Fly Fusion Forums

Coyotes Kill Woman

Guest Sundancefisher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of coyotes in Calgary and quite a few have little fear of people. There's a pack that regularly hunts on the berm behind my place and they don't run away when I go out on the balcony to try and scare them off. They're also very organized hunters forming a wedge with the one at the top of the hill in front and each lower one a bit behind it. I carry a big stick with me when I walk my dog for this exact reason. And there were two of them that attacked a couple kids in the city about 4 years ago. I remember they were tracked and shot right under the Centre Street bridge.

I live on a golf course and there are lots of coyotes and they have ZERO fear of anything. They cruise the neibourhood streets at night and I know they pick off cats, rabbits, and heaven forbid if your Bichon Frise is out loose. They also shadow some of the dog walkers that walk the perimeter of the course, during the day.

If the City whacked a few to get a good fear back into them it would be a good thing. There is no shortage of these vermin and the middle of the city is no place for this ammount of them running around. I have no probelm with a few walking around, doing their thing, but I betcha there is over a dozen of them in this immediate area.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

have you tried a slingshot and small bbs on those dags(from the balcony)? I would hate to see them all killed off but the fear of the thumbs needs to be instilled on them.

have you tried a slingshot and small bbs on those dags(from the balcony)? I would hate to see them all killed off but the fear of the thumbs needs to be instilled on them.

If I was to do anything like that it would be a little more permanent.

"Gee dad why has that coyote been sleeping in the same spot for 2 days now?".........

My youngest was actually stalked by one as he walked on the other side of the fence of the Douglasdale Golf Course one night this summer. Thing didn't even wait until the sun went down. Had that fence not been there, I don't know what would have transpired. But my kid was sufficiently scared. I kinda think when they come out of hiding in the daytime and outright stalk a human, then there's something that needs to be done. That's a little too brazen for my liking. And don't give me the whole "we moved into their territory" game.....it's an established neighbourhood and they need to stay down by the river or be forcibly removed in whatever manner possible....they're not deer and it's just not safe.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

go down to your local transmition shop and ask for some old 8mm ball bearings! they weigh over 2g and that will leave a really good impression...or get your older sons out and when they follow you turn with a bat and take action. they have no fear because too many people take pictures or just walk away, show them that these bipeds will hurt! Id love to use an airgun but i dont think that would go over too well with the police...: )

It's not just that they have no fear, there actually people who feed them. That was the case with the pair that were shot by the police in the Stanley Park area a couple of years ago. I had a pair stalk me when I was fishing the summer before last, that too was by the Douglasdale Golf Course. I think a slingshot is a good idea, because they do at least somewhat thin the deer population, more city vermin.

My youngest was actually stalked by one as he walked on the other side of the fence of the Douglasdale Golf Course one night this summer. Thing didn't even wait until the sun went down. Had that fence not been there, I don't know what would have transpired. But my kid was sufficiently scared. I kinda think when they come out of hiding in the daytime and outright stalk a human, then there's something that needs to be done. That's a little too brazen for my liking. And don't give me the whole "we moved into their territory" game.....it's an established neighbourhood and they need to stay down by the river or be forcibly removed in whatever manner possible....they're not deer and it's just not safe.

I hope you informed Fish and Wildlife about it..that is a good enough reason for them to be relocated ..permanently. That is darn scary.

I hope you informed Fish and Wildlife about it..that is a good enough reason for them to be relocated ..permanently. That is darn scary.

Relocate a coyote?

00 buckshot relocation to doggie heaven maybe.

edit- I guess your "permanent" relocation is the same thing I am getting at...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

thats what i want to hear!!! let that little s.o.b know what thumbs are good for...lol

every year people complain about wild dogs or too many beavers yet none of these thread had ever join.......

oops

I live in Scenic Acres NW and in the early morning during the winter, you can see groups of 3 to 5 on the regular basis along Stony Trail and sometimes on a green strip near our house adjacent to shools. A likely reason is there seems to be a good population of rabbits in our area, including some beneath our neighbours back deck. For those that do not like coyote fur, come get some rabbit fur.

I got stalked in Nosehill park when I was riding a few years back just before dark. I say one in front of me and when I had a look around I was in the middle of a semi-circle of them. I saw at least 7 of them. It was one of the fastest rides I ever had out of the park, really scary. I was suprised to read about the attack in NS as I grew up there and the coyotes are scared, small and sick looking compared to the big healthy ones out here, that maybe the reason for the attack, lack of food.

I was suprised to read about the attack in NS as I grew up there and the coyotes are scared, small and sick looking compared to the big healthy ones out here, that maybe the reason for the attack, lack of food.

Coyotes out east are actually substantially larger that western coyotes. An eastern dog can weight 10-15 lbs more than one from around here.

speaking of coyotes.... I had one in my backyard just 5 minutes ago... trying to get at one of the stray cats under my porch. He met a large rock head on (if ya know what I mean)... hopefully he wont be back.

you need to send them cats to Shaughnessy for some coyote education. I went out to "haze" off a coyote just behind the fence and ended up scaring out two cats that were lying in prowl waiting for the coyote. was quite the site to see.

Coyotes out east are actually substantially larger that western coyotes. An eastern dog can weight 10-15 lbs more than one from around here.

you can get coy-dogs out here as well and I've seen 'em well into the 120 lb range.

Good to know, I had a few opportunties in NS to be around coyotes and they always appeared smaller, probably in my head, I do no for sure that the coyotes are way more skiddish, probably because all the farmers don't ask the CO to remove them, they do it themselves!