Fly Fusion Forums

Traffic Ticket Question

I am sure someone has run into this problem before and maybe can give me some advice.

So i got a ticket today doing an illegal u-turn at some lights when I had an advance. I got pulled over and given a ticket for $115 :( Anyways the cop wrote my middle name as my last name so does this make the ticket void? I searched the net and there seems to be a lot of opinions about it but most people had said that if the drivers license number and plate number are written correctly then you are stuck. But on my ticket it doesn't say anywhere, or have space for, a drivers license number or plate number. I also know that my ticket is the carbon copy so maybe he wrote the info down on the cops version of the ticket...?

Anyone had an experiences with tickets being written incorrectly or getting voided? Someone on here must be a cop lol

From the pointts website:

2. There are only a few areas on a traffic ticket where a mistake will result in the case being dismissed or quashed and a misspelled name or wrong plate number are not any of them.

Pay the fine and quit doing those turns! I have another intersection by my place and can recall at least a dozen times where I've had to nail the brakes to prevent myself from being sideswiped by someone doing an illegal u turn.

From the pointts website:

2. There are only a few areas on a traffic ticket where a mistake will result in the case being dismissed or quashed and a misspelled name or wrong plate number are not any of them.

Pay the fine and quit doing those turns! I have another intersection by my place and can recall at least a dozen times where I've had to nail the brakes to prevent myself from being sideswiped by someone doing an illegal u turn.

yeah i figured i was going to have to pay anyways but i thought i would see if i could get out of it lol

I made sure nobody was coming when i turned!!

Yes, I work as a law enforcement officer...

First of all, it is unlikely the ticket will be thrown out because your middle name was used as your last name. Your "carbon copy" simply states the charge, most likely - Make U-Turn Unsafely S.29(1) of the Traffic Safety Act but does not contain the critical information that the officer retains for prosecution in court. This would include the "officer's notes" portion of the ticket containing your License plate number, Driver's license number (which can be corresponded to your correct name, picture, address etc for proper identification in court), current weather and road conditions, amount of vehicle/pedestrian traffic, etc. Basically information to support the charge. Also, if the officer realizes his mistake he has 6 months to re-serve you that ticket with your correct information so no discrepancy exists. If you decide to fight the ticket you can contact the Crown Prosecutor's office and request "full disclosure" in which they will provide you with a copy of the "Officer's Notes" for your defense in court. My advice to you is fight the ticket! Many times the crown will reduce the charge simply for showing up. Hope this helps...

I got pulled over for a U-turn about 4 years ago. The woman was such an ass to me that I went down and complained to her immediate supervisor. This woman did not belong in a uniform. I even told her supervisor that I have no problem paying the ticket but I DO NOT deserve to be talked to rather "yelled at" by ANYONE.

And what happened?!

I got pulled over for a U-turn about 4 years ago. The woman was such an ass to me that I went down and complained to her immediate supervisor. This woman did not belong in a uniform. I even told her supervisor that I have no problem paying the ticket but I DO NOT deserve to be talked to rather "yelled at" by ANYONE.

Been there... I have had 2 speeding tickets in my life, both in alberta after 20 years of driving all across canada. Been through lots of spot checks - which i don't mind cause I don't drink - but when getting pulled over for speeding, it's no fun being treated like an ass by some cop having a bad day.

Both tickets I found myself in the way of a semi, had no choice but to speed up to get out of their way. The cops seen this but still barked at me. Nothing like being belittled by the law. Paid the tickets without contest cause I was speeding.

Funny one tho, my second ticket was last winter - laser trap and it was cold. The cop that pulled me over was sitting in his warm car, pulled his cruiser out into traffic - nearly causing an accident to get me out of the fast lane. I pulled in about 50 feet from his cruiser and he comes up to my car in a bitchy mood. Goes back to his car and writes me up....

I laughed my ass off when I watched him try to back up his cruiser the 50 feet to my car - this guy couldn't back up to save his life, tires over the curb, weaving back and forth. I'm red in the face by the time he makes it and trying not to laugh at him...