Fly Fusion Forums

The Bulldog

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

here is my tie of the bulldog used on Sport fishing on the fly. I had an original copy of the fly that was given to me by a certain someone but i ended up losing it in a tussle with a maligne lake rainbow.

P8230094.jpg

Size 6 streamer hook

burnt orange marabou tail

olive grizzly hackle

6/0 black thread

thin copper wire

Olive crystal chenille

Hope you like it!

Jeremie

Guest Jeremie

It was on the bench early august i believe but i got one from someone in a fly shop in Kamloops that had a dozen of them and they where given to him by don freschi.

Guest Jeremie

Also the video that i saw early this month was a bit different because the hackly wasn't so thick, which was the same with the fly that i received from a gentleman through don.

here is my tie of the bulldog used on Sport fishing on the fly. I have an original copy of the fly that was given to me by a certain someone but i ended up losing it in a tussle with a maligne lake rainbow.

P8230094.jpg

Size 6 streamer hook

burnt orange marabou tail

olive grizzly hackle

6/0 black thread

thin copper wire

Olive crystal chenille

Hope you like it!

Jeremie

New Bulldog fly called the Pitbull

From the original tyer (John K on the Flybc.ca forum) and he had a photo that went with it

Recipe:

Hook: Diachii 1270 #10/ Tiemco 200R #10

Tail: Burnt orange marabou, sparse, length of hookshank

Body: 40% rabbit, 40% Icedub, 20% sealfur

Hackle: #2 Grade Metz Microbarbs dyed olive grizzly

Bead: (Fusion Beads) #8 Crimson Red Silverlined

post-1001-1251269729.jpg

The guy can tie. Brent use to (still think he does) tie commercially and knocks out thousands of flies a year on that thing... and has been doing it since I first met him over 10 years ago.

Good fly and a buddy of his (Dale Freschi) loves it...was actually tied for him. It's really just a wooley bugger in different colours, but if you've fished with Dale, he's definately a wooley bugger guy.

Brent also has a video of stillwater patterns out there. Never seen it, but it's on my list to buy when I see it again.

The guy can tie. Brent use to (still think he does) tie commercially and knocks out thousands of flies a year on that thing... and has been doing it since I first met him over 10 years ago.

Good fly and a buddy of his (Dale Freschi) loves it...was actually tied for him. It's really just a wooley bugger in different colours, but if you've fished with Dale, he's definately a wooley bugger guy.

Brent also has a video of stillwater patterns out there. Never seen it, but it's on my list to buy when I see it again.

What is Brent's last name..do you know it?..........Wolfie

Brent Schlenker...based out of Medicine Hat.

[PDF]

DVFF Video Library Jan 2009.xlsx

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View

Tying & Fishing Brent's Top 10 Lake Flies. Schlenker, Freschi. FT. 106. DVD. Caddis & Stillwater Patterns. Stalcup, Shane. Category ...

www.diablovalleyflyfish.org/DVFF_Library_Inventory.pdf - Similar..................Is this the one you want?.............Wolfie

Thats i nice looking pattern, BUT i still like mine better :devil:

he he yeah they are all good versions of the bugger pattern and it likely matters more how you present than the pretty colours...

I tie something very similar to that which I have been slaying with thm on the bow as of late, the only thing I do a bit diffrent is I trim my hackle a bit shorter and I do use lead wrap but it is underneith my dressing. I also use diffrent colors.

I am working on a little thing right now that shows how I tie these and will be up on my facebook for all my friend to see.

Guest Jeremie
I tie something very similar to that which I have been slaying with thm on the bow as of late, the only thing I do a bit diffrent is I trim my hackle a bit shorter and I do use lead wrap but it is underneith my dressing. I also use diffrent colors.

I am working on a little thing right now that shows how I tie these and will be up on my facebook for all my friend to see.

Im guessing this would be a joke but wouldn't that be a plain old kick ass wooley bugger? We hooked in 6 fish in maligne with this fly all over 20" in 15 minutes. Going to try them for cutts tonight and tomorrow!

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone has heard of this fly and if so ..doesn't this 'bulldog' look like the "pumpkinhead" fly which was created a few years back by a Canadian tier, who now lives in North Alberta?

..the bulldog uses two hackles..one burnt orange, other dark olive..where as the Pumpkin Head only had but one..how peddy is this sport coming to..

a pic of the "pumpkinhead fly"...

in63xi.jpg

..................................Wolfie

Actully think it's very different from the Pumpkin head that John ties. This fly was created by Brent Schlenker for Dale Freschi. It's actually just a woolley bugger, but if you know Dale (nickname Bulldog) and his habit of always fishing wooley buggers, you'll get where this fly came from.

Actully think it's very different from the Pumpkin head that John ties. This fly was created by Brent Schlenker for Dale Freschi. It's actually just a woolley bugger, but if you know Dale (nickname Bulldog) and his habit of always fishing wooley buggers, you'll get where this fly came from.

Figured it was time I chimed in. Wolfie brought this thread to my attention on another site. Didn't realize I haven't visited this site since Mar/09 but I'll have to visit more regularly as I see a lot of friends on this site.

Bloom, correct you are. The Pumpkinhead and Bulldog are definitely two completely different patterns with mild similarities. I designed the p/head after becoming a fan of Denny Rickards and his stillwater nymph. Though an attractor pattern the intention was to simulate the size of damsels and oversized gammarus shrimp which explains tying the pattern on a size 12 (3xl) as the original was but now it is tied on a size 10 (2xl) to gain the benefit of more hook gap as well as stronger wire.

I believe Brent's Bulldog is tied on a size 6 (3xl) and would probably be more suited to imitating dragons and larger leeches, possibly abstract baitfish??

In my opinion the attraction to both patterns is the dyed grizzly hackle as I've tried different beads and bodies but always go back to the dyed orange hackle.