Fly Fusion Forums

Losing Focus At Work

As I sit here on a saturday morning I find myself thinking about what type of fishing and where I am going to fish the next two days.

For the most half as I work I try and think of ways to get out early so I can hit the bow and start slammin fish, espically last week as me and max took out our 3wts and went out to do some dryfly fishin.

It was alot of fun to take out my 3wt (even though I had to go out and purcashe a new hatch reel for it) and was happy that max made me take it out as I was starting to get bored of doing the samething over and over, now I find myself with a new challange and found that step in my walk that I had thought was gone.....

With the dry fly fishin beeing epic last week I can not wait for this week and plan on beeing out on the river as much as possible.

How many other people out there suffer from this just like me. I know when the dry fly starts its hard to keep me inside or at work.

At time I curse this sport (I spend way too much money on things releated to fly fishing then I should) while other times you just can't remove the smirk from my face and the friends that I have made fishing is well worth it.

Tight lines to all and let all take a step back and look at what we got.....

As I sit here on a saturday morning I find myself thinking about what type of fishing and where I am going to fish the next two days.

For the most half as I work I try and think of ways to get out early so I can hit the bow and start slammin fish, espically last week as me and max took out our 3wts and went out to do some dryfly fishin.

It was alot of fun to take out my 3wt (even though I had to go out and purcashe a new hatch reel for it) and was happy that max made me take it out as I was starting to get bored of doing the samething over and over, now I find myself with a new challange and found that step in my walk that I had thought was gone.....

With the dry fly fishin beeing epic last week I can not wait for this week and plan on beeing out on the river as much as possible.

How many other people out there suffer from this just like me. I know when the dry fly starts its hard to keep me inside or at work.

At time I curse this sport (I spend way too much money on things releated to fly fishing then I should) while other times you just can't remove the smirk from my face and the friends that I have made fishing is well worth it.

Tight lines to all and let all take a step back and look at what we got.....

Yup.

No kidding about the dryfly action. When I came to Calgary in '95, I seriously used only one fly pattern (brown elk wing caddis) for the first three years I fished the bow and the action was great. Last week was the first time I've fished the bow in years with only a dry and had steady action. Next to sight fishing on a marl bottomed lake, casting dries to rising trout is about the best fishing there is.

The other thing that I've noticed is the ratio of browns to bows - seems like I'm getting 2-3 browns for every rainbow - and until this year, my ratio was more like 10-12 Rainbows to every brown.

What a great post Brad.

I am always losing focus at work. Being on the board and seeing all the success you guys are having, on what seems to be a daily basis, doesn't make it any easier either!

I have yet to hit the dry fly on the Bow yet this year, and I am already considering yet another rod for the Bow as my 8'6" 5wt would be a perfect rod for dry flying the Bow, but works well enough for me to nymph with it.

As I sit here on my Saturday morning, I keep thinking about the same things. What action am I missing? When will I be able to get out next? What will I use?

I know that I will be learning a lot tomorrow as I head out on my Listening to the Bow course with Jim McLennan, and I can't wait to see what kind of action we get into!

Yup.

No kidding about the dryfly action. When I came to Calgary in '95, I seriously used only one fly pattern (brown elk wing caddis) for the first three years I fished the bow and the action was great. Last week was the first time I've fished the bow in years with only a dry and had steady action. Next to sight fishing on a marl bottomed lake, casting dries to rising trout is about the best fishing there is.

The other thing that I've noticed is the ratio of browns to bows - seems like I'm getting 2-3 browns for every rainbow - and until this year, my ratio was more like 10-12 Rainbows to every brown.

Rehsiflylf,

Last thursday night when I was out in about a span of 20 mins I had 6 hits (Too bad my reel I was using on my three weight just sucked ass) I would say a good 90% of these guys where bows and they averaged in length between 15 to 20, but I'll tell you that I am lovin it cause on my 3wt those 15 inchers that wer usally just haul in is such a great fight, don't know if I will be pulling out the spey or the 6wt for the next couple of months, only time will tell.

BTW, the PMD's and PED's are working very well and the Skids are working extremly well during the day with the caddis in the evening. My boss just told me I am too wound up today and she is pretty sure it is because I want to get out of work so I can hit the bow and do some seriouse fishin.

What a great post Brad.

I am always losing focus at work. Being on the board and seeing all the success you guys are having, on what seems to be a daily basis, doesn't make it any easier either!

I have yet to hit the dry fly on the Bow yet this year, and I am already considering yet another rod for the Bow as my 8'6" 5wt would be a perfect rod for dry flying the Bow, but works well enough for me to nymph with it.

As I sit here on my Saturday morning, I keep thinking about the same things. What action am I missing? When will I be able to get out next? What will I use?

I know that I will be learning a lot tomorrow as I head out on my Listening to the Bow course with Jim McLennan, and I can't wait to see what kind of action we get into!

FNG,

What no dry action yet, man you really need to get out there. The biggest thing I have learned so far is that my casting grip needs improvement and I have to watch out that I am not cracking my wrist during my cast and lastly to go gentler on my set as I am pulling out alot of hooks.

Never taken a course with Jim, but I do highly respect him and I am sure you will have a blast. When you get back PM me and we'll see if we can get out one evening to go after some dry fly action.

I was out twice last week and my 3wt loaded with a 16 caddis was my weapon of choice.I really enjoy the challenge of making that perfect drag free cast.As i type this I'm thinking i should go out this afternoon but i have work to do,so i guess I'll just have to go on memorys to get me through the day.

I was out twice last week and my 3wt loaded with a 16 caddis was my weapon of choice.I really enjoy the challenge of making that perfect drag free cast.As i type this I'm thinking i should go out this afternoon but i have work to do,so i guess I'll just have to go on memorys to get me through the day.

Well my day is getting better and better, I thought I would have to work till like 1 or 2 and then I had my new person come in and said she was working also, with three of us in there is no point in me beeing here so I am outta here in like 15mins to go slam the bow with my 3wt and my new Hatch reel.

My office productivity has suffered this spring. So has the pay check. I have spent more than a few calm, overcast afternoons staring out the window and not getting much done. Just in case my boss is reading, I don't bill the time! But there is no point sitting at a desk for 8 hr and billing 5-6 hr... So, out of the door I go. A quick word to reception that I am "unavailable" (mostly so the wife doesn't bust me), and to the river I go!

Mostly, though, I just have been out in the evenings after the kids are in bed. Very tired at work, lately...

My wife is starting to get fed up with the early morning fishing (if I went in the evening, I'd get 0 sleep!). She does not care that I'm tired at work, but that I'm tired at home. If this stupid river would just stop fishing so damn good!!