Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Cochrane

hey there just bought my first fly rod today and thought i might just say hello. anyways moved to cochrane last november and just wonder where on the bow or surrounding lakes or rivers might be good to hit up this time of year? i have heard fishing the bow around cochrane might not be so good, is there any truth to this rumor? thanks for any input, and hope to have many great fish stories and pics to come over the course of my learning curve transitioning from a spin cast guy to a fly guy. any ways thank and hope everyone has a great season.

Hey sallinger, welcome!

Yeah there are fish to be had, but it is much more of a challenge, for sure (dam fluctuations and how that relates to aquatic life)... Run off is going to be starting soon, if not already up there... Lots of whities and the odd brown and rainbow even fewer bullies and cutts and brookies. Flashback anything, small pt nymphs and gr hares ear have all produced for me in the past (funny how the whities will hit your strike indicator often, as well). Pretty good dry hopper/dropper action in the later summer!

Tight lines and let us know how you do...

Cheers,

Peter

hey there just bought my first fly rod today and thought i might just say hello. anyways moved to cochrane last november and just wonder where on the bow or surrounding lakes or rivers might be good to hit up this time of year? i have heard fishing the bow around cochrane might not be so good, is there any truth to this rumor? thanks for any input, and hope to have many great fish stories and pics to come over the course of my learning curve transitioning from a spin cast guy to a fly guy. any ways thank and hope everyone has a great season.

Hi Sallinger,

Welcome to the board! As a former spin caster myself, and also fairly new to the sport. If you haven't already received some basic education in casting, presentation or other fly fishing skills, I would highly recommend taking a beginner fly fishing course. Helped me TONS in my learning curve.

If you have some basic understanding already, then maybe take up an intermediate course. I am sure you will see it is time WELL spent.

Cheers

Hi Sallinger, welcome to the board.

Midford ponds are a great place to practice your casting plus they have some nice rainbows in there.

Some good spots on the Bow are.

1. Down by the Spray Lake rec centre there is a nice big bend with a few good runs.

2. Where the Jumping Pound meets the Bow (George Fox trail then park at the bridge and walk in)

3. Park at the top of the hill near the Wild Cat hills gas plant and hike down. You will find a couple of nice runs there.

Get out and explore and have fun.

Good for you getting into the sport.

As BBT touched on, the gas plant area can be good. In fact, what I would do is float the river if you have a canoe or small boat. The key to the Bow in that reach is to time the fishing to the dam releases. I'm not down on the water as others are, though have never had an amazing experience on it, but it is very nice water and has some good fishing. The key, observe the dam release times, realize that it takes time for fluxes to flush through, and make a point of being on the water when things are low and weather is in your favor (ie, a cloudy day with any kind of hatch while the levels are down).

Also keep in mind you aren't too far from the RDR drainage - FallenTimber, Dogpound, Little Red, and tribs, as well as the whole K Country and some decent fishing in the Upper Bow near Canmore. Add in that an hour or so away is the Livingstone, the Highwood and Sheep, and you have a ton of quite good trout water close at hand, without having to fight Calgary traffic to get out.

Have fun.

:)

Good for you getting into the sport.

As BBT touched on, the gas plant area can be good. In fact, what I would do is float the river if you have a canoe or small boat. The key to the Bow in that reach is to time the fishing to the dam releases. I'm not down on the water as others are, though have never had an amazing experience on it, but it is very nice water and has some good fishing. The key, observe the dam release times, realize that it takes time for fluxes to flush through, and make a point of being on the water when things are low and weather is in your favor (ie, a cloudy day with any kind of hatch while the levels are down).

Also keep in mind you aren't too far from the RDR drainage - FallenTimber, Dogpound, Little Red, and tribs, as well as the whole K Country and some decent fishing in the Upper Bow near Canmore. Add in that an hour or so away is the Livingstone, the Highwood and Sheep, and you have a ton of quite good trout water close at hand, without having to fight Calgary traffic to get out.

Have fun.

:)

Damn Dave, now I want to move to Cochrane, and you think convincing my wife of a new rod was hard :clapping:

Welcome aboard Sallinger. How has life been after "Catcher in the Rye?" Heard you went into hiding, nice to have you back.

You have received some great advice on this thread. If I didn't live so far away, I'd go fish Cochrane now that I've been told how to do it. One word of caution, contrary to popular belief, you can't get to the Highwood from Cochrane. Sorry, you'll just have to go around! ;)

Has a resident of the cochrane area i can tell you that there's allot of great fishing opportunitys in this area and all it takes is a great attitude and get out and have fun. But it's so important to know the basics, take a into course from any of the local flyshops, there about $150.00 bucks but money well spent with the knowledge gained. Mike @ country pleasures has a great program and so do many other local shops in the calgary area and even the university of calgary has a program.

