Fly Fusion Forums

Great Experience With Maui Jim

So...I dropped my Maui Jims a couple of weeks ago at the 22x boat launch right as we're to get on the water. Figures. Took the corner of the lense and the right arm off. Talked to their customer service department and they told me to send them to the Mississauga office with an explanation of what happened, where/when I purchased them, no receipt required, and my contact info. Today, via UPS, I had delivered to me a brand new pair, no charges, no questions asked.

To say that I'm very pleased by this experience is an understatement. In this day and age, this kind of product support and customer service is unheard of. I paid over $200 for these glasses and used them only for fishing - they're stellar. And I don't have a single regret about the $$ spent for them now. I'll continue to buy Maui Jims from now on - I like a company that stands by their word and their product.

Oh...and yes I'm going to purchase a lanyard ;)

Good to know!

Thanks Lynn!!

P

So...I dropped my Maui Jims a couple of weeks ago at the 22x boat launch right as we're to get on the water. Figures. Took the corner of the lense and the right arm off. Talked to their customer service department and they told me to send them to the Mississauga office with an explanation of what happened, where/when I purchased them, no receipt required, and my contact info. Today, via UPS, I had delivered to me a brand new pair, no charges, no questions asked.

To say that I'm very pleased by this experience is an understatement. In this day and age, this kind of product support and customer service is unheard of. I paid over $200 for these glasses and used them only for fishing - they're stellar. And I don't have a single regret about the $$ spent for them now. I'll continue to buy Maui Jims from now on - I like a company that stands by their word and their product.

i had three pairs of there titanium sunglasses, all three broke in the middle on the nose , they snapped in half when putting the on. the last time it happend i lost half of the glasses , they wanted me to pay for a new lense and arm. my girl friend has some of the plastic sport frame and while putting them on the arm snapped. they fixed these for free as they should . while speaking with customer service they told me that they have alot of problems with the arms and noses becuase there no hinge for the arm. after these problems i tryed a differnt company with much better results. costa del mar and smith optics glasses are a million times better and are made for sight fishing, while the muai jim glasses are for the beach.

if you want reel sun glasses to fish with i would go with costa del mar or smith optics.

my 2 cents

I concur, as I have had great customer service with a broken pair of Smiths after a Mtb'ing crash where I broke the frames. Face required 4 sutures but frames were replaced for free on the spot at the place of purchase!!

P

i had three pairs of there titanium sunglasses, all three broke in the middle on the nose , they snapped in half when putting the on. the last time it happend i lost half of the glasses , they wanted me to pay for a new lense and arm. my girl friend has some of the plastic sport frame and while putting them on the arm snapped. they fixed these for free as they should . while speaking with customer service they told me that they have alot of problems with the arms and noses becuase there no hinge for the arm. after these problems i tryed a differnt company with much better results. costa del mar and smith optics glasses are a million times better and are made for sight fishing, while the muai jim glasses are for the beach.

if you want reel sun glasses to fish with i would go with costa del mar or smith optics.

my 2 cents

Had a prescription pair for just over a year. Loved them and never had to deal with customer service as I never had a problem. Until I lost them.

If I can ever convince myself to fork over the big bucks for another pair, I'll get Maui Jims.

Rick,

Your health benefits plan might cover them since they'd have Rx lenses!!

P

P.S. Then get a lanyard like Lynn found out! <--poke--<

Had a prescription pair for just over a year. Loved them and never had to deal with customer service as I never had a problem. Until I lost them.

If I can ever convince myself to fork over the big bucks for another pair, I'll get Maui Jims.

maui jim customer service was great to replace the first pair, they sent them back within 3 weeks. then the second pair broke while in mexico on the first day , i loved these glasses so i went to mall and got some more, i should of just some cheap ones but we were going marlin fishing and i thought i needed them. a month later exact same thing when camping and i lost the one half , so i send in 1-1/2 pairs to the repair office in ontario. a week later i get a call from them and they want me to pay $ 184.00 for parts , i spoke witha repair shop manager, i demaded that they fix my glasses for free becuase iam a loyal customer. she told me that every thing would get sorted out on their end and give me a call back. couple weeks later i got a parcel from them and was very happy , when i opened it there was 1-1/2 pairs of broken glasses in a new case. MUTHA F@#K#R#.

post-2447-1250790371.jpg

since then i written 3 letters with no results.

Maybe you should try again to return them, but return them under another name/address (as your name/address might be flagged)...

P

maui jim customer service was great to replace the first pair, they sent them back within 3 weeks. then the second pair broke while in mexico on the first day , i loved these glasses so i went to mall and got some more, i should of just some cheap ones but we were going marlin fishing and i thought i needed them. a month later exact same thing when camping and i lost the one half , so i send in 1-1/2 pairs to the repair office in ontario. a week later i get a call from them and they want me to pay $ 184.00 for parts , i spoke witha repair shop manager, i demaded that they fix my glasses for free becuase iam a loyal customer. she told me that every thing would get sorted out on their end and give me a call back. couple weeks later i got a parcel from them and was very happy , when i opened it there was 1-1/2 pairs of broken glasses in a new case. MUTHA F@#K#R#.

post-2447-1250790371.jpg

post-2447-1250790371.jpg

Can you retake picture with credit card turned over please.

Wow, that's beyond insulting. Talk about a slap in the face. After reading the original post in this thread I was starting to think I'd check out a pair of Maui Jims if I needed to replace my sunglasses. After reading this post there's no way I will. Think I'll stick with my Oakleys.

