Fly Fusion Forums

The Bulldog

Guest FoamStoner

Figured it was time I chimed in. Wolfie brought this thread to my attention on another site. Didn't realize I haven't visited this site since Mar/09 but I'll have to visit more regularly as I see a lot of friends on this site.

Bloom, correct you are. The Pumpkinhead and Bulldog are definitely two completely different patterns with mild similarities. I designed the p/head after becoming a fan of Denny Rickards and his stillwater nymph. Though an attractor pattern the intention was to simulate the size of damsels and oversized gammarus shrimp which explains tying the pattern on a size 12 (3xl) as the original was but now it is tied on a size 10 (2xl) to gain the benefit of more hook gap as well as stronger wire.

I believe Brent's Bulldog is tied on a size 6 (3xl) and would probably be more suited to imitating dragons and larger leeches, possibly abstract baitfish??

In my opinion the attraction to both patterns is the dyed grizzly hackle as I've tried different beads and bodies but always go back to the dyed orange hackle.

John, your pattern isn't actually very far off of one I use

blooms%20leech.JPG

Not the best pic, but it's also the combination of, or adapting existing patterns. Can't think of any 'new' pattern out there that couldn't be called similar to another. I use to tie mine with a red bead and full hackle all the way through years back (a lot like yours), but I found that the glass bead broke too often and I like the slimmer profile. I call the fly a 'leech' but I'm thinking they take it just as often as a damsel.

Hook size 12 TMC 200R

Tail black marabou

Weight .20 front third

Body Green ice dub

Rib Fine silver wire

Hackle webby grizzley died olive green

Head large red head made from thread.

Had a few variations, but haven't changed this one for 3 or 4 years now. Thinking of replacing the hackle with some marabou spun around to make a collar (cut short to similar length as hackle)

Like your fly...like slim profile and the suggestiveness of many food items.

Shouldn't you BC guys be paying some sort of daily fee to hang around here? :angel:smail:

shouldn't ppl like you have more respect for other ppl who are coming in here or has that been the norm now for a long time..[from what I have seen] , but first you should get your facts straight on who are still living the BC opposed to who are living in Alberta...Wolfie