Fly Fusion Forums

New Spey Forum

speyghillie

Hi Everyone,

Well its great that the guy's on the Forum have started a new Spey lounge, hopefully it will go on to be of interest to all Fly casters and anyone interested in Fishing.

This Spey lounge will be good for sharing info on the world of Spey, and having see the Bow river i see it as a Speycasters heaven.

I hope the Spey section is a place where any questions can be answered and we can all learn from each other, after twenty years on the Spey i still learn something new almost every day.

Thanks Gordon.

I'm very pleased that we now have a place to go and talk about everything Spey.

Maybe other Spey casters could introduce themselves on this thread and tell us a bit about their Spey gear, preferences etc. I especailly would like to hear what type of flies folks have been swinging for Trout, that have been successfull.

Name is Rob - still very much a beginner. Most of the time I am casting without a fly wishing to take my time learning the techniques before complicating things too much by worrying about landing fish

Using a custom 11'6" 5/6 wt spey rod built by Brad Hanson in Oregon. I have a Rio windcutter multi-tip line - so far have been focusing on using the dry and clear intermedite tips. plan on picking up a 7/8 wt for pike, salmon, steelies and eventually a skagit line for the 5/6 just for fun

Best (of very few) hook-ups so far was a skating a EHC across a quick moving lake outlet and getting slammed by a sweet rainbow, was pretty exciting because I didn't really think it would work and then "Woohoo, fish-on". Waiting for the moving water to clear up and then I'll be working bullies in the Upper Bow, Kootenay and Kicking Horse rivers.

Thanks to the admins for putting this section up !

Thanks to Gordon for dropping in - hope to be in your next class again !