Fly Fusion Forums

Rant

Guest guito

Funny you should mention golf Mike. I played in a tournament last week and my game actually came around. One round in the mid 70s, and actually played better on the scramble day. Might be playing a lot more golf this summer, which will drop the number of fishing reports around here substantially!! (but in my defense I almost never give locations, particularly down south).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo-Bango....and they dont even have to be nice fish. Ego wh0res.

And others stroke their egos by looking down from their high horses on the people posting pics; you may be stroking for a different

reason, but yer still strokin'! <--poke--<

This is kind of an interesting thread although it has been covered numerous times, around and around we go again.

I kind of take exception to someone saying that posting a pic or report is plain ego stroking. So are saying that my post a week ago about my time on Fallentimber was all about stroking my ego? I am not sure how it came across to you but it was certainly not about stroking my ego. It was all about how much fun I had hitting this new water and that I managed to catch something that made my day and I wanted to share my story. If that gets someone else to do some exploring than great, it is one of my most favourite things so why shouldn't someone else be allowed to do the same? Someone else said something in that thread about creating a lot of buzz about that creek. Any previous reports had nothing to do with me going there (I got hints from a local guide on different waters and possible access points). I fish the Bow at most twice a year so there is not a lot of options near Calgary at that time of year for stream fishing. I also fished the Little Red Deer a few weeks ago and did pretty good...oops I guess I should say anything about that secret stream either.

The bottom line is that I enjoy this sport and will continue to share the water with anyone else out there as they have just as much right to be there. When I have a good day and I want to share, I will do that too. This is a forum and that is one of the reasons why I come on here. Flame away if you want.

I think the real problem is not people posting where their favorite fishing hole is that's adding to the fishing pressure, the real problem is the massive population boom in alberta, there is just simply way more people fishing, and that makes every fishing spot in alberta have more pressure. to quote my favorite singer Dave Stamey

"Someone needs to go back home

Cause the west ain't goin' to hold us all

The western green got covered up

They built a shoppin' mall

Someone needs to go back home

There must be towns back east

Where there ain't nobody left

Someplace they might go back to

If they ain't pooped in their nest

Out here there's only traffic jams

People every where

A bunch of rolin' hemorrhoids

Fowling up the air"

maybe there should be some new fishing regs, true local born and raised albertans get to fish 4 or 5 days a week and all the johnny come lately's get to fish a 2 days a week. If you were not born here maybe you don't get the same rights to alberta's resource's as those who were born here. Just my 2 cents, obviously I am not serious about the regs but I sure feel that way sometimes.

the real problem is the massive population boom in alberta, there is just simply way more people fishing, and that makes every fishing spot in alberta have more pressure.

Not true, the number of anglers has been on a steady decline almost everywhere in Canada for the last 20 years.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/statisti...005/index_e.htm

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/statisti...EN_20070727.pdf

Maybe it's all those unlicensed Newfies and Cape Bretoners. <--poke--<

Thank God we don't have Cod.

It isn't more fishermen. It's more fishermen with more money, and more time, and more quads, and more stupidly big pickup trucks, and more up to date information, and more RVs, and more Internet Fishing Reports to follow, and more articles in American magazines .... The list could go on and on. Point being, if we don't want our fishing areas to implode, we need to relieve the pressure valve, and do something. My idea has always been to regulate OHV/ATV and random camping. NOTE: not ban, only regulate, in a similar manner as fishing --places you can and can not do it, at certain times of year, and for a nominal licensing fee. That, my friends, will help things out because it makes a lot of things, like habitat destruction, poaching, etc, a lot less easy and all too, unfortunately, common.

Nick

Well might as "wade" in...

-not sure how anyone can expect to have a secret spot within an hour of 1 million humans

- while I too get slightly disappointed when I get to my destination and someone beat me to it, take it as opportunity to find a new favourite honey hole or get up earlier or stay later

- with the numbers of fisherman declining and most of us practicing C&R, the number of fish per river/stream should stay relatively constant barring natural or unnatural disasters and thus will be there for you the next time by

- if the numbers of fishermen is truly declining then the local industry will be relying more on tourists types who get their info from the mags and internet. And yes without them our favourite little flyshops, small town motels and roadside diners will suffer. The big box stores will always survive due to their expansive selection and inventory.

- as far as them damn easterners ( not sure what I am 25 years in Ont, 25 years in AB) I know the thread was in jest, just keep in mind if you are not First Nations then all our forefathers came here from somewhere else.

