Fly Fusion Forums

Spiders (wet Flies)

SilverDoctor

Cos I'm and old bugger I love fishing Wet flies. Have used them since the Sixties. I find them deadly but also get great satisfaction form swinging them. Guess because they where used by my Father and Grandfather. Love the movement. I often revert to classic Bamboo or Glass rods when playing with wets as it takes me into a nostalgic mood. Use them in big and small water. The top ones are POP's = Partridge-Orange-Peacock and PYP = Partridge-Yellow-Peacock, bottom are variations of the Leisenring’s Spider that can make a nice emerging Caddis. You need particularly soft Partridge skins for a nice wiggly hackle. It's also important to use real silk (notably like Pearsall's Silk, Gossamer) as it turns translucence in water. I quite enjoy tying and fishing these.

wets.jpg

The top wet flies are POP (Partridge-Orange-Peacock) Fly

Hook - Mustad Model 3906 (my favorite is Size 6)

Head - Black or yellow Pearsalls Gossamer silk

Underbody and Tag - Silver Tinsel (Holographic looks nice too)

Rear Body - Pearsalls Gossamer silk in color desired wrapped over the silver tinsel

Wing Cover - Single strand of Holographic Flashabou

Front Body - Real Peacock Herl (reinforced in a dubbing loop)

Hackle - Sparse Partridge Body back Feather

Note about the name of the fly:

POP = Partridge-Orange-Peacock

PPP = Partridge-Purple-Peacock

PRP = Partridge-Red-Peacock

PGP = Partridge-Green-Peacock

PYP = Partridge-Yellow-Peacock

PBP = Partridge-Blue-Peacock

The bottom flies are based on the the Leisenring’s Spider

Hook - Mustad Model 3906 (my favorite is Size 6 to 10)

Head - yellow or green Pearsalls Gossamer silk

Tag - copper wire (the copper wire is then wound as a rib)

Rear Body - dubbed with hares mask with the guard hairs in place (I also love muskrat)

Back Cover - Single strand of Holographic Flashabou

Hackle - Sparse Partridge Body Feather

Nice ties. Soft hackles were working pretty good the few times I've been able to find time on the water this year. I've got a good supply of softhackle materials like Plover and starling I should start using. :)

Haven't been able to find Plover, let me know if you see any locally. Still have a couple starlings from my time in BC. They where a nuance bird there and I stocked up.

nuisance bird here too, grab your 410 and have at'er

Haven't been able to find Plover, let me know if you see any locally. Still have a couple starlings from my time in BC. They where a nuance bird there and I stocked up.

Never seen them here, get mine from the UK when they are available, it's been getting harder to get good quality ones though.

Look for young birds when checking for good hackle.

doc

nice looking wets , i still use wets all the time , i even got some from BH BOBBIE from the bamboo club over the winter , he also just got some starlings , check with him if your looking for the good ol stuff to tie wets

Nice ties Silver. Yeah you gotta be old I have only been using wets since the 70's. Don't use them as much I used to though. Maybe time to get back into them....thanks for the pic and patterns

Nice ties Silver. Yeah you gotta be old I have only been using wets since the 70's. Don't use them as much I used to though. Maybe time to get back into them....thanks for the pic and patterns

I grew up in a fly fishing family (Father and Grandfather) so I had a fly rod in my hand from age 5. Thus the number of years fishing. Dad bought me a bamboo rod at birth which I incidentally still have and fish. Most kids had a paper route, I tied flies for the local fishing shop. Weird childhood.