Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A New Vest

I've been thinking of a new vest & was wondering what everyone uses, or recommends. Main thoughts are comfort & spreading the load. I could lessen the load but I use it for a tackle box kind of thing, I want to grab my vest and no matter where 'm going or what I doing streamers, drys or nymphing I know I have it with me not left behind at home or in my pickup.I cant find many choices which surprises me, Simms , Orvis, Cloudveil, & Ghillie.

Thanks in advance

I have a Fishpond "Wasatch" which never leaves me scrambling for gear. It is a vest/backpack combo complete with hydration bladder for those long hot days out on the stream. It has great storage pockets and easily accomodates my dry, nymph, streamer boxes (4 in total) as well as the backpack for sandwiches, extra spools, etc, etc. This vest was not cheap but Fishpond makes quality gear IMO and you get what you pay for.

If you are looking for some thing a little less traditional, and would be looking for something functional, I would maybe suggest a chest pack. I use the William Joseph Equinox and I LOVE it. I was in the same boat you currently are last summer and was trying to figure out what to do. I just ended up not liking the idea of a vest. They just seemed too bulky and I couldn't find a design that I actually liked.

Try some different options. Everyone has some different opinions of it, that can be found here..... http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...p;hl=chest+pack

Some other sites to check

http://www.williamjoseph.net

http://www.fishpondusa.com/

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1505F_...Sling-Pack.html

Just my opinion of course.

I've got a William Joseph Equinox and I love it. I'm like you I carry everything with me including the kitchen sink. It works great and has a pouch big enough for some water and a stream side snack/lunch.

No intention here to hijack the thread but for the guys and gals out there that take camera equipment with them what vest do you use? I have a great camera backpack but it gets in the way of my vest. Any suggstions?

No intention here to hijack the thread but for the guys and gals out there that take camera equipment with them what vest do you use? I have a great camera backpack but it gets in the way of my vest. Any suggstions?

Like you, I have the Equinox. I just put my camera and my phone in the pocket on the upper left. On the shoulder strap. Fits fine.

Unless of course you have a big DSLR or somehting, with a bunch of lenses and stuff. Then it wouldn't work at all. lol

Like you, I have the Equinox. I just put my camera and my phone in the pocket on the upper left. On the shoulder strap. Fits fine.

Unless of course you have a big DSLR or somehting, with a bunch of lenses and stuff. Then it wouldn't work at all. lol

Yeah I have an SLR and 4 lenses and a kitchen sink. Usually I carry my little Pentax Optio in the same pocket you are referring to but once in awhile I want to take some good shots while I'm out in back country. I tried putting the SLR in that pocket but the zipper wouldn't close. LOL!

I have a Fishpond "Wasatch" which never leaves me scrambling for gear. It is a vest/backpack combo complete with hydration bladder for those long hot days out on the stream. It has great storage pockets and easily accomodates my dry, nymph, streamer boxes (4 in total) as well as the backpack for sandwiches, extra spools, etc, etc. This vest was not cheap but Fishpond makes quality gear IMO and you get what you pay for.

Ditto! Great vest!

I personally do not use a vest as the added weight and my arm motions where causing very sore back (as soon as I got ride of the vest the sore back disappeared, but everyone that I know that uses a vest swear on either the Simms vest or the William Jospeh vest.

I once owned a William Jospeh jacket which I really liked alot and was at a resonsable prince, so I would suggest this line to anyone.

I've been using a Ghillie vest for about 5 years now. it's great with the larger backpack. Still in great shap after dozens of washes (some not intentional).Still use an Orvis cotton one that I received form the folks in the late 60"s. Have a few. Often for a quick day trip I use a wicker creel. Just the right size for a few fly boxes. Keeps the pop cold. Mind you it draws CO's like flies to honey. I think whatever you go for try one on so that the fit is good and comfortable.

I've got advice on what NOT to buy...

Two years ago, I bought a LOOP brand vest. The shoulders were made of Neoprene. My initial impression was that this material would be very stretchy and do a good job of spreading the weight across the shoulders. Not only is this the hottest vest I've ever worn, the rest of the components don't hold up. The loop in the back where your net goes fell out last summer - it wasn't stitched in properly. Zippers have jammed on it as well.

Before that I had a basic Columbia. Worked fine for over 10 years.

Eric.