I'd send that box right back to them.....it would have something other than the sunglasses in it though.

I've hyped them before, but I'll never buy anything other that Smith. Shades or goggles. My last 'broken' pair went back in a ziploc bag (all 20 some pieces) due to dog. I told the truth and said the dog chewed them up. Smith warranteed them, and because the model I brought in was discontinued, they let me pick which ones I wanted. WOW! I've sent 4 or 5 pairs in for warranty or repair without any issues.

I wonder how effective the Internet is for posting positive Customer Service experiences? Lynn puts up a post on how happy she is with Maui Jim. A couple of positive and a negative experience follow. A negative experience carries more weight (don't think so? Would you buy from an eBay seller with <95% feedback rating? I wouldn't and 95% means 1 in 20 bad experiences), so the upshot is people who may have bought from them in the past, now will reconsider. This from an original post from a POSITIVE customer service experience.

Just an observation. Not an indictment of anyone.

Edit: My point is not to say anything bad about anyone's post. I think that if someone puts up a positive experience of a product, then it is perfectly within someone else's right to put up a negative. The point was more along the lines of for any product, someone, somewhere has a negative experience. Doesn't mean the product is bad (though it could mean that). Just like a positive customer experience does not mean a product is good (though it could mean that). But a negative experience does carry more weight than a positive.

Unfortunately any anonymous review online is suspect. You have no way of knowing if a positive review was posted by someone who sells the product or if a negative one was posted by a competitor. And yes, a negative review carries way more weight than a positive one. Rick, you're way more lenient than me on eBay. 98% is my cut off.

I love smith's however 3 or so years ago i bought a pair of the polorized ones and noticed after a month that the colour of the glasses on the arms was bubbling off. So i sent them in to get repaired which cost me around $50 or so to get them to quebec i think, got them back like 2 weeks later? only problem was that they were a different colour and i was the new owner of leopord print sunglasses haha, i kept them and have them and use them to this day and they are awesome however i am having the same problem with the bubbling and cracking but dont care as much now as they have scratches and a couple chips on the lenses so its almost time for a new pair. Dont know how many times ive dropped them glasses down a side of a mountain

Unfortunately any anonymous review online is suspect. You have no way of knowing if a positive review was posted by someone who sells the product or if a negative one was posted by a competitor. And yes, a negative review carries way more weight than a positive one. Rick, you're way more lenient than me on eBay. 98% is my cut off.

Marc,

99% is mine, unless it is something I am willing to accept a bit of risk to purchase (insert your own punchline here.)

Anyway, to get back on topic-

If I were to buy a new pair of sunglasses they would be MJs. But I don't think I'd get titanium!

Dustin,

Do you leave your glasses on if you spray your head with mosquito repellent?

I have had several pairs of sunglasses that have had the same problem as you. The only reason I can come up with is by getting that stuff on it, whether it be a direct spray or my hands touching them soon after....

I love smith's however 3 or so years ago i bought a pair of the polorized ones and noticed after a month that the colour of the glasses on the arms was bubbling off. So i sent them in to get repaired which cost me around $50 or so to get them to quebec i think, got them back like 2 weeks later? only problem was that they were a different colour and i was the new owner of leopord print sunglasses haha, i kept them and have them and use them to this day and they are awesome however i am having the same problem with the bubbling and cracking but dont care as much now as they have scratches and a couple chips on the lenses so its almost time for a new pair. Dont know how many times ive dropped them glasses down a side of a mountain

Guest Sundancefisher

Their email spam is very, very, very annoying however...

Anyway, to get back on topic-

If I were to buy a new pair of sunglasses they would be MJs. But I don't think I'd get titanium!

Really odd that the titanium ones break so often. Titanium has the highest strength to weight ratio of any metal, so you'd think they'd hold up better. Maybe a poor alloy or they aren't really titanium.

That's true Rick - negative comments have more impact than positive. Frankly - I don't know that I'd buy the glasses I have right now again. I thought the bendy, light frames would be perfect since behind my ears and on the side of my head get so sore after a day of wearing regular glasses. They are pretty sweet in terms of comfort but you really gotta treat them with kid gloves. The other thing that kinda puts me off is that she said the polarization could wear off if subjected to salt water for a period of time - and she couldn't define "period of time". That's a problem since I wear them in Mexico and I plan to wear them for 4 days fishing in the QCI next week. However, she said if the polarization was affected they would replace the glasses. But after reading what I've read, I wonder how many times you're "allowed" to divest yourself of the warranty. Me thinks that there is a limit on how many times you can send in a pair of glasses. After all - $200 for a pair divided by 5 times sending them in and getting a new pair means they're only netting $40 a pair, so where is the limit for them?

One other point: my EBAY feedback was 100% as a buyer and a seller until some dillhole from France hacked into it a year and a half ago and bought over $128,000 worth of goods and defaulted on payment. You would not believe the 6 month hassle I went through with EBAY to get these transactions reversed and everything straightened up - and still dealing with irate French sellers. Even at that I never got my perfect score restored because people kept filing negative feedback and EBAY refused to remove it anymore, so I shut my account down. I had a 4 year history built up there that became useless because it was my fault that my 10 character password which contained letters, numbers, caps and symbols was hacked into. So...I always make sure to find out why someone has a less than perfect score. Sorry for that aside...it's still a pretty sore point with me!