Fly Fusion Forums

Slammin Bulls

acurrie

Since my encounter with the massive Bull that tried to eat my Cutty yesterday, I have been stricken with the need to Catch a damn Bull trout. I was throwing Double Bunnies, Pike streamers (6-8 inches), Big buggers but the Bull wouldn't take it. I could see him right in front of me in about 10 feet of water. Do you think because the Fish saw me when it went for my Cutty it was smart enough to avoid the fly. I had enough weight on as well, the fly was literally bouncing right in front of him. Maybe I jut need more persistence and stealthyness (I just made that word up)! Any pointers?

thanks,

Drew

He saw ya. I had a big bully chase down a cuttie I had on on Saturday and I tossed a few in front of him. Similar situation you were in. He humored it a couple of times but he could clearly see me. The experience I have with the bigger bullies in that situation is if they see you that's it, they are down. If they don't see you'll get them even if they miss a couple of times. I haven't had a bully give up when he hasn't seen me but as soon as they catch eye to me that's it.

Haha max and I would catch a cutty and instantly whomever was free would streamer fish. Not overly successful.

I disagree entirely. Have had many, many bulls take the streamer I threw beside the action when a bull was agressive after a cutty someone had hooked. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a big bull last year that could clearly see me, tossed 10 different streamers like 99 times, on the 100th drift the bully nailed it- I was standing in knee deep water 10 feet away from it. Sometimes they seem like they are down, but perhaps they get annoyed eventually, you never know. I have thrown big rabbit strips into a hole many times, not able to see if there was a bull present, although based on the hole and the river its a good bet, then after 25 nearly identical drifts - Bang. If they get spooked, just tie on something else, they'll liekly chase it.

I find bulls bite better when they can't see you...do a little ninja action.

Once they become very visible, they don't usually move, but become very tough to catch. The only way I find to catch them then is to really annoy them. Bounce a lot of different fly patterns by them...sometimes you get an aggression strike, other times it will just slowly nip at the tail.

I have had great success with having a streamer thrown in after a Bull was in the cutty chase mode, key I think is the second rod was set up and manned by another angler and the casts were made while the cutty was still on or shortly after it was landed. Other wise I find your first few casts into a pool undetected are your best opportunities. Cutthroat catching needs to be your second priority if you want to catch them on a regular basis.

Correctomundo, leavin' your dry fly outfit behind and concentratin' on stayin' hidden and huckin' big streamers has always caught me my bigger and most consistent bull trout plus you will catch some surprisingly big bug eaters as bycatch

Guest Jeremie

I know what you mean taco, i have caught some massive "bug eaters" on at 5 inch long double bunny before too. Somethings just make you wonder :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...