- I'm thinking this internet fad might stick around...somewhere someone is sitting on the bank of a stream, reading this post on his blackberry while he marks the exact location with his GPS

- pay it forward

-not sure how anyone can expect to have a secret spot within an hour of 1 million humans

I think that's the exact problem. There are a LOT of "secret spots" within a short drive of the big city... and more and more of their names and directions to them seem to be showing up on this forum. And more and more people seem to be going to them. Some people just can't seem to keep their mouths shut about where they were on a post. I love fishing reports, and if it's on a well known river just say the river not exactly where, and if it's on somehting lesser known... SHHHH for pete's sake!!! :$*%&:

I still don't get most of the concern here. I fish a not unknown body of water near here. In 3 years of going there, I've had someone parked there exactly once, ran into people twice. I haven't had anyone in my favorite Bow spot, here in the city, in at least 10 trips. I went down south last week, on opening day. I stopped at 4 or 5 different locations. Saw one car, no people. I did have to drive past some random campers though.

Anyway, seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.

Growing up in Calgary fishing was always a secret,you always got one or two word answers in the 80-90's at the shops.I remember going with my dad on the highwood in the 70's.He would park the car 1/2 mile away from where he likes to fish and look over his shoulder before he climbed down.People would put there hands over there fly when you stopped to talk.Everybody knew that blabbing about good fishing spots was frowned on.So for me its just the way i was taught.

I'll bet the First Nations members think the same thing about you and your favourite singer... <--poke--<

not sure if you are aware of this but the indians have their own special regs, they can fish anywhere, anytime they want to.

the problem with all this mess is every on seems to want their own private river with nobody else allowed to be there. how are we supposed to get our kids off the X boxes and playstations if every time we walk upstream past some body they give us the stink eye and curse us for wanting to fish " their water". i want my kids out there enjoying nature and the fish but i dont want them to feel unwelcome. I have my " secret spots" that i know arent secret im just lucky that no one seems to fish them the same days i go there or i hit them earlier in the day than sane people are willing to get up and go fishing. that seems to relieve the pressure on my spots. as for all the foriegner canadians your money is welcome at any of our buisinesses. every fisherman out there helps drive the economy of our small towns close to these secret spots. with fuel food and tackle and many other purchases made on each trip. and every one out there should be grateful we have water to fish and that we have the right of access our streams as there are many places where that right is not so freely given.

nuf said get out and fish and try and enjoy it with out getting so damn uptight.

I still don't get most of the concern here. I fish a not unknown body of water near here. In 3 years of going there, I've had someone parked there exactly once, ran into people twice. I haven't had anyone in my favorite Bow spot, here in the city, in at least 10 trips. I went down south last week, on opening day. I stopped at 4 or 5 different locations. Saw one car, no people. I did have to drive past some random campers though.

Anyway, seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.

Bingo, buy the man a ceegar

not sure if you are aware of this but the indians have their own special regs, they can fish anywhere, anytime they want to.

I call BS better check the regs old son!!..

"They" have to follow all the same rules.. just no lic needed

As for you and your dipstick fav singer and his Dip stick song - stick it!!!!!!

This is Canada I can live any damn where I want and When I left the Army after 24 yrs, I had my choice and this is where I picked so suck it up dude..

Even the natives came from somewhere else to be here.. My family got here in the 1700's that's right very friggin early!!!!!!

You read right I spent 24yrs in the Army living every were they told me to... This IS MY CANADA I SERVED THIS COUNTRY AND HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE ANY DAMN WERE I WANT - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY OR EVEN YOUR OWN PROVINCE ?

When I look at the country I do not see provincial boundaries they are only there to make managing the WHOLE country easier .. That is why the talk of Quebec or Alberta separating is foolish it is Canada as a Whole that we should speak ..

I love my province NEW BRUNSWICK... But it is the fishing here in MY ALBERTA that kept me here !!

I only share my secret Fishing holes with my dog Fischer and he ain't talking to none of you bums...

I am done being Pissed now!!!!!!

Time to pack for some fishing!!!

nuf said get out and fish and try and enjoy it with out getting so damn uptight.

Hear hear brother.

I am a born and bread Albertan currently living in Denver, and us Albertan's have no clue what a busy river is. None.

It's fishing boys, if you don't get some enjoyment out of standing in the water looking at the sky, then rent a fishing video and sit by yourself in the basement.

If you don't like seeing secret spots on this forum, don't surf it.

CC

Everybody knew that blabbing about good fishing spots was frowned on.So for me its just the way i was taught.

Not picking on you Mike, just using your quote!!

