Fly Fusion Forums

Coyotes Kill Woman

Guest Sundancefisher

We've actually had BIG kitty cats (cougars) pass through our backyard too! Seen the tracks and tail marks + fur to prove it, though have never seen one here yet... More of those would keep the coyotes down, but then... there big predators too! Probably more dangerous than a pack of coyotes when they get really hungry!

I've seen coyotes in the feilds here that would easily top 100lbs. have to do a double take to be sure there not wolves sometimes. :o

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen coyotes in the feilds here that would easily top 100lbs. have to do a double take to be sure there not wolves sometimes. :o

No coyote weighs 100 lbs, not even close, not ever, anywhere.

A giant coyote in Alberta/saskatchewan would be 30 lbs. The average Western yote is about 18lbs- (female) 22lbs-(male)

No coyote weighs 100 lbs, not even close, not ever, anywhere.

A giant coyote in Alberta/saskatchewan would be 30 lbs. The average Western yote is about 18lbs- (female) 22lbs-(male)

Hence why I used the term coydog....A breed of domestic dog and coyote

hmm...canadensis guess you really haven't seen to many coyotes...huh..first off the mix of coyotes in Ontario is with a small brush wolf, thus giving the appearance of a coydog..and the coyotes do get big here..cause my wolf's prime job is to hunt and kill them...here is a pic of a western coyote..that is still alive which weighed in at over 100lbs...........Wolfie

2iu9o52.jpg

hmm...canadensis guess you really haven't seen to many coyotes...huh..first off the mix of coyotes in Ontario is with a small brush wolf, thus giving the appearance of a coydog..and the coyotes do get big here..cause my wolf's prime job is to hunt and kill them...here is a pic of a western coyote..that is still alive which weighed in at over 100lbs...........Wolfie

2iu9o52.jpg

Well Wolfie I have seen a few- Where I grew up (Priddis) I would snare and shoot them in the prime months for extra money while I was in school. I would estimate that I have snared, shot, skinned and stretched in the neibhorhood of 500 coyotes over 5 or 6 years back then so ya I have a good idea of what I am talking about.

With many years of doing this, the biggest I personally encountered west of Calgary was maybe 35- 38 lbs. The yotes out on the prairies, Medicine Hat/Brooks are smaller yet than the ones in the area that I harvested them. They look big in the Winter (more visible as well with the snow) because they have a pound or so more fur. Sorry Wolfie but 100 the pound coyote is a definate wives tale. The dog in the picture you posted weighs maybe 50 pounds at best, and with it being on a leash I would say it eats alpo or kibble, not mice and voles.. The average yote in Southern alberta weighs around 20ish pounds, +- a few pounds depending on age and sex.

So Wolfie; you have a wolf and it's prime job is to hunt an kill coyotes? Hmmm...This has peeked my curiosity...please elaborate...

You'd be very hard pressed to find a coyote in Alberta that is 100lbs

You'd have a tough time finding them over 50.

SRD page on coyotes:

http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewards...ogs/Coyote.aspx

Pure strain Coyotes won't reach these weights but as soon as you start mixing in a little german sheperd here and a little malamute (insert any large breed dog here) there you end up with freakishly large coy-dogs. Not all coy-dogs resemble coyotes, but some retain all the normal characteristics, especially if those genes have been passed on a few generations.

Just like not all wolfie-dogs resemble wolves!! LoL :P

Pure strain Coyotes won't reach these weights but as soon as you start mixing in a little german sheperd here and a little malamute (insert any large breed dog here) there you end up with freakishly large coy-dogs. Not all coy-dogs resemble coyotes, but some retain all the normal characteristics, especially if those genes have been passed on a few generations.

Where I grew up (Priddis) I would snare and shoot them in the prime months for extra money while I was in school. I would estimate that I have snared, shot, skinned and stretched in the neibhorhood of 500 coyotes over 5 or 6 years back then so ya I have a good idea of what I am talking about.

With many years of doing this, the biggest I personally encountered west of Calgary was maybe 35 lbs.

You get top $ for those hides after you hit 'em with the double ought?

we probably get a lot of inter-breeding with the coyotes and the wild native dogs from the reserve out here then I would guess... we got packs of "wild dogs"... killed my cats last year... they were quite large, bigger than shepards, and this wild "dog" in my backyard a few days ago was near twice that size.. makes the one in wolfies pic there look like a little puppy that's why I thought it was a wolf at first... had a pointy nose like a coyote... the exact coloration pretty much as wolfie's photo too...that's why I thought it was a huge, huge coyote... he ran away yipping tho. :)

do we have "grey wolves" in this area? anyone know? that's all I can think of possibly what this may have been then if everyone's saying a real coyote would top out at 50lbs max... the thing probably stood 3ft tall at it's head??.

Guest tallieho

hey didn't they transport some grey wolves from northern b.c a few years ago.I think they let them go in Yellowstone.They are free to roam,so who no's.I thing they claim that they will have a territory in excess of 100sq.mi. I used to hunt alot & never had a confrontation with any.Did help out a rancher west of Olds some years back,with a pack that was decimating his cow/calf oper.They were incredibly brazen given the crack of a rifle/shotgun.

hey didn't they transport some grey wolves from northern b.c a few years ago.I think they let them go in Yellowstone.They are free to roam,so who no's.I thing they claim that they will have a territory in excess of 100sq.mi. I used to hunt alot & never had a confrontation with any.Did help out a rancher west of Olds some years back,with a pack that was decimating his cow/calf oper.They were incredibly brazen given the crack of a rifle/shotgun.

There has never been a incident of wolf attack in North America. Ever. Wolves are noble creatures.

A New Avatar?

And look nice on shirts.........

do we have "grey wolves" in this area? anyone know? that's all I can think of possibly what this may have been then if everyone's saying a real coyote would top out at 50lbs max... the thing probably stood 3ft tall at it's head??.

You have some not far away, there is a pack that lingers around the northeast border of Waterton and into the surrounding area. Not many would venture past Leavitt I would imagine (or make it past on four legs). Theres always room for a nerdy male wolf that might be out looking for some new bitches....so to speak.

but then again keep in mind that apparently you were dillusional and were really looking at an extremely aggressive pomeranian as there are no canid hybrids out there over the 50 lb mark (insert tongue in cheek here)

Theres always room for a nerdy male wolf that might be out looking for some new bitches....so to speak.

dude... I know people say this too often... but I seriously just spewed coke zero all over my keyboard and monitor... LOLOL ... crap now I gotta clean this up... :caffeetime: