Fly Fusion Forums

New To Calgary

Hi Everyone,

I have recently relocated to Calgary and was hoping that someone could share some

kindly advice on some good spots to access & flyfish the Bow.

I've walked over the bridges in downtown Calgary and that area looks difficult to walk and

wade.

If anyone can suggest an area that is accessible and has a good amount of river which can be

fished from the bank, that would be great.

Also, being new to town If anyone would like to join me for a fish, that would be great too.

Cheers

Sean

I remember how crappy my first few trips were, so here's my two cents

-I'd start with a big SJ and size 16 nymph with a little flash. Nymphing has always been the most productive for me.

-Get deep, the SJ will help

-Be methodical. Lots of fish hold very close to shore, many guys wade right through where the fish are.

-You'd be suprised how many fish hold in fast riffles on the bow. If you can find a riffle where the bottom looks like corduroy or you can see bathtub sized depressions, give them a go. If you are walk and wade these can be great since the drifters often leave them alone. Standing waves are a tip-off that the bottom has become rippled, potholes often have slick water right over top with a wedge wave behind.

Then all the standard fly fishing stuff, seams and whatnot. But my fishing on the Bow changed alot when I started looking for and targeting rough ground in faster water. Moreso for the rainbows than browns.

Rob

Welcome to Calgary Sean.

What part of town do you live in? If you have transportation, there are plenty of great access points all through the city, and even more in the south side of the city. Google Maps using the Satellite imagery is a fantastic resource in scouting areas to go. It had helped me a great deal in the past and I still use it today to scout for new access points. The downside to easy access, is that is where you find the most anglers. Easier to access, the more likely you are to find others. Look for places that are a bit of a hike to get to if you want solitude. There are TONS of places to fish both in and around the city. Places like, South Fish Creek you'll find plenty of areas to park with easy access to the river. Like the boat launch or Bankside are two easy places to get to and find fish.

Like echinopora said, look for faster water with riffles, tail outs and deep pockets. There are fish to be had, just be patient. Oh, and if you have the means and the time, a course called Listening to the Bow by Jim McLennan, is a great starter for this river.

I remember how crappy my first few trips were, so here's my two cents

-I'd start with a big SJ and size 16 nymph with a little flash. Nymphing has always been the most productive for me.

-Get deep, the SJ will help

-Be methodical. Lots of fish hold very close to shore, many guys wade right through where the fish are.

-You'd be suprised how many fish hold in fast riffles on the bow. If you can find a riffle where the bottom looks like corduroy or you can see bathtub sized depressions, give them a go. If you are walk and wade these can be great since the drifters often leave them alone. Standing waves are a tip-off that the bottom has become rippled, potholes often have slick water right over top with a wedge wave behind.

Then all the standard fly fishing stuff, seams and whatnot. But my fishing on the Bow changed alot when I started looking for and targeting rough ground in faster water. Moreso for the rainbows than browns.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice.

In the rivers I fish back in Australia (where I'm from), the fish rarely hold in the really fast water.

I was standing on the bridge at Prince's Island park trying to spot fish right against the edge when I found

a fish rising in some really fast water. I suspect the bottom must have been rippled like you suggest.

If I didnt see the fish rise, I wouldnt have given the area a second look as the water seemed way too fast to me.

Needless to say, I won't automatically dismiss the faster water like I normally would have.

How deep do you suggest between the indicator and the San Juan?

thanks

Sean

right now good bet is to head out ninja early and tie on a big foam stonefly imitation - any fly shop around here will have them, though I'd bet the supplies are running low. stalk up banks with a slow flow and deep water and you will get some vicious takes. when I mean early though, I mean 4am.

it'll be good for another week or so, maybe more, on the golden stonefly hatch. best action 4am till 9 or so, sometimes later. overcast days action was all day, like yesterday.

for nymphing look for choppy water riffles against the main hard river current. The waves will look like little diamond shapes. That's seriously trouty water when u find it.

Enjoy the Bow!

I should have added listen to hawgstoppah.

Funny that you are from Oz as that's where I'm living right now. I've retired my flyrod for now and have been spending most of my time here tossing poppers for Giant Trevally, tailor and Australia Salmon. I fell in love the first time a Trevally blew up on a 110mm popper. There's heaps of economy size Sambo's around here right now, 3kg+. I've managed some Flathead and Bream on the fly, but Cunjevoi and oysters don't mix well with expensive flyline.

I'll be in Calgary for a wedding at the end of August if someone hasn't shown you around by then.

Rob

How deep is the run you are fishing? General rule is 1.5x's the depth of the water. "Normally" my swivel is at 7.5' and my 1st fly - usually a wire SJW (on a 2 - 3 fl rig) is at 9', then next fly is 1.5', etc. then I can adjust my indi accordingly...

P

How deep do you suggest between the indicator and the San Juan?

right now good bet is to head out ninja early and tie on a big foam stonefly imitation - any fly shop around here will have them, though I'd bet the supplies are running low. stalk up banks with a slow flow and deep water and you will get some vicious takes. when I mean early though, I mean 4am.

