Fly Fusion Forums

Emerging Stone

SilverDoctor

The Emerging Stone works well fished through Golden stone season. The fly tends to sit low on the water and makes a nice bumbling commotion. Great for late evening Browns, can drive em a bit nutsy. I like to make the collar out of Squirrel tail or deer hair from the back area as it doesn't flair as much. Like to wing it with turkey.

stoneemerging.jpg

Materials

Hook -8 to 10 long shank or curved nymph

body - deer hair

Collar-Squirrel

Down wing - Turkey partridge or hen body feather.

Antenna - 2 wood duck fibers

• 1 month later...

yes i'll second that doc , nice stone ,

i can't wait till we hook up and i sneek into your box of goodies , love your wets also , you like tradeing

Nice tie Doc,any chance you could do a brief step by step?No pics just in what order.Thanks.

Here you go Tungsten

I often use yellow or brown thread for this one. Dress the hook with thread to the curve of the shank. Take a clump of deer hair (half the size of a pencil) don't bother stacking but remove the guard fuzz. Slide the cut ends up the back of the shank so there is an even bunch top and bottomjust short of the eye of the hook. Bind the deer hair along the shank of the hook with loose wraps at first so it doesn't flair then tighten up the wraps. you should now have the deer hair flared out at the back of the shank. Take your thread wraps back to where the first tie off segment will be. Fold the deer hair forward and tie off the first segment. Continue up the shank tying off segments. Tie off the deer hair and cut off the excess. Tie in a short collar of Squirrel. Stack the squirrel first like you would deer hair. Take a slip of turkey or a partridge body feather. Wipe a bit of head cement on the feather and wipe it between you fingers. it will thin out the feather. tie it in at the head curving across the back no longer than the curve of the hook. Add antenna made of wood duck or other barred fibers (Optional).

Hope the steps make sense.