Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Boxes

I carry about 8 boxes of flies. Some for me and some for my wife and a few that i keep in the boat. I dont buy flies but am pretty sure ive spent enough on tying materials to buy enough flies to last me and my wife a few life times lol .

Guest JayVee

I love buying gear and flies too. But, this is my second season and I'm learning more and more about entomology and patterns and I can see a day where I will carry a lot less varieties. Do you seasoned veterans agree with this?

I have found that carrying one large C & F box with a good assortment of drys, nymphs, wets and streamers is all I need.

I used to carry several boxs, but found I seldom opened many of them. I do have more boxs with flies in my pick up in case I loose several patterns, or find the fish are taking a pattern I do not have.

I just got tired of packing all those extra boxs that I did not even look in, let alone use a fly from them.

I'm a bit of a minimalist I carry two boxes in the summer, dries and nymphs. In the winter I have nymphs and streamers. If I'm fishing a real small stream I have just one and in lakes just one too. I tie my own flies and find I go through a fair amount, I lose about a dozen in a days fishing, a lot on the bottom, a few to fish and lots to my favorite Charlie Brownish fly eating tree. Which from looking at, reminds me of a Christmas tree with ornaments, except in this case there's a few indicators, a couple of streamers and assortment of nymphs and worms. So I'm sure some you have helped decorate it too.

I have 13 boxes in total. But some of these are old and I no longer carry on my person, but they still have some flies that I rarely use so I keep them in my cabinet. I usually carry about 6 with me when I fish.

1 - small nymphs/chironomids

1 - dragons/damsels

1 - brookie flies

1 - streamers/woolly buggers

1 - shrimp/scuds/boatmen/backswimmers

1 - dries

I keep in my cabinet

1- stoneflies

1- big dries/hoppers

2- streamers

+ a few other ratty/old boxes full of misc flies I rarely use