Fly Fusion Forums

What Is A Fair Price For Flies?

So you support a business owner from one of the richest countries in the world who pays a tier, from one of poorer nations in the world a very tiny fraction of the price of the fly.

Rich guy gets richer.

Poor guy gets enough to feed his kids, and maybe buy a bike if he saves for a few years.

And you get your flies for a good price.

Good system......

You have such a way of simplifying an equation.

You must have studied math at the same school that Jack Layton did...

I tie my own Flies so they must cost me about $7.50CDN when including all the time and effort and supplies..etc...

It is what it is... either buy the cheap ones or not.. use the cheap ones and compare, them to the local ones, see which one lasts longer.. that is the point for me, how well made are the the flies..

The question may have been - what is a fair fly for the price.... I must say that I have never looked at a Kenya fly in Canadian Tire and said damn I need that fly or what a great tie..

But then again I have looked at some of the $3- 5 dollar Flies and gone WTF it is as bad as the less ones..

But and there is always a but.. I have never yet seen a local tied fly, completely suck...that is one that is tied by a competent tier...for the local area.. there are generic fly's ie an adams that is tied from overseas that are quite good..

Then again I don't look in Fly bins much any more.. gives me flash backs of tying for Doaks and others in NB..

Wage - $ 23.59

Total cost of operation - $ 39.317/hour - this includes materials, work area, employee cost, light, heat et al.

Flies produced / hour = 20

Cost/fly = $ 1.957

Cost @ retail level $2.949

Don

OK...couple slight changes...

Wage - $23.59

Costs - $39.32

Produce flys - 20

cost per - $.90 - (Can't see why it would cost more if expenses are covered as above)

Retail cost - 2.70

Fly tyer earnings per hour $36.

"Do you know what commercial tying does to your brain........" :P:D

This discussion is absolutely no different than the "raising home-grown egg" discussion.

It is about choices.

• Buy local.
  • Buy imported.
  • Make/grow yer own.
  • Do without.
If we don't like California strawberries in winter because they taste lousy then we don't buy 'em. Same with El Cheapo off-shore flies. We can "grow our own" or buy local at a higher price. (Except you can't get local strawberries in winter, eh? :P)

One has to be careful about calculating the price of "home made" and "home grown." We can "get our jollies" from growing/making our own but at what cost?

Not cheaper that's for sure. ;)

"Do you know what commercial tying does to your brain........" :P:D

This discussion is absolutely no different than the "raising home-grown egg" discussion.

It is about choices.

• Buy local.
  • Buy imported.
  • Make/grow yer own.
  • Do without.
If we don't like California strawberries in winter because they taste lousy then we don't buy 'em. Same with El Cheapo off-shore flies. We can "grow our own" or buy local at a higher price. (Except you can't get local strawberries in winter, eh? :P)

One has to be careful about calculating the price of "home made" and "home grown." We can "get our jollies" from growing/making our own but at what cost?

Not cheaper that's for sure. ;)

That's what I said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clive,

It's about choices when there is choices.

Cottage industries will start-up to satisfy the market providing that the cost of production is within the reach of the producer. However, when cheap [meaning poorly constructed/designed/inferior materials] produced items displace or destroy a preexisting industry, your only choice is the crap stuff.

And don't get me started on my rant on how many microwave ovens went south on me last year. It's impossible to buy a good one. They've been Wally Worlded out of the marketplace.

You pay for junk - you get junk & sometimes the only choice is junk.

catch ya'

Don

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i agree 100% Don, i only want to pay 1$/fly and i want quality so DIY is what i turned to. But unfortunately the market is SATURATED with crap products because people want to save a buck or two and now there is not too many good products left in the North American market economy.

Companies like GE have made some great stuff back in the day but after years of noticing people want to pay less and less they have lowered quality to get into the large volume market.

i agree 100% Don, i only want to pay 1$/fly and i want quality so DIY is what i turned to. But unfortunately the market is SATURATED with crap products because people want to save a buck or two and now there is not too many good products left in the North American market economy.

Companies like GE have made some great stuff back in the day but after years of noticing people want to pay less and less they have lowered quality to get into the large volume market.

I had a GE stove that I got at SEars and it damn near burned down my home, TWICE!!!!!!

They made me wait a month to get a replacement and then it did the same damn thing.. Got my money back and went somewhere else - LG and as they say Life is good...

So all that to say I also agree...

