This was all very interesting. I mentioned that I was surprised to see him this far into the backcountry. Ralph pointed upstream where is jet boat was parked. "I tried to ride my Quad up the middle of the stream but it was just too deep, so I left it back with my fifth wheel trailer that is parked beside the river about a mile downstream".

"Being a public servant, I get most of the summer off. So I like to come out here to fish all summer.", said my progressive yet conservatively dressed friend. He continued, "Nice place, but a tad dangerous. I've already had to shoot three grizzlies and a wolf this summer."

Ralph began to move on, but as he was leaving, he suggested that I stop by his camp on the way out. He was having trout for dinner and then cake for dessert.

Needless to say, I was in total disbelief as to what I'd just seen and heard. Here is my question for you. What is the most relevant reason for me to hate this guy?

Just when I thought you didn't have a sense of humor... pure gold.

I think the answer is obvious - I don't think Orvis makes spinning gear do they?