Fly Fusion Forums

(sh) It Continues!

I fully realize that I will catch some *hit (pun intended) for even posting this, but as an "idealist” you can never let that stop you from speaking your mind...

So we floated the Ghost to Cochrane section of the Bow yesterday and the recreation traffic on the water was unbelievable (jet boat owners have zero courtesy for other less maneuverable water craft on this section), but that is not the rant for this particular post…

Some are familiar with this section and know that there is an island located just below the Wildcat gas plant that is set up for camping (we stopped here for lunch)… At this point I will say that I apologize for not taking photos… What is with some people! Much of the island is covered with peoples *hit and toilet paper! It was absolutely disgusting (if I wanted to camp there in the future, I certainly don't now!)! Add to the fact that on this island, you are allowed to have fires, so if people aren’t comfortable packing out their used TP, they could burn it. People (not directed at anyone in particular), if you show this kind of irresponsibility and disrespect (and if you are going to give me grief for expressing my disgust), then you have no reason being in the outdoors or to consider yourself an outdoors enthusiast!! It is not that difficult to dig a hole and pack out your TP (it's not that gross).The book “How to *hit in the Woods” needs to be made a part of our elementary school curriculum!!

Here’s a link for any of you that are interested:

http://books.google.com/books?id=xTA72GxFj...;q=&f=false

Peter

P.S. Yeah, yeah, Taco, I should relax, chill out, blah, blah, blah!

No I didn't (on other trips, I actually have - this time WAY too much!)! Would you have?! I guess'in, probably not!

You and I (and anyone else, if they wanted to join us), can go back any time to clean it up (I'll even bring the rubber gloves and garbage bags)!! Maybe we can even make some signs and we can post those too!!

So did you clean the mess up?

How 'bout it Dune (Duane, works for TA) do you think you can swing it with the higher ups at TA...

Unfortuantely, I think it's a short term solution and doesn't solve the inherant problem, lack of education and irresponsibility...

P

Call TransAlta and get the dam opened full tilt for an hour. That should wash it away.

Really you should call it in for sure and maybe if you raise a big enough stink they will install some back country outhouses.

Chris,

Yeah that's it...

Does anyone know if it would be SRD, Forestry, AB Parks and recreation areas that would look after this? might be a little easier to go through the department that over sees the area...

P

Is this the Island? http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=51.214371,-11...009624&z=17

If it is it looks like it might be high enough not to flood outright and could hold some back country outhouses.

MLA Janis Tarchuk

MP Blake Richards

Chris,

Yeah that's it...

Does anyone know if it would be SRD, Forestry, AB Parks and recreation areas that would look after this? might be a little easier to go through the department that over sees the area...

P

You could start here http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/recreation/default.aspx just click the contact botton and go from there. I have learned that with one email they will keep on forwarding it until they hit the right person so it is worth a shot.

Also note the link near the bottom for the job as a Guardian ( kinda cool )

Yeah I just sent an e-mail to "AB Tourism, Parks and Recreation" and CC'd the Minister...

I will let you know if I hear anything back...

P

You could start here http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/recreation/default.aspx just click the contact botton and go from there. I have learned that with one email they will keep on forwarding it until they hit the right person so it is worth a shot.

Also note the link near the bottom for the job as a Guardian ( kinda cool )

Chris,

Yeah that's it...

P

Look after this? Do you think they will dispatch a crew to clean it up?

Probably not, but at least it's on record...

Sure, I'll get right on it, next time I float that section! You coming with?! Andy, next time you go fish the banks of the Bow, make sure you spend the whole day cleaning up after others (if that at all pisses you off, I know I try to do my part). P.S., Expect to be there all day...

P

Look after this? Do you think they will dispatch a crew to clean it up?

Little different situation there Uberpeter No?

Too bad it wasn't cost effective to do a dna trace and dump it back on the offenders lawns. Did that with 4 bags of garbage some pig left behind, nice part of Kalgree too

Taco,

Yes and no...

Central theme of both posts reflects, stupid people and blatant disregard for the environment (and for the record, I'm not, nor did ever call Acct421 - stupid [even though they got themselves in a stupid situation and made choices that weren't so smart), my reference was towards the original people that left all that crap up at Fortress). Unfortunately, anywhere that there is a "camp site", random or otherwise, whether up at Fortress Lake or this island, human waste is going to be a potential problem, even more so if there isn't a proper facility to deal with it, or people that don't know how to deal with it in the appropriate manner...

P

Little different situation there Uberpeter No?

Too bad it wasn't cost effective to do a dna trace and dump it back on the offenders lawns. Did that with 4 bags of garbage some pig left behind, nice part of Kalgree too

So this is the reply I just received fro AB Tourism, Parks and Recreation. Whether they actually send in a crew to investigate, who knows?! At least I tried to do something (short of cleaning it up myself) and it's on record...

P

Dear Mr. ÜberFly,

Thank you for contacting Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation and for bringing this situation to our attention.

Our Parks division will be investigating your complaint in partnership with Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. We hope to conduct a site visit in the near future to determine exactly which lands have been affected, who is responsible for the area, and what can be done. We hope to provide you with an update on this issue soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns with us. Your input will help us create better experiences for all visitors.

Best regards,

Erin Larson

Public Affairs Officer

Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

Uber if you really want something to happen you need to follow up with eric larsen every two weeks and then on week four contact the cochrane newspaper ask a reporter to do a story. Then e-mail eric larsen let him know your trying to organize a news story on the issue and if he would be willing to do an interveiw. Trust me, when it comes to this stuff the skweaky wheel gets the grease.

Great suggestions!

P

Uber if you really want something to happen you need to follow up with eric larsen every two weeks and then on week four contact the cochrane newspaper ask a reporter to do a story. Then e-mail eric larsen let him know your trying to organize a news story on the issue and if he would be willing to do an interveiw. Trust me, when it comes to this stuff the skweaky wheel gets the grease.