Thanks Hawgstoppah, I'm hoping to get out tomorow and do some scouting so I know where i'm walking at 4am.

I'm still looking for work in Calgary, so im free mid week to do the "ninja early" thing!

thanks for the tip! can't wait

Welcome to Calgary Sean.

There are TONS of places to fish both in and around the city. Places like, South Fish Creek you'll find plenty of areas to park with easy access to the river. Like the boat launch or Bankside are two easy places to get to and find fish.

Listening to the Bow by Jim McLennan

Hi FNG,

Yes, I live in the SW and I have a car.

I found a map of Fish Creek Provincial Park so finally found where the Bankside access is.

Im hoping to give it a go tomorrow.

I notice that the river splits above bankside around "Popular Island"

Do you recommend walking upstream or downstream from the car park?

or is it better to try and access the river from the other side

thanks for all your help and advice.

cheers

Sean

Thanks Guys

I got my first Bow river brown today near Carburn park!

It was a really nice fish, if i had to guess i'd say more than 3lb.

(i'll have to get myself a weigh net)

What a way to start!

I scouted the river around mid-day, but i didn't see and activity. (fish or hatches)

The Bow was high and the clarity had dropped compared with last week.

When I went back at night I found a few fish rising, but they were sporadic.

Minimum 3 - 5 minutes between rises.

Maybe someone can explain what was going on entamology wise???

I started with a sz16 dun, I then switched to a small yellow sally. But no luck.

There were some decent fish rising and it sounded like there were taking

something more substantial off the surface as the rises were heavy and quite aggressive.

I switched up to a sz12-14 green drake with a heavy hackle, but still had no luck.

By this stage it was completely dark.

I suspected there may be some golden stone action going on, i didnt have any so I tied on

a salmon fly and was luckly enough to get one fish who slammed the fly and gave me a decent

fight.

Did anyone fish tonight? (sun)

If so, was it just dumb luck that I got a fish on a salmon fly, or were the fish actually taking

something that big??

We dont get any "noteworthy" stonefly fishing in Australia, so I have to get familiar with these bugs!

cheers

Sean

If so, was it just dumb luck that I got a fish on a salmon fly, or were the fish actually taking

something that big??

We dont get any "noteworthy" stonefly fishing in Australia, so I have to get familiar with these bugs!

cheers

Sean

No it wasn't dumb luck, the fish are really keyed into the stones right now

In the rivers I fish back in Australia (where I'm from), the fish rarely hold in the really fast water.

I know a guy (who is probably reading this!) who went to NZ a couple of years ago. He was fishing a popular river, and there were several people fishing a slow deep section. Not seeing any room to fish, he noticed a fast riffle section that nobody was fishing. Walked up there and proceeded to catch some nice rainbows!

Not saying he could have done that in Australia, but it is telling that nobody was fishing the fast water in NZ even though there were obviously fish there. My bet is techniques you will learn here will serve you well when you get back home. And I also strongly suspect the converse is true. You probably have techniques you learned in Australia that nobody here practices. Don't be afraid to try them here. A trout is a trout. If it worked on trout in Australia, it will likely work on them here too!

Thanks Guys

I got my first Bow river brown today near Carburn park!

It was a really nice fish, if i had to guess i'd say more than 3lb.

(i'll have to get myself a weigh net)

What a way to start!

I scouted the river around mid-day, but i didn't see and activity. (fish or hatches)

The Bow was high and the clarity had dropped compared with last week.

When I went back at night I found a few fish rising, but they were sporadic.

Minimum 3 - 5 minutes between rises.

Maybe someone can explain what was going on entamology wise???

I started with a sz16 dun, I then switched to a small yellow sally. But no luck.

There were some decent fish rising and it sounded like there were taking

something more substantial off the surface as the rises were heavy and quite aggressive.

I switched up to a sz12-14 green drake with a heavy hackle, but still had no luck.

By this stage it was completely dark.

I suspected there may be some golden stone action going on, i didnt have any so I tied on

a salmon fly and was luckly enough to get one fish who slammed the fly and gave me a decent

fight.

something that big??

cheers

Sean

Congrats on the fish! hope theres many more to come.

what you said about them taking "substantial" bugs off the surface was probably stoneflys try a big foam stonefly pattern (there are some good ones at wholesale sports) don't worry if the rises aren't constant I've caught fish this way when there haven't been any risers at all. a couple nights ago there were a bunch of caddis hatching so it might be worthwhile to keep that in mind to.

tight lines

Hey Sean,

For what its worth, they'll be a fishing map of the Lower Bow River coming out this Friday that may help give you an idea of some places to hit up. In addition to fishing spots, it also has parking locations, launch locations, walking paths, major roads, hatch charts, river flow rates, suggested flies, etc. Its actually a 4" x 6" waterproof mapbook, and not a fold out map. I donated a few copies to the Streamwatch Auction and some of the local fly shops (also sponsors of the board) will be carrying it. If you can't make it into one of the shops, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Sean

p.s. For all those on the board, don't worry, I didn't give away any "secret locations", except for Frenchman's Creek that is:)