Fly Fusion Forums

Police Crack Down

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Is it just me or are the cops doing some kinda province wide crack down on speeding. Went to Edmonton yesterday...tons of cops. Even in Calgary they seem to have a heightened presence.

You know.. I drive 70,000 K a yr @ a steady 12-16 k over the posted limit when the conditions warrant it, see TEOs pretty much everywhere, don't get passed much and haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 15 yrs, WTF are these guy's speeding? I must be lucky I guess

You know.. I drive 70,000 K a yr @ a steady 12-16 k over the posted limit when the conditions warrant it, see TEOs pretty much everywhere, don't get passed much and haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 15 yrs, WTF are these guy's speeding? I must be lucky I guess

This is the problem. I drive an awful lot myself and I've surmised that you have to be actually driving a reckless speed to actually get pulled over. I have came up on radar that I never saw and done the " oh *hit here we go" passing them doing 122kmh in a 110 zone and have them not even blink. Makes you wonder. People drive at stupid speeds, I regularly estimate people to be going around 140 on hwy 2 and hwy 1.

Speed limits are kind of ridiculous in this province. So many Albertan's speed, risking not only their own lives, but the lives of others.

There's a problem when Cops don't fine people for exceeding the posted speed limit, what's the point of a law if they don't enforce it?

This is a shot in the dark but using hwy 2 as an example: why would they nab someone doing 115 (posted 110) which is nearly everyone when there is a very good chance someone will come by going 15-25 over the posted limit. People drive at ridiculous speeds on our highways and most people simply speed, so go for the "big ticket" offenders and get the most bang for your buck.

Speed limits are kind of ridiculous in this province. So many Albertan's speed, risking not only their own lives, but the lives of others.

There's a problem when Cops don't fine people for exceeding the posted speed limit, what's the point of a law if they don't enforce it?

Thats the deal man, I don't speed in school zones not much in hospital zones, where it's busy I go with the flow and when the weather the shits I slow down to conditions.. I'll reiterate, How braindead are these people to hand out 1200 tickets in 24 hrs?

I think you summed it up Taco, not to condone speeding or even try to justify it but there is a time and a place. The majority of the streets here would be 60kmh and people regularly drive70-75 going from light to light keeping pace with every one driving with the flow. It's out of hand. They nailed on average 50 people an hour, say they had 10 traps set up around the city that means each one got 5 speeders an hour. The numbers start to seem modest when you look at it that way. This is a huge problem.

Guest Sundancefisher
i set the cruise at 119 on #1 and routinely get hit with radar and no tickets so far. don't think i'll push it past that though, they have been out in force lately.

I think anything over 15 km/hr over is asking for a ticket. Sometimes you get lucky and the cop is busy finishing paper or just setting up or taking down...

On Sat I had a cop chase after me after I passed his speed trap...pulled up quickly behind me then swerved around me and pulled over the guy that had passed me before I passed the cop.

why would they nab someone doing 115 (posted 110) which is nearly everyone when there is a very good chance someone will come by going 15-25 over the posted limit.

I wouldn't stand on the side of hwy 2 to hand out a 5 kph ticket either.

I haven't seen any more sheriffs than usual out lately, but have seen an increase in the number of heavy commercial vehicles pulled over by the DOT guys. Good to see, they don't wreck very often, but when they do, man is it bad.

By far the majority of speeding tickets are issued in 'traps' set up on four or six lane roads (like McKnight and Beddington) that have 50 limits. I see them almost everyday on my way home at Beddington and Country Hills pulling over some poor schmuks who are driving the spot for the first time, or simply forgot. They sure are making the roads safe there. Tax collectors in uniform.

We had a presentation by the RCMP a few years ago, and the topic was brought up (naturally) how fast can you go on the highways before it becomes dangerous...

The answer was this - the highways are designed to be safe at 30 km over the posted speed limit, in clear dry day light conditions..

As a fairly safe unwritten rule the RCMP will not bother you if you are 15km over the limit or less.. any more then that and they have no confidence in your skill to drive, or the safety of your vehicle.. so they will stop you.. and ticket you..

I have been stopped at faster then that and given a warning, They asked why I had a class 4 lic, I used to drive ambulance and had the courses and cards to prove it .. now have only a class 5 so have to keep the foot lite on the A pedal... :goodvsevil():

BS..... i didnt read all the posts but the first ones i did and you guys were asking what speed these people must be going? and it must be crazy high. Well i got 2 tickets this year, first was 100 at the bottom of a hill in K-Country, thats 10 over the limit AT THE BOTTOM OF A HILL...... that pissed me off, but not nearly as bad as the one i got within calgary in Rocky Ridge going to my friends house. I got a $65 ticket for going, wait for it.... wait for it.... 55 in a 50 zone....... god damn female cop, i almost strangled her. End of the line thou, i WAS Speeding, guess im just unlucky thou.