If u need further help, pm me.

Yah I will throw in my two cents on the fly course as well. The Ghost Res to Cochrane section of the bow can be one tricky piece of water and you really need to know what to look for and where to fish. Spend the 150 bucks, learn your stuff and it will save you months if not years of head banging!

Has a resident of the cochrane area i can tell you that there's allot of great fishing opportunitys in this area and all it takes is a great attitude and get out and have fun. But it's so important to know the basics, take a into course from any of the local flyshops, there about $150.00 bucks but money well spent with the knowledge gained. Mike @ country pleasures has a great program and so do many other local shops in the calgary area and even the university of calgary has a program.

If u need further help, pm me.

I took the Basic Fly Fishing Course through Country Pleasures, and I can second this statement. Awesome course, taught by none other than Jim McLennan.

Liked it so much, I am taking their Intermedate Course, Listenting to the Bow, next month.

thanks for all the great information. i went to the area where the bow meets jumping pound.and actually managed to catch a couple small guys.thanks for all the great info and looks like i an hooked already. need to get a set of waders, starting getting cold after and hour or so. any one know good set the doesnt cost a fortune?

Sallinger, I live in Cochrane and heard that the jumping pound creek has really good fishing, and If U go down first street and take the little turn of the street and head down the tracks towards calgary there is some good holes down there. If U are interested in a fishing partner send me a message, I am new to fly fishing too and very interested in exploring and finding new spots.

For the Jumping Pound, remember that a lot of the access points are on private land so you need to get permission!

P

Sallinger, I live in Cochrane and heard that the jumping pound creek has really good fishing, and If U go down first street and take the little turn of the street and head down the tracks towards calgary there is some good holes down there. If U are interested in a fishing partner send me a message, I am new to fly fishing too and very interested in exploring and finding new spots.

• 3 weeks later...

well i think i have had enough time spent fishing jumping pound. did fairly well over the past couple of weeks actually managed on over 13 inches pretty good for a small stream. anyways was hoping to move on to bigger and better things although i will always fish jumping pound. any one want to shoot me a pm on where i should go and possibly what dry flies they seem to be taking. i know this is alot to ask but hey.. worth a try right? also was thinking about doing a day trip to fortress lake. what do i need to know about area? how long is the hike in type of flies to use etc. maybe going closer to end of month. not sure yet. anyways if any one here is planning a evening trip close to cochrane this coming week and would like to have an amateur tag along and show me a thing or two, let me know. thanks alot.. i hope.lol..

Fortress Kananaskis, or Fortress Jasper?

P

well i think i have had enough time spent fishing jumping pound. did fairly well over the past couple of weeks actually managed on over 13 inches pretty good for a small stream. anyways was hoping to move on to bigger and better things although i will always fish jumping pound. any one want to shoot me a pm on where i should go and possibly what dry flies they seem to be taking. i know this is alot to ask but hey.. worth a try right? also was thinking about doing a day trip to fortress lake. what do i need to know about area? how long is the hike in type of flies to use etc. maybe going closer to end of month. not sure yet. anyways if any one here is planning a evening trip close to cochrane this coming week and would like to have an amateur tag along and show me a thing or two, let me know. thanks alot.. i hope.lol..

Well, you'll probably do quite well as I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fished in quite a few years as the bridge across the Kananaskis River has been out for about 3! So be prepared to hike an extra 5 km further then you'd normally hike (up the gravel road to the ski area)!

Lemme know when you are going in and we'll join you, I've been wanting to do that for quite awhile!! I know McLeod would also be interested and possibly JayHad (we're the backcountry guys on the board (that I know of ;) )

Peter

fortress kananaskis please.

right now i am trying to get a couple of us together for this saturday to make the trip into fortress lake. not positive yet, but there is some interest out there. any input on flies or if anyone has been that way in the last couple weeks let me know.how was the hike ? weather conditions? windy? flies to try?specific hatch that might be going on about now? any info would be great. thanks

Personally I can't make this weekend work, but will possibly be up near there the weekend of the 18/19th.

Lemme know.

Cheers,

P

right now i am trying to get a couple of us together for this saturday to make the trip into fortress lake. not positive yet, but there is some interest out there. any input on flies or if anyone has been that way in the last couple weeks let me know.how was the hike ? weather conditions? windy? flies to try?specific hatch that might be going on about now? any info would be great. thanks