Fly Fusion Forums

Fish Creek Provincial Park

July 24, 2007

Copied from the Fish Creek Provincial Park web site.

http://tprc.alberta.ca/parks/fishcreek/whatnew.asp

FISH CREEK PROVINCIAL PARK

COUGAR ADVISORY

The Park is issuing this advisory in the interest of public safety and awareness.

Fish Creek Provincial Park would like to advise the public that a cougar has been

frequenting the Park area between Bebo Grove and Marshall Springs.

The cougar has been spotted by several members of the public over the last few days.

To date, the cougar has been feeding on natural prey (deer, rabbits) and has not

demonstrated any aggression towards people.

Cougars are rarely seen in Fish Creek, and in the past have been quick to leave the area

once the challenges of the surrounding urban environment become apparent. There are

significant populations of cougars throughout the nearby foothills and eastern slopes of

Kananaskis Country.

Park Conservation and Fish and Wildlife Officers are monitoring the situation and will

attempt to capture the cougar if opportunity allows. Cougar capture is extremely

difficult as these animals are wary and highly capable of evasion.

The Park is asking the public to avoid the area, consider using other areas of the Park,

and remember the following:

• Avoid using the Park at dawn or dusk when cougars are most active

• Travel in noisy groups with children close to adults

• Follow Park regulations and keep your pets leashed

• Carry a stick or pepper spray as a deterrent

If you encounter a cougar:

• Raise arms or stick in the air making yourself appear as large as possible

• Make eye contact, shout, be aggressive, and demonstrate you are dominate

• Keep small children and pets close by and do not allow them to run

• Throwing rocks and fighting back with any available tools have proven to be

effective in the event of an attack

• Contact the Park office at 297-5293

They should just bring in the hunting/tracking dogs and they would have that kitty up a tree in a couple hours.

Hell, I should go down there and tree him just for the fun of it, then call the Park Office and tell them I've got him cornered..LOL!

Who's with me?... Anyone? You're not afraid of kitties are you?

ps. Anyone got a couple of dogs I can take for a walk some late evening?

I wonder if he would take a size 0002 skid bitch. Should be a hell of a fight on the Spay rod. I'm sure he'll take me out to the backing.

Since he's feeding it doesn't sound like a problem cat. More that likely skedaddle once the weekend Yahoos hit the park. I imagine it's attractive with the park having many areas closed and not as many people around.

The cougar is there for the food, which consists of a lot of fat lazy deer and their fawns, rabbits, ducks and geese.

The cougar is in the Park, as it does not have to compete with other predators such as grizzlies, wolf packs, black bears and other cougars etc. I doubt the cat will be going anywhere before late september, when it will move back up to the foothills. If it disappears again, as the park office has said they have in the past, it does not mean that it has left the area for good, as cougars are nocturnal hunters/travellers and may be in another part of it's summer territory only a few miles away (say Policemans Flats) and will most likely return again.