Fly Fusion Forums

Sometimes It Isn't About The Fish.....

Hawgstoppah

Did your kids catch any as well?

Still working on it. They hooked about 15... but with barbless... and clumsy little hands... no chance... :rolleyes:

Call me a jerk, but next trip the flies the kids use are gonna be barbed. Sue me. I think kids under 10 should be exempt. How the hell are they supposed to gain a love for fishing and the sport, if all that happens every time out is frustration? :angry:

Still working on it. They hooked about 15... but with barbless... and clumsy little hands... no chance... :rolleyes:

Call me a jerk, but next trip the flies the kids use are gonna be barbed. Sue me. I think kids under 10 should be exempt. How the hell are they supposed to gain a love for fishing and the sport, if all that happens every time out is frustration? :angry:

Actually, I like that idea for kids. It would be nice if you could figure out a way to apply to any beginner, but obviously impossible to implement. I noticed how hard it was for my wife to land the fish she was hooking for the same reason. At some point in the fight, there would be slack. Though with older kids/adults they can usually tell that it will be something they will enjoy, even if they are missing fish. For the little ones, if they are not catching, they are getting bored.

Anyway, glad you got the kids out. Sure is fun! I will utilize your theory of gear haulers next time I bring my brood.

Just make sure you think about the possible ramifications, Brian. F'rinstance, which would be easier to remove from a screaming

child's face: barbed or barbless? Definitely see your point, tho', bro'!

What better life lesson than "sometimes you catch them and sometimes you don't?"

"Keep up the tension" is also a good thing to learn, as is learning to carry on despite frustration. Much of flyfishing is physical, there's only so much info you can stuff into your head. You can best learn about keeping the pressure on by doing it- or seeing the consequences of not doing it.

Conservation, following the rules and responsible fish handling are excellent lessons. It's a fast paced, fast food, instant gratification world for which most of us use flyfishing as an antidote. I urge you to resist handing it to them on a paper plate.

And I definitely agree with the right reverend Bob on the hook extraction point.

I'll bet the most fun was being with Dad and it was the icing on the cake to catch fish. If there's time to explore, splash around and be a kid in there somewhere then there's a balance between lessons and play. They're lucky to have you.