Fly Fusion Forums

Float Tubing Or Belly Boating The Bow

Just wondering if anyone has ever floated the bow in a belly boat with flippers on? Obviously most people using drift boats of some sort but do you think it would work with a belly boat/waders and flippers on? Would it be dangerous to do this?

With the water flow at 100m3/sec there's no problem.When i was young and had no other boat i did it all the time.In shallow areas i would get out and lay across the tube,It kinda hurts when you hit a rock with your butt going 5 mph.But if you watch where your going and no whats ahead of you it shouldn't be a problem.I also added cleats to the bottom of my flippers because the rocks are so slippery.Also make sure you where a life jacket.

Edit: I should add that allot of the time i floated a short section of the river that i new well,so maybe you'd want to do a short float first in an area you no.

A belly boat is good in still (small) water but not well suited to the Bow or any river with a current, in my opinion. You are going to have to contend with shallow and faster throughout the day. Getting overturned is too easy in a belly boat. On the other hand a good pontoon is an execellent way to fish the Bow as well as a wider scope of other waters.

Just wondering if anyone has ever floated the bow in a belly boat with flippers on? Obviously most people using drift boats of some sort but do you think it would work with a belly boat/waders and flippers on? Would it be dangerous to do this?

No, no, and yes.

thanks for the responses. Based on these comments i won't be belly boating it as i don't know the river that well and don't want to flip or hit a rock. may as well just walk and wade my way along the river until i can afford a boat lol soo maybe 10 years lol

Lol,you guys where just not as adventurous or as crazy as i when you where young.

lethfisher,The way i would use a boat was to wade out and sit down in 2-3 feet of water with my feet on the rocks i would walk my way down stream and fish,and get out and walk around the shallows or fast corner sweeps.So i guess its not really floating it's more like walk and wade except you get to sit.

go buy a 50 dollar dingy that the drunkards use, wear shorts and sandals and use it as a location mover, not a fishing device. you'll be fine

I seem to remember someone losing their life belly boating the Bow quite a few years ago? Anybody recall this? I remember I was coming back from a float from MacKinnon to Carseland and an ambulance went flying by me on 22x. Apparently, it had something to do with someone either overturning and being seriously hurt, or a death. Can't quite remember (age does this to one).

Albeit, belly boating is not a good idea for the Bow in my book. Save up and buy a pontoon boat!

Cheers

My biggest ocncern would be getting my feet caught in something, I do not know how many times I have seen shopping carts in the river, infact I have seen them as far down as carseland.

The thing about the rafters however is most of them have their feet out of the water or just barely in the water so not alot of chance of getting their feet caught on anything.

fishing in a dingy is a bit tricky. i tried it a few weeks ago, and things kept getting in the way. i ended paddling with my hands to steady the dingy in the good water, and the oars to get to the other side. however, i was restricted to short casts. next time, i would just use it to get to spots that can't be reached on foot.

i wouldn't recommend the cheap walmart/canadian tire $10 specials. the weekend some of those were $8, i saw several discarded on the river the same weekend. probably something to do with the vinyl (cheap) compared to PVC. get something non-vinyl with at least 2 air chambers. the coleman $30 2-man (but only fits 1 comfortably) special would be the cheapest i'd go for.

just don't hook your dingy. :boat:

wow, that came out wrong...

I started in a belly boat 6 years ago on the bow fished 50 or 60m times and not all were short flows glenmore too mckinnon would be a full day in a belly boat.I never had any issues with flowing you do need to watch where your going and watch for obstructions in the water,but no different than a pontoon which alot of fisherman also use and I have upgraded too in the last 2 years.If it was me I would invest in a pontoon you can get them at army and navy for about $150.00 for a base model.I feel alot more confident in a pontoon vs belly boat but if push came too shove I would have no problem jumping back in the old belly boat for a trip.here's a couple of ideas just my thoughts

1.first trip go for a short one a hour or two at most

2.buddy up!!! go with a friend one who had experence on the water your flowing

3.buy multi chamber watercraft pontoon being the best I wouldn't get in a dingy with one chamber if you paid me.

4.make sure someone knows where your going,your route and when your coming back.

5.bring a pump and patch kit with you on the water

6.WARE YOUR PFC most important piece of equipment can and will save lives everybody on the water should be in one.

hope this helps have fun on the water....

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-pontoon-boat-Cl...701QQminPriceZ0

Just a perspective:

Not trying to twist your arm into spending money during a recession, but in case you have the moola, then why not go with a pontoon boat?

Lots of used ones, and they are designed for moving waters. I know a few of the posters here have done just fine with a belly boat, but I'm personally in complete agreement with others - far too dangerous for my liking.

Plus you'll have something that can be used in lakes and rivers; very versatile.

Smitty