Fly Fusion Forums

What Am I Doing Wrong???

Hey guys,

I was out on the bow in the Nw this afternoon, the last day before the closure. I didn't see any fish rising, so I mostly nymphed with Sjw's, beadhead prince's, copper johns and a couple of Backswimmer patterns with no luck. I lost a couple of bottom flies due snagging bottom. I switched to streamers, tried clousers, bow river buggers, small and large black and olive leech patterns, plus a few others I can't remember....nothing...no follows, no hits etc. I had worked my way upstream to the point where I normally turn around and fish back to the truck.

This is where I met a spin fisher who was going to work his way downstream. He was very polite and asked if I minded if he fished down past me. I said sure, go ahead. I had just been fishing this water, including the section he was about to fish. His first cast, wham, he catches about an 18" brown. Ok, thats a fluke. His 2nd cast he catches an 12-14" brown. Damn, Third cast, he hooks another large fish but it throws the hook on the 3rd jump. He comments on the good fishing and asked how I did? I told him not well, wished him well and left. It was a long walk back to my truck.I am pretty frustrated at this point. The fishing up in the Nw has been pretty slow for me lately, hopefully fishing down south will help my odds.

So that is my rant, maybe I should give up on flyfishing and chuck hardware if it works so well.....lol

Does anybody tie something to imitate this?

rainbowrapala.jpg

Thanks for reading

toss streamers dude! green and white clouser will work as a imitaion.... or like u said just start chuckin gear! if u want teh easy way out get a centre pin and lob nymphs under a dink float! or crank raps! i love the challenge with teh cast itself!!!!! somedays its not the flyguys day! other days it is!!!!

Do not give up, but rise to the challenge. There are many Zonkers that imitate baitfish. You could do better than Rapala (and I am from Finland. :P). Tie your own flies, get your confidence and go out couple of times with some guys from the forum. Even good attractor flies do not move fish from 3m away. You need to find those hot spots! Also, there any ways to fish streamers, so vary your techniques and depth.

Keep on trying and you will soon hook that fish.

Tight lines!

Thanks for encouragement guys

I am not so pissed off about it today, not sure why it got to me so bad yesterday. I tried streamers yesterday with no luck, but I never have any luck with streamers, which tells me I am not choosing the right flies or not fishing them properly. I never used to catch anything on nymphs either, but did alot better this year, so maybe now I need to focus on my streamer fishing?

Sorry for the rant...

toss streamers dude! green and white clouser will work as a imitaion.... or like u said just start chuckin gear! if u want teh easy way out get a centre pin and lob nymphs under a dink float! or crank raps! i love the challenge with teh cast itself!!!!! somedays its not the flyguys day! other days it is!!!!

a small hijack of this thread...sorry!

Maxie,Maxie,Maxie....what a nasty statement coming from a friend...hey Bro..u know I center pin, and can catch tons of fish by this old method, in combination using the Czech nymph style..with either an indicator or a proper English float..it is an Art just like your method of 'spey casting', or just with the Art of 'fly casting'...so be nice my young friend or I'll put Nikita on you..th_YOyCuR3lt35oPVTy1ZeKw6puQs.gif..[who will probally cuddle up to you].

..used a certain streamer yesterday on the water which also was the last day and I thank the 'Fish God', for my thrilling moment..a over zealous 24" hooked male Brown...and all I have to say to that was..'persistence paid off, cause I'm not fluent in the Art of streamer fishing myself!...............................Wolfie

I tried streamers yesterday with no luck, but I never have any luck with streamers, which tells me I am not choosing the right flies or not fishing them properly. I never used to catch anything on nymphs either, but did alot better this year, so maybe now I need to focus on my streamer fishing?

Try going out with only a fly box full of streamers and concentrate only on fishing them - no nymphing or dries that day. Look into getting some sink tips to help keep your streamer down in the current. Vary your retrieve. Try letting the streamer swing all the way to the dangle then strip it in and try stripping during the swing. Also try stripping slow and steady, then quick and jerky. Just change things around until you find what the fish want that day. There are a couple of good threads in the Ask the Pros section on fishing streamers that you should check out. Also keep in mind that fishing streamers isn't a numbers game, but when you get takes on them it isn't like anything else...

I'm sure you know this already, but be reminded that the NW section of the Bow is now closed (Oct 1 - Nov 30)!

Fishing is better in the south anyway ;)

P

Thanks for encouragement guys

I am not so pissed off about it today, not sure why it got to me so bad yesterday. I tried streamers yesterday with no luck, but I never have any luck with streamers, which tells me I am not choosing the right flies or not fishing them properly. I never used to catch anything on nymphs either, but did alot better this year, so maybe now I need to focus on my streamer fishing?

Sorry for the rant...

Hey guys,

I was out on the bow in the Nw this afternoon, the last day before the closure......

I'm sure you know this already, but be reminded that the NW section of the Bow is now closed (Oct 1 - Nov 30)!

Fishing is better in the south anyway ;)

P

<--poke--<

I have been fishing for longer that I can remember and every day I learn something new. Best advice I can offer is read anything you can get your hands on. Learn to read the water and identify where the trout are. The dude that walked past you and caught fish probably knew where to deliver the lure and where to retrieve (or maybe he just got lucky). Also, know that every style (Nymphing vs Streamers vs Dry) has very distinct strategies and technique. The truth is fly fishing is an art and a skill that takes a long time to master. You have to enjoy just being out there because all of us have had days where you whip the water all day and gone home without seeing a fish.

I few recommendations for reading or viewing.

Streamer Fishing for Trophy Trout DVD by Kelly Galloup (anything by this guy is very good)

Nymphing by the Numbers by Kelly Galloup

Anything by Scientific Anglers DVD series.

Loads on you tube. From basic fly casting to advance.