Fly Fusion Forums

Should A Household In Calgary Be Allowed To Have A Reasonable Number Of Chickens

Guest Sundancefisher

Back yard chickens...yes or no?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be allowed enough chickens for laying eggs

• Yes...as long as they are keep well and are quiet
    • No...chickens are for country farms only!
    • Undecided...I can cluck either way...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sundancefisher
Good stuff Clive Thank you, BUT to keep it simple, I'll give you a Monty Python reply:

NO, IT ISN'T :P:P:P

Regards Mike

Worst thing about factory farmed produce is that some products are picked to soon...like strawberries. They have not ripened enough and are often tasteless compared to our home grown strawberries.

One comment on this entire thread from a former Farmer, I'm impressed with the dirt under your fingernails reconnect with the source of the food you eat. Maybe there is hope for something sustainable.

And Double D..... If you're thinking about fryin' up your neighbour's old laying hens, you'd better consider simmerin' them for 6-8 hrs first, they may be a tad on the tough side.

Guest Sundancefisher
I like Cake!!!!!! Local or frozen import

If my neighbor has chickens and I hear one "bock" or perhaps a "bock bock bock", i'm fryin oil 24/7.

yummmm... Sarah Lee marble cake and fresh fried chicken. Why did I not marry a woman who would fetch me food on demand Pacres:el:toro

Viva la caveman

Rick

On the other hand , the future might be like Soylent Green and you might be "recycled"

Regards Mike

There is always someone to look on the dark side (not a star wars reference!). Sorry Mike, I like my fantasy land better than yours!

Oh crap .. forgot all about this. Pretty funny.

We had neighbors in Brooks who had animals .. pigeons, chickens, bunnies. The damn vermin would wander around their yard and into other yards. This was 25 and 30 years ago.

Story #1

One day a chicken pecked one of the neighbor kids (~2 years old) right above an eye. The chicken owner felt bad so killed the chicken and made a casserole with it for the parents of the pecked kid. Probably trying to avoid a law suit.

Story #2.

They had pigeons. One was particularly aggressive. It once tried to hump one of my rubber boots .. while I was wearing it. Anyway this damn bird liked to perch on one of the other neighbor's porch lights. Naturally it *hit all over the porch, so the porch owner killed the damn pigeon. Well holy cow, the pigeon owner learned of this and OMG she came unglued. She came over to my house and was crying and moaning. I pretended I knew nothing about it all and tried to act sympathetic--while busting a gut laffing inside. She asked me what I thought. I forget what I said, but she finally went away in tears.

Kinda funny she'd kill a chicken that was a nuisance, but lose it when someone whacked one of her pet pigeons.

It all was very funny. Maybe you had to be there.

Oh crap .. forgot all about this. Pretty funny.

We had neighbors in Brooks who had animals .. pigeons, chickens, bunnies. The damn vermin would wander around their yard and into other yards. This was 25 and 30 years ago.

Story #1

One day a chicken pecked one of the neighbor kids (~2 years old) right above an eye. The chicken owner felt bad so killed the chicken and made a casserole with it for the parents of the pecked kid. Probably trying to avoid a law suit.

Story #2.

They had pigeons. One was particularly aggressive. It once tried to hump one of my rubber boots .. while I was wearing it. Anyway this damn bird liked to perch on one of the other neighbor's porch lights. Naturally it *hit all over the porch, so the porch owner killed the damn pigeon. Well holy cow, the pigeon owner learned of this and OMG she came unglued. She came over to my house and was crying and moaning. I pretended I knew nothing about it all and tried to act sympathetic--while busting a gut laffing inside. She asked me what I thought. I forget what I said, but she finally went away in tears.

Kinda funny she'd kill a chicken that was a nuisance, but lose it when someone whacked one of her pet pigeons.

It all was very funny. Maybe you had to be there.

That's awesome...

Something tells me I know of whom you are speaking.. ? I remember hearing somewhere that he caught some squirrels and transplanted them to his yard. And that they didn't really stick around too well.

:P:D

"Something tells me I know of whom you are speaking."

Yes you do, it was either Peter or Geordie...can't recall. We all nearly died laffing when they offered the offending chicken as a peace offering in a casserole. Pretty bizarre. And the pigeon story was too funny. The guy who killed it was a"prominent" member of the school system.

I can't wait for free-range chickens to be wandering around "Cow Town. Stay Tuned.

• 5 months later...

Last summer after a float on the Cleawater (BC), a bud and I were sitting in his hot tub when all of a sudden one of his turkeys managed to knock over his three year old daughter - and,...well, tried to do something quite un-natural - with properly placed kick, believe me, turkeys can fly. The funniest was little Georga telling the turkey "that's what you get" as it sat cooling on the dinner table two nights later.

Same guy had 4 chickens when he lived in Calgary 5 years ago and never had a complaint from neighbours - bribed em with eggs - and I will admit the eggs taste much better than store-bought and I would rather hear the sound of chickens over the sound of gangsta-rap any day

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
Last summer after a float on the Cleawater (BC), a bud and I were sitting in his hot tub when all of a sudden one of his turkeys managed to knock over his three year old daughter - and,...well, tried to do something quite un-natural - with properly placed kick, believe me, turkeys can fly. The funniest was little Georga telling the turkey "that's what you get" as it sat cooling on the dinner table two nights later.

Same guy had 4 chickens when he lived in Calgary 5 years ago and never had a complaint from neighbours - bribed em with eggs - and I will admit the eggs taste much better than store-bought and I would rather hear the sound of chickens over the sound of gangsta-rap any day

If anyone wants to raise specialty birds used in fly tying I will be happy to baby sit them from time to time.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
"If anyone wants to raise specialty birds used in fly tying I will be happy to baby sit them from time to time."

Ha - naked pink chickens are funny !

SHHHHHH!

They were like that when I got them.

Happily I think they molted over the weekend. Honest.

On a sad note...I ran of hooks to tie flies on.