What Side Do You Reel On?

136 members have voted

1. 1. what side do you reel on?

• cast w/ right arm, reel w/ right hand
    • cast w/ right arm, reel w/ left hand
    • cast w/ left arm, reel w/ left hand
    • cast w/ left arm, reel w/ right hand
    • go both ways [ambidexterous]

Most of them were novice, your right. Probably bad at line control to begin with, and then you combine the excitement of a hot fish on the other end of the rod and their "off hand" loses ALL co-ordination LOL :)

HAHA fair enough

Just curious but..... does it matter?

Kind of my thought too. With a single hander I've always cast right and reeled left. When I picked up the two hander people said if you cast right hand dominant then you should be reeling right handed as well for various reasons. I tried it but found it too awkward so went back to reeling left handed on the two handers as well. Go with whatever you're most comfortable with.

I cast right/reel left

except- when fishing the Switch or Two-Hander I reel with my right hand. I found it amazing how many times my line would hook the reel handle when I was shooting line with a spey cast, it was suggested to me to turn my reel around (Thanks C.) and now no more problems. As well having the lower handle of the spey/switch rod allows you to tuck it into your gut and it takes a lot less strength of the non-dominant arm to fight/land a fish, even a monster Spring.

Colin

Cast right, reel left...........why switch hands........You don't switch for the "other".......;)
so , i see you posing with that bonefish and your rod is in your left hand ,so i guess you reached for that fish with your right hand. for a guy that doesnt switch. hmm. just my thought . no harm intended. right is right and left is

so , i see you posing with that bonefish and your rod is in your left hand ,so i guess you reached for that fish with your right hand. for a guy that doesnt switch. hmm. just my thought . no harm intended. right is right and left is

Hmm. I catch a bonefish, (which, from what I understand, is an accomplishment.) I want to get a picture holding said bonefish (or any other fish for that matter..) I'm probably going to pick it up with my dominant hand, no? But perhaps not all people would do so I guess. Risk dropping it, etc. for the sake of, well, who knows what?

Hmmm according to the thumb test I should be a lefty but I am not

Reel with right, cast with right strip with left - transition has never been a problem, left finger controls drag while I switch - I spey both ways - and will roll cast left once in a while.

Searching the internet for this thumb test i could not find any thing that dealt with dominant hand. However there is a site that claims it tells you whether you are right brain dominant or left brain dominant... Check it out Test 3

It seems like most of us are right brain dominant... "and thus excel in visual, spatial and intuitive tasks"

Searching the internet for this thumb test i could not find any thing that dealt with dominant hand. However there is a site that claims it tells you whether you are right brain dominant or left brain dominant... Check it out Test 3

It seems like most of us are right brain dominant... "and thus excel in visual, spatial and intuitive tasks"

Interesting. According to that, I'm actually left-brain dominant. Which makes sense with the "verbal and analytical" comment..

I'm also "self-centered" according to the first test.. haha

But!!!

Are not left handed folks right brain dominant whereas the reverse is also true.

Don

I think so... because I remember my dad's best friend always joking when I was young that "left-handed people are the only ones in their right mind".