Yeah Ray .. we are all saying the same thing. ;)

I sorta agree with you Don, "It's about choices when there is choices." and "sometimes the only choice is junk."

There is almost always an option to buy somewhat good quality "stuff." But, too, when you buy Inglis and Maytag the prices skyrocket and sometimes it is just mediocre merchandise with fancy labeling.

If we do not buy fancy, sooner or later we won't have the choice.

Our first microwave was purchased in 1978 and it lasted about 13 years. (Ha ha. Never today!) But it also weighed more than my truck and birds actually fell out of the sky when the beast was running and emitting evil death rays. (That might explain some of my problems, eh?) But it also cost $800 in 1978 dollars or (what?) about $2,400 in today's money. Today you can get a disposable microwave for about one hunnert bucks.

Clive

Crap it is cold outside. Many records set in SW Alberta last night.

Officially it was -24°C in Waterton last nite.

The mean daily temp has been 24 degrees below the "normal mean" for the day. Brrrrrrrrrrr

IClive says: "Our first microwave was purchased in 1978 and it lasted about 13 years. (Ha ha. Never today!) But it also weighed more than my truck and birds actually fell out of the sky when the beast was running and emitting evil death rays. (That might explain some of my problems, eh?) But it also cost $800 in 1978 dollars or (what?) about $2,400 in today's money. Today you can get a disposable microwave for about one hunnert bucks."

And Don qucikly whipping out his $10.00 calculator figures that

Clive's microwave cost $800/13 years or $61.50/yr. of service.

Now a new one of junk quality costs about $100.00 and we went through 3 last year.

You bet, the cheap stuff is a real bargain.

Kinda like silk fly lines last 20>25 years with proper care and only cost $250 or $10/yr. I go through a plastic line every 1.5 year @ $50/1.5 or $33.30/yr. The plastic stuff is a real bargain.

catch ya'

Don

I think you have to compare the longevity of the fly as well as the price. I know the tree gods don't care. My experience with some of the import flies is they while esthetacly pleasing are tied very loose and as a result fall apart quickly. If you are taking off more flies because they fall apart compared to others then the cost of locally tied will be less. Let's calculate cost be cast!!!!

IClive says: "Our first microwave was purchased in 1978 and it lasted about 13 years. (Ha ha. Never today!) But it also weighed more than my truck and birds actually fell out of the sky when the beast was running and emitting evil death rays. (That might explain some of my problems, eh?) But it also cost $800 in 1978 dollars or (what?) about $2,400 in today's money. Today you can get a disposable microwave for about one hunnert bucks."

And Don qucikly whipping out his $10.00 calculator figures that

Clive's microwave cost $800/13 years or $61.50/yr. of service.

Now a new one of junk quality costs about $100.00 and we went through 3 last year.

You bet, the cheap stuff is a real bargain.

Kinda like silk fly lines last 20>25 years with proper care and only cost $250 or $10/yr. I go through a plastic line every 1.5 year @ $50/1.5 or $33.30/yr. The plastic stuff is a real bargain.

catch ya'

Don

I got my microwave 5 years ago (at the end of this month actually...) I paid $90 at London Drugs...whips out his Windows calculator....$18 a year and going strong...Should I pay a premium for Canadian made (is there any such thing?)...lets say North American made....(hummmmm...Those are gone too)...but...I could buy Asian....best from Japan and good but cheaper from Korea...up and coming from India and China... sure there will be a few, just enough as the market will bear, who will buy the best....the rest...well, if the K car and Chevette was North Americas answer to the fuel crisis of the 70's then.....gawd help us...

speaking of calculators, i bought one for 88 cents once. lasted about a week (i used it every day) before the 0 button stopped working. whipping out my NEW calculator ($2.89 and going strong) it cost 12.57 cents per day then i chucked it out. i'd say it was worth it but now it's sitting in a landfill...next to a diaper (not mine). $1 flies are harmless.

I pay for what the shop charges for it, just a fact of life and something we just have to accept. If not tie your own, raise your own birds for feathers and what not, use your own dies to change material color, etc .. then tell me if 2 to 3 $ per fly is too expensive

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

longevity of the fly is another good point. Cambodian flys last 3 fish if your lucky and the shank doesnt break off, my home flys (nymphs) last 15 fish because i make them into rocks with thread lock and crazy glue and if i can get 6 or 7 out of a dry fly then i am happy.