Fly Fusion Forums

Reflecting On The Closures

So today was a pretty huge day for anglers in this province. I've seen what happens when we mix politics with fishing here, but here are a few of my thoughts on what transpired today:

Today the Provincial Government did something that hasn't happened in a VERY long time. On the advice of dedicated anglers and biologists it was agreed that a fishing closure would be introduced on a number of sensitive fisheries in Southern Alberta.
I have had the opportunity to speak with a lot of people about this today. The overarching sense is that this likely would not have happened under the previous government. The previous government took a very hands off approach to our fisheries, and often did much more harm than good.
I have my share of issues with the political dynamic in Alberta, but for me today was a really big win. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done on the fisheries file, but today proved that responsible anglers in Alberta have an ally with this government. Let's hope this is the first of many wise decision on the Alberta fisheries file.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see how effective this is considering that lack of funding to enforce the regulations. The major problem makers usually don't go out of the way to look for updates. I guess time will tell. It would have been nice if there was volunteering opportunities for anglers to help protect these sensitive waters.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how effective this is considering that lack of funding to enforce the regulations. The major problem makers usually don't go out of the way to look for updates. I guess time will tell. It would have been nice if there was volunteering opportunities for anglers to help protect these sensitive waters.

This is still a trend in the right direction. If this government is willing to listen to biologists to benefit the fisheries, maybe they will also listen to biologists that recommend more enforcement on ATVs, poachers, etc.

• Like 4

Think it's hard to say that this is due to a new government, since it's the first time it's ever happened, due to weather conditions. Is this cause of the NDP? Maybe..

I feel like its the same people under a different department name, who were getting a bit more pressure from the outside to do something, and they did. Probably needs to go a hell of a lot further then what they've done so far...

Aboslutely no doubt this came about due to a government prepared to govern. Next step for fisheries is guide qualification, limiting #'s of same and closing the door on 'foreign' guides.

I really do not think this is the next biggest issue facing our fisheries right now. I'd like to see them beef up F&W with a few more COs and specifically target irresponsible OHV use.

• Like 3

Amen. Until we have enough C.O's as many new rules or regulations can be made but without the bodies to enforce them what good do they really do. As much as I think some kind of system needs to be in place to become a "guide" i'd much rather see some bodies out there cracking down on the assholes abusing the rivers with their off road vehicles. We all seen the big poaching bust a few weeks ago, imagine how many more busts there would be if when you called R.A.P they actually had someone close by to send to check things out

• Like 3

Glad to see the closures (to protect the resource long term) but at the same time it's probably going result in a lot of pressure on the open areas. As people have pointed out there are a lot of rivers & streams that are low and what water is there is too warm - hard to believe that the Bow would be warmer than the small central AB streams. If gov't is going to do it close almost everywhere from the far south to as far north as is required. But I suppose you have to start somewhere.

• Like 1

Aboslutely no doubt this came about due to a government prepared to govern. Next step for fisheries is guide qualification, limiting #'s of same and closing the door on 'foreign' guides.

A government prepared to govern, but hasn't tabled a comprehensive budget yet?? I think I'd disagree with you there...

You may be able to credit the NDP with this insofar as their ministers have absolutely no previous experience and thus the biologists, etc mentioned are able to influence the decision making more.

Regardless, I think almost everyone agrees the closures are a positive step in the name of conservation/protection.

I think this was more of a common sense move but as we know its not so common...regardless of Party

• Like 1

Well, I see very little progress with the water management issues on the Bow river. Anglers are not the ones responsible for the low flow rates. In my opinion, the responsibility rests with Governments who regulate and sell our water too water intensive, commercial interests, and it seems, without due consideration of the environmental consequences and the city who have not enacted any type of water restrictions. The SRD Biologists are sounding the alarm and the government decides banning fisherman is a solution?

Unlike most other streams on the list of fishing closures, our flow rate problems on the Bow are often greatly influenced/created by governments/industry.

Maybe we need to try and convince the provincial government to order a temporary, controlled release of water from Ghost Reservoir to assure adequate flows for a healthy fishery? If we use Ghost for flood mitigation, why not drought mitigation as well? Seems pretty simple to me. I think that's the discussion we need to be having, solutions to maintain adequate/stable flows, especially during a drought. Time for the city and the province to step up to the discussion and set some guidelines, with, an action plan.

