Fly Fusion Forums

Stand And Be Counted...

SilverDoctor

I've lost count of the people who pursue the Spey form of casting and who own equipment. Either occasionally or at addiction level.

Me of course with 2 TFO rods

TFO Deer Creek Spey 5/6

TFO Professional series 6 wt

Put yer hand up boys and girls.

Well of course I am a Spey deciple and own the same two models of rods that S.D. uses.

Glenbow, the rod you casted last Sunday was the Deercreek series 5-6wt.

The TFO 6wt. Pro series is more suited to Scando Underhand casting and I am picking up a new Airflow Scando Head for it this week and an Airflow Skaggit Head for my DC series.

For the fisherman who are interested in Spey, I would suggest that you start learning the different Spey Casts on your single hander.

I stand corrected Toolman. The Deer Creek is what I now covet.

Lone Fisher, you friggin' liar, you will have one of these by next week once I let you try it out. I will out-cast you at least once! By the way, the longer you don't buy one, the happier I will be and the more fish I will catch ;) I advise you to invest in Pork Futures or something for your retirement so as to provide for yourself in later years & let me out-fish you once for a change.

i got a spey rod yea...no reel tho...mess with gregs from time too time...this winter ill get it all sorted out. i do had a 14ft 9wt loop yellow just need too for out the dough for a reel n line...long overdue...wanting something lighter for the bow

Rusty,

I'm into my rig for about $400. You can expect to spend from $400-500 to get started. Speypages.com is an excellent forum for info, but like everything else, nothing teaches like experience. I don't know virtually anything other than some basic info & I can get the line out, but with more practice I will learn more & be more adept at the casting. It's pretty fun though!

The new TFO Deer Creek 12' 6", 5-6wt Spey rod was $365 at Fish Tales. An Airflow Delta 6/7 line is around $90 and a 10wt. reel such as a Pfleuger start around $75 (and a decent reel, Glenbow just bought one) and about $130 for the Pfleuger Trion 9/10 reel. So getting started is not as expensive as many think.

I absolutely want to get into spey for my future steelhead / salmon outings. However... I am satisfied with my bow river equipment. So what line / rod wt and length would be ideal for purely steelhead, and possibly some pretty hardcore salmon fishing (I do get up to Alaska now and again)...

I absolutely want to get into spey for my future steelhead / salmon outings. However... I am satisfied with my bow river equipment. So what line / rod wt and length would be ideal for purely steelhead, and possibly some pretty hardcore salmon fishing (I do get up to Alaska now and again)...

And I should also add..... that I would need it to be salt water resistant, as it would be the setup I use if I ever get out for bonefish or anything like that (tarpon etc)... or would it?

Hi Guy's,

Good to see the Spey forum busy, but be warned, once you get started there is no stopping the Spey train.

Like Toolman says getting started does not have to be expensive, i can't say to much on the cost of Spey gear, but i will have loads of the latest rods , reels and lines with me , hopefully i can arrange a Spey day on the Bow while i'm there, let you guy's try some really cool new stuff out, i am working on a couple of new Spey things right now for the Calgary area, hopefully i will be able to give more detail in a couple of weeks.

Got to get back to the Spey.

Gordon.

Hi Hawgstoppa,

Sorry i missed your post while havin a nose around, there are plenty of Spey reels that are Salt water resistant, and as for the rods, well just a wash down with warm water.

Not sure of the size of river you fish, but for Steelhead a rod rated 9/10 should do the job , the head length of the line depends on the width of the river, the trick is to get a rod long enough and a line with a head length suited to the river you are fishing,(no point in fishing a line with a 75ft head if the river is only 55ft across.).

I think a common fault is to fish a short rod and try and force it to work, there is an old table called the five times rule, which means that the rod you fish with in Speycasting should be able to cast a maximum of five times its length in line.

(15ft rod = 75ft of line ), but this is the max without forcing the rod,and and in a normal speycasting style.

So for the rivers you fish remember the five times rule as a maximum, this can help you get an idea of the rod length needed.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Glenbow..... yes I was lying I will want one the second I get to try yours but....... you forgot that I need to make a large donation to the RCMP benevolence fund this month....... so you may have an extended period to enjoy your advantage LOL. As for outfishing me...... guess I better keep our trips on small rivers HAHAHA speaking of which I know a section of haunted river that I plan on visiting tommorrow. Let me know if your in. Unless of course you want to take that boat of yours out on a lake and launch bombs all day............

I like to toss a Greys 13' 8/9wt Greyflex on the big rivers, and i've got my Beulah 10'6 7/8wt switch for smaller waters. Will be building a Meiser 12'6 4wt specifically for the Bow as well as an 11'6 Beulah 5/6/7. Never enough rods or enough time.

Colin

Never enough time, never enough gear. I hope I always feel this way. And Lone Fisher, I'm gonna maximize the time I get to *try* to out-fish you just so I will always have it to remember! MMWWWaaaahahahahaah.

Speyghillie, thanks a lot for your input to this forum, it is most valued and appreciated. Also, I will pay you to show me a few tricks that will allow me to out-fish Toolman just once!

LOL... *peeping out from behind a pile of spey rods... looking around carefully... running for the door*

Can't wait to learn this Toolman... if were gonna hit up some bigguns this fall. I need to invest in some gear asap...

Thanks for the advice all. I think that I will go with "too much rod" as opposed to not having enough at some point. Most of those big BC salmon / steelie rivers are at least 100ft across... so maybe a 15ft rod in the 9/10 wt category will do. Will it be heavy / bulky and hard to handle or if weighted properly with the real, will it be a pleasure to fish?

Hi Hawgstoppa,

I fish a 15ft rod and 9/10 when Steelheading on the Thompson ect, just makes it easier to cover the water, i also like to fish a long belly line rather than a Skagit or shooting head, yes they are easier to cast but i hate stripping in so much running line, especially Steelheading in the winter.

Gordon.

If you plan on fishing sink tips, I prefer lighter rods with Skagit/Shooting heads.

LOL... *peeping out from behind a pile of spey rods... looking around carefully... running for the door*

Can't wait to learn this Toolman... if were gonna hit up some bigguns this fall. I need to invest in some gear asap...

Thanks for the advice all. I think that I will go with "too much rod" as opposed to not having enough at some point. Most of those big BC salmon / steelie rivers are at least 100ft across... so maybe a 15ft rod in the 9/10 wt category will do. Will it be heavy / bulky and hard to handle or if weighted properly with the real, will it be a pleasure to fish?

Just a wannabe.

Wondering if the Skeena trip calls for an 8wt or bigger? If bigger, will the fact that I'm a strong but wee tiny lass make casting a 9/10 all day a chore?

Last year when I went for summer Steelhead I met guys and gals fishing with outfits from 5 wt to 10 wt. I was impressed with some of the lighter outfits but I think a 6/7/8 would be a good choice. Leaning toward the heavier 8 wt's I had my first experience and tried out a with a 6 wt Meiser Highlander that a friend had that was a joy. Met a few ladies in Terrace and later on the river who where using 6 wts and fished all day with little effort. They both picked up a few steelies with Big shoulders and did well in the battle.

Just remember that you are hooking up to a Steelhead definition = Rocket ship on wheels.