Fly Fusion Forums

Speak Of The Devil

After posting that warning about bears and cougars - At about 7pm that evening I was headed out the old pit 69 road to McNair Pond, despite yelling my "yo-bears" and having bells on my bag I must have surprised a grizzly hidden away between the river and the road. He charged me head-on stopping about 5 feet short of me, then immediatly hooked a left and booked er into the woods. She actually sprayed my face with bits of gravel as she ran away and her stink stayed in my nose even after I got home.

There was no reaction on my part what-so-ever - I simply froze where I stood, in utter shock ! its a whole different ball of wax when one of em is running at you. The fear didn't really set in till I headed home, the area is a bit of terrain trap so there was no friggin way I was going to the pond fishing and coming back through that spot again after that one, not that fishing with quivering arms would have been pretty anyway LOL. It occured to me that the missus wouldn't report me missing until midnight, and that griz could have mowed me down like a I wasn't even there if she wanted, the whole thing added up to me not paying enough attention to my own advice

Knowing the risk I did choose to leave the dog at home, which in hindsight, was a very smart thing to do, but I failed to take a partner with me. For the next few weeks at least it looks like all those local noobs who have been asking to go out get their chance LOL.

Anyway gotta get back on the horse so I am headed out to McNair again tonight, but approaching from the north this time

You definitely feel an urge to check your shorts after a close encounter of the grizz kind. I've been charged twice, but the closest they came was about 20 yards. I had a closer encounter, but that bear was just peeling out after jumping up from a hollow about 10 yards away. What was really spooky about that one was that I then noticed a dead moose calf about 5 yards from where the bear had been lying. What are the odds on a grizz NOT defending a kill. Scary. Hope you have good luck fishing.

whoa scary stuff, good thing you came out unharmed. We had a less scary encounter yesterday at the livingstone, my buddy was fishing around the bend from me and a black bear came from the bushes behind him and crossed the river beside him. It didn't notice him until it had crossed the river, and when he did notice him he stopped and stared for a while but enough yelling sent him on his way.

Leave the dog at home and take an extra pair of gonch!!

What's going through the bear's mind today "I think I'll hang out on the north end tonight after that freaking human scared me last night..."

Been there Pipe - had to reach around behind me to ensure there wasn't any odd lumps in the back of my pants! shite washes off and we're both still kicking though!

PS - loose the bells as bears are curious creatures and bells are likely to attract younger ones to some degree trying to figure out that tinkling sound they keep hearing. If you're really freaked, buy an air horn and let it off once and a while. It's not perfect but it's shown itself to be better than bells.

What's going through the bear's mind today "I think I'll hang out on the north end tonight after that freaking human scared me last night..."

LOL grizz.

Glad you are Ok pipestone. You have more balls than I to go back n fish that area.

I'm glad your ok and nothing really came of it.

I've never been charged so I'm not sure what I would do in your place....

Probably poop and then pass out.

If you go up with a partner next time slip a bit of bacon in their pack, it should give you a couple minute head start. ;)

:o:o wow what a story!!! even with my particulary vivid imagination i've got a hard time imagining what it would be like to have a grizzly charge you. do you think your dog would still be alive if it was with you?

An ominous rippling wall of fur and muscle is all I ever remember - followed by a soft warm feeling in my gonch...

It's almost as if they are doing the butterfly stroke across the ground - I laugh at the folks who think they're gonna "quick draw" their bear spray, aim, and fire...

Most of the time...most of the time - they veer off just like Pipe's experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fellow from Texas once phoned a hunting guide up in B.C. and asked about hunting grizzlies with a handgun.

The guide said anything is possible - but he suggested that the fellow might be better off if he carefully filed down the barrel sight on his .44 before he came up hunting. The Texan said "Sure - if it helps!" then thought about it and asked "But why does it help?"

The guide replied calmly "That way when the bear takes your pistol away and shoves it up your ass - it won't hurt as much."

hahahaha Grizz....good one.

You guys are all freaking me out now. All this cougar and bear talk. I've never had a bear or cougar encounter in the 9 years we've been going down south. Why do I get the sick feeling my kharma is about to run out.

Glad you're OK Pipe and lived to type about it.