• Like 8

Well, I see very little progress with the water management issues on the Bow river. Anglers are not the ones responsible for the low flow rates. In my opinion, the responsibility rests with Governments who regulate and sell our water too water intensive, commercial interests, and it seems, without due consideration of the environmental consequences and the city who have not enacted any type of water restrictions. The SRD Biologists are sounding the alarm and the government decides banning fisherman is a solution?

Unlike most other streams on the list of fishing closures, our flow rate problems on the Bow are often greatly influenced/created by governments/industry.

Maybe we need to try and convince the provincial government to order a temporary controlled release of water from Ghost Reservoir to assure adequate flows for a healthy fishery? If we use Ghost for flood mitigation, why not drought mitigation as well. Seems pretty simple to me. I think that's the discussion we need to be having, solutions to maintain adequate/stable flows, especially during a drought. Time for the city and the province to step up to the discussion and set some guidelines with, an action plan.

That is a great point Toolman. While we are at it, I'd like to throw out the idea of putting restrictions for water flow change to be a certain percentage of the flow rate per hour (something like 10-20% perhaps?). This would hopefully alleviate those sharp spikes or drops in water flow we tend to see on the Bow River. I do not have any knowledge of how the dams work, but there must be some way to gradually lower the water level, rather than drop it significantly for a couple hours then pop it right back up.

• Like 1

"Maybe we need to try and convince the provincial government to order a temporary, controlled release of water from Ghost Reservoir to assure adequate flows for a healthy fishery? If we use Ghost for flood mitigation, why not drought mitigation as well? Seems pretty simple to me. I think that's the discussion we need to be having, solutions to maintain adequate/stable flows, especially during a drought. Time for the city and the province to step up to the discussion and set some guidelines, with, an action plan."

Not Maybe! We do need to convince the province and more importantly the profit driven company administrators to agree to hear eco-friendly initiatives=healthy rivers.

I think there may be an opportunity to press for an action plan. In July 2015, the agreement between the Government and dam operators expired. The Gov scribes are currently reviewing the expired operational agreement and will get back to us soon… so time to start bending some ears perhaps. Find your closest Gov rep and try to speak to fish friendly flows…might be a starting point.

Unfortunately, this year Ghost Rez was dumped during run-off (6m) and the resulting refill has had a major influence on late July/Aug tailwater conditions. If anyone has a link to recent Ghost Reservoir data to share it would be appreciated. Curious about the last bump in city flows. DO

• Like 1

Call me crazy,but I'm guessing the govt places a far higher priority on taking precautions to avoid another multi billion dollar disastrous flood,and keeping a city of 1.2 million supplied with water and electricity then it does to catering to a relative handful of trout fisherman or the trout that live in the tailwaters.

At the end of the day,the Bow will be an ankle deep trickle long before they'll ever put the needs and wants of trout and anglers ahead of the needs of the city.

• Like 1

Ok, Crazy! I'm watching multi million dollar flood mitigation projects on going. Bow thru the city is starting to look like an aqua duct of riprap. I agree, we very much represent the minority generally, but we make up the majority of recreational users of the river. And yes there are more important considerations. But I have to disagree with the notion that the Bow will be an ankle deep trickle at any juncture. I don't think anyone of us feels the need to push an agenda ahead of general allocations. All I'm suggesting is if it is the case that these historic closures are a result of regime change, all the more reason to make some effort to preserve this incredible watershed and the inhabitants there in. Ya that's all...

The issue is the health of the river ecology. If the flows are so low that the fishery is at such a risk that we have to close it to c&r fisherman, then there certainly is an urgent need to correct this mismanagement of our water and intolerable threat to the aquatic life of the river. A river with a world class fishery at that.

Is the government not listening to it's own Biologists?

Maybe that's a perspective that needs to be included in the conversation going on in the media these days.

• Like 1

Curious what water there is to give? Transalta is pretty well running on water in=water out as they don't have much water upstream (don't think that Transalta has not been engaged by the guiding community).

Don't forget that they need to hold water back so calgary can power their lights (and have drinking water..) for all of the winter as well... It's a shitty situation, but I'm pretty sure we'd be in the same spot with or without the dams in place, if not a lot worse...

Also, to confirm, your worried about water levels for fish survival.. Or you just want to be able to go fishing again? Seems a lot of that is happening and people are forgetting that it should be for the fish first..

• Like 1