Dustin

Like to see a Radar Detector detect this:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/alberta/20...328181-sun.html

Speeders beware: air patrols are back

By MICHAEL PLATT

Last Updated: 7th October 2009, 2:47am

Like ground squirrels oblivious to a swooping hawk, the only survival tactic is hoping the raptor nabs the other guy instead of you.

Survival of the lucky -- it works in the wild, and it'll soon be your best hope of avoiding a speeding ticket on major Alberta highways.

The eye in the sky is back, and it's watching your wallet.

For the first time in nearly 15 years, Alberta RCMP are taking to the air to catch speeders, using single-engine airplanes to monitor motorists from above.

If you're caught speeding, the first you'll know about it is a few kilometres up the road, where a ground-based police patrol will be waiting, ticket books and all.

"What we're looking for is catching some of those seasoned, smart speeders who are driving erratically, and they are very good at not getting caught," Cochrane RCMP Sgt. Dave Hardy told Sun Media.

Highway 1 and Highway 2 are on the list for air-patrols in the Calgary area, and other detachments throughout the province are expected to make the return to propeller-policing within a month or two.

That's after K-Division, Alberta's RCMP unit, asked detachments to determine if there are highways that would benefit from the eye-in-the-sky tactic.

Cochrane was among the most enthusiastic, having watched the highway between Calgary and Banff grow too busy for traditional police speed traps.

"I can spot many violators if I drive along the highway, but there are not a lot of safe turn-around spots for me to go and get them," said Const. Troy Savinkoff, of the Cochrane detachment.

"As soon as I go stationary, traffic slows right down, usually because people are flashing each other and warning of a speed trap ahead."

There's no warning for those scurrying down the highway, as the police plane swoops above.

For motorists not keen on sticking to the 110 km/h limit, air patrols are a serious worry -- they're difficult to notice, hard to hear, and you're never sure if they've nailed you until kilometres later.

The way the air patrols work is they watch how long a vehicle takes to travel between two lines painted across the road.

From the cockpit, an RCMP officer uses a stopwatch to determine how long it takes a suspected speeder to pass from line to line -- if the vehicle is speeding, the airborne officer radios ahead to Mounties waiting on the ground.

The advantage for police is that a number of speeders can be caught at once. As long as the officer in the plane bears witness to the correct vehicle being pulled off the road, the charge will stick.

"In a particular zone, you could monitor five vehicles and call in five vehicles all at once, all speeding," said Hardy.

The planes were only grounded as speed traps in the 1990s, after laser speed guns were introduced.

Back then, there were few ways of detecting lasers, and the extra range meant you'd been caught before you even noticed the cop.

That's before roads grew too crowded to pinpoint speeders, and too dangerous to pull drivers over.

The RCMP plane will operate in daylight hours only, for obvious reasons, and only when aircraft are available -- in other words, the air patrols will be random.

Savinkoff said it will be at least a month or two before the first plane leaves the ground, mainly because the Mounties have few members left who were trained in old-fashioned air-policing.

MICHAEL.PLATT@SUNMEDIA.CA

A good friend and neighbor who is a veteran member of the Calgary Police Service advised me that the Radar Camera's are set to activate at 13 km over the posted limited. Of course I received a nice photo of the rear end of my vehicle this week with a notation that I was doing 66 in a 50 kmh zone...$103....I am pretty sure I can see my wife in the driver's seat...lol...

The province has stepped up their enforcement on long weekends...particularly for speeders and people who are impaired and still think they can drive. Speeding is not just a problem on the Q2 ...the #1 has it's share of 120K+ drivers as well...and these are the ones that should get nailed. Some people are driving 170-180k at night on secondary roads..I don't care how good a driver you think you are..have a deer run in front of you at that speed or have another driver pull out on you...especially in a car - you are history. The fact that the Sheriffs' have handed out a gazillion traffic related tickets in the last 2 years should be an indication that there is a problem. My thought anyway.

So let me get this right, if the "LEGAL" speed limit is 100 and you are doing 115 it should be okay?

How come you can break the law and not expect to be fined for it?

If you are new to the city and you don't know the speed limits well I suggest that you look for the speed limit signs.

All you complaining about break the law, and yes speeding is breaking the law need to review what you are saying.

I guess cause it is okay to speed in some areas then it is okay for me to poison my neighbours dog, cause if you can break the law why can't I and what makes a law breakable vs what is not?

So let me get this right, if the "LEGAL" speed limit is 100 and you are doing 115 it should be okay?

How come you can break the law and not expect to be fined for it?

If you are new to the city and you don't know the speed limits well I suggest that you look for the speed limit signs.

All you complaining about break the law, and yes speeding is breaking the law need to review what you are saying.

I guess cause it is okay to speed in some areas then it is okay for me to poison my neighbours dog, cause if you can break the law why can't I and what makes a law breakable vs what is not?

Not bitching Studhoss, observing, big difference