My dad was the best fisherman I've ever met. There was a group that literally used to follow him around back in the 60s (back when boats were slow). They were called "Richard's Army". He had to use diversion tactics to fish his favorite places without being followed. (I know many people are saying "whatever" right now. I don't particularly care if you believe me or not!). But as he aged, he learned that it really didn't matter if people knew the good places. He would just figure out more of them, or go back to old ones that had fallen out of favor.

Before he died, we went through a bunch of photos together. I found several pictures of him in his 40s to 60s, after my brothers and I had moved away, with people I did not know. There was usually with a kid or two in tow, always with some fish in a cooler. When I asked about it he said "oh, that's just some guys who I met at the ramp who had a hard time catching fish, so I took them out and showed them a couple of spots and how to fish them." So as he aged, he learned that for him it was more important to pass his knowledge on than to try to keep it all for himself.

Figured it's the least I could do to try to do the same, though I'm not a fraction of the fisherman he was. My theory is that the fishing gene skips every other generation (my grandpa wasn't all that great either, but my son is pretty stinking good). But I have just as much passion for it as he did and if I can help someone just starting out, I'll do so. I couldn't possibly care less if they are a member of the site, guest, lurker, spin fisherman, whatever. The more people fishing, the better. If that pisses some people off, so be it. I can live with that.

Oh, and Taco and FFFairx-I promise I'll never bring anyone to any of your spots if you show them to me. Double pinky swear!!

The best fisherman i know is my dad as well. When i was younger he showed me all of his "secret spots" which i took for granted at the time. As the years go by I find myself now showing him my "secret spots". But i would have no problem showing someone else them as well as long as they were respectful. I think for the most part a good majority of the people on this site fit that catagory to a T. I would have a problem if people were not respectful of these areas but then i wouldnt show these places to these people again. With a growing population, privacy and space bankside will be harder to acheive and we all know they are not making anymore of it. Somebody showed you where to fish at some point in your life. This site is about helping fly fishers flyfish so quit bickering amongest each other. "Secret spots" and "honey holes" have been here long before you and they will be here long after your gone. Finding the new ones is the real fun anyways or maybe I just like swerving from the norm and breaking new water in. I have alot of san juans to tie quit distracting me Fly Fish Calgary.

cheers,

scorpiondeathlock

There was around one million people in Alberta in 1991. There are about three million now.

That's a three fold increase and a lot of them are fisherman too, in less than two decades.

Every one of them is looking for the "quiet" away from other anglers.

But that is not the reality.

So sorry about your Frenchman's creek. Some jackass rode an atv up and down it for a month. Why? Because you kept you "hidden creek" secret. Not protected by the authorities.

Seriously man. We have satellite imaging, GPS, and Twitter now. That means your quiet creek in the back country can be over run in an instant.

It's no longer a "loose lips" issue.

There was around one million people in Alberta in 1991. There are about three million now.

That's a three fold increase and a lot of them are fisherman too, in less than two decades.

Really? That's news to me.

(Actually it was in the early 1950's Alberta's population hit 1 million and it surpassed 3 million earlier this decade. )

Not picking on you Mike, just using your quote!!

My dad was the best fisherman I've ever met. There was a group that literally used to follow him around back in the 60s (back when boats were slow). They were called "Richard's Army". He had to use diversion tactics to fish his favorite places without being followed. (I know many people are saying "whatever" right now. I don't particularly care if you believe me or not!). But as he aged, he learned that it really didn't matter if people knew the good places. He would just figure out more of them, or go back to old ones that had fallen out of favor.

Before he died, we went through a bunch of photos together. I found several pictures of him in his 40s to 60s, after my brothers and I had moved away, with people I did not know. There was usually with a kid or two in tow, always with some fish in a cooler. When I asked about it he said "oh, that's just some guys who I met at the ramp who had a hard time catching fish, so I took them out and showed them a couple of spots and how to fish them." So as he aged, he learned that for him it was more important to pass his knowledge on than to try to keep it all for himself.

Figured it's the least I could do to try to do the same, though I'm not a fraction of the fisherman he was. My theory is that the fishing gene skips every other generation (my grandpa wasn't all that great either, but my son is pretty stinking good). But I have just as much passion for it as he did and if I can help someone just starting out, I'll do so. I couldn't possibly care less if they are a member of the site, guest, lurker, spin fisherman, whatever. The more people fishing, the better. If that pisses some people off, so be it. I can live with that.

Oh, and Taco and FFFairx-I promise I'll never bring anyone to any of your spots if you show them to me. Double pinky swear!!

Jeez Rick I thought I made my point, do I hafta see if I can top my last WTF PM count by posting a coupla dozen coordinates? ;) ;) ;)

I really like your analogy about your Dad and yourself. I think it's very true about many of us, the need to